Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, I will admit that one Fire set with the owl (i.e. set no. 60247) does kinda scream Jack Stone to me... :wacko: ...um, maybe it's a subtle homage? :def_shrug:

4603-1.jpg?200101131200

That was exactly what was I was thinking too!

These sets are terrible. My wallet will be happy. 

Wow.

This is, hands down, the worst Police wave ever produced. Everything from the infantile set designs to the one-piece gimmicky "Helicopter" that's straight out of a dollar store clearance bin just screams lazy. Sure, the boxes say ages 5+ but they're doubtless going to price these like they're regular sets, or maybe even give them an unjustifiable markup like they do with their other Juniors sets. Lego should be embarrassed :hmpf_bad:

Oh, so I am not only one?
The only set I want is the Monstertruck with bank because it has good pieces for me.
Glad to magnets to be back, but wish they would be smaller.

I like the motorcycle from helicopter chase and.... that's about it! LOL. I thought Police line has been sliding downhill since after the 2008 wave. But this... It's racing downhill. It's just a joke! I get it, we can justify these are targeting 5 y.o. kids, but come on! Kids were around 10 years ago and did OK with the level of the complexity there was. It seems like they are starting to forget what Lego is all about and repeating the same mistakes they did in the early 2000s.

16 minutes ago, AnyColourYouLike said:

We're starting a new decade with some wonderful sets, aren't we? 

This makes me worry about the other sets in the City lineup. If their main flagship - police - is getting such treatment.

On the side note - just took a look at the new Friends sets. They look amazing and better each year!

All the above is my personal opinion. I'm happy actually. Going to save some money for the expert sets this year!

I think this is a excellent wave of police/fire sets!

Why you say?!
Because I never buy police and fire sets anymore, so I look at if it has any new parts for me :wink:

1. it has a new English bulldog piece so already there it is a winner :sweet:
  2. It has the owl in a new color :thumbup:

Some other observations:

1. the flying helicopters and especially the magnets is something I would have loved when I was a kid
  2. from what I can see there is a lot of females :thumbup: 7 male cops and 7 male robbers, but also 5 female cops and 5 female robbers :sweet:
  3. I like that the criminals have a dog to fight the police dog :grin:
  4. It is also really funny that the set with the mafioso called Vito has a create of fish in it :grin: I wonder which minfig that is sleeping with the fishes :tongue:

Remove the animals, minifigs and new play-features and the rest it is not very impressive to me as a AFOL, but I am sure the kids will love it :wink:

@Roebuck You crazy as hell, dude. The only thing I would probably get these for is to expand on bricks. Otherwise, I'd try to find the last police station on clearance. 

I mean yes Lego City is for children. But at least back in 2008, police sets were tasteful. 

17 minutes ago, pooda said:

@Roebuck You crazy as hell, dude. The only thing I would probably get these for is to expand on bricks. Otherwise, I'd try to find the last police station on clearance. 

I mean yes Lego City is for children. But at least back in 2008, police sets were tasteful. 

Crazy as he might be, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way. :wink:

But like you(pooda), the police station is where I will wait for clearance as $100 is not suited for that set.

8 hours ago, AMD said:

I hope that "Flying Helicopters" would only be used for one year because that would be disappointing to the eyes of an AFOL. Then again, this is targeted for kids so let's see how this works in 2020.

AFOLs have complained about the frequency of helicopters in City, so LEGO might as well go all out and make them as playable as possible for kids. I would have loved these flying ones when I was a kid. We had similar toys, but not lego compatible ones.

6 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

I'm really disappointed about 1. we're getting another bank and not something new like a jewelry store

We are getting a jewelry store:

LEGO-City-2020-60241-Police-Dog-Unit-1-6

Sure it is simple, but it shows that if you want any building to be a jewelry store just put some jewels in it.

Sets like this show kids can act out an action scene, such as the theft of a jewel and the subsequent police chase and capture of the robber, with an incredibly small amount of parts.

Edited by MAB

6 hours ago, Maple said:

And because I'm a sarcastic little....

World City is a googol times better than these sets. :tongue:

A googol is the large number 10100. In decimal notation, it is written as the digit 1 followed by one hundred zeroes: 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.
:iamded_lol::iamded_lol::iamded_lol::iamded_lol::rofl::roflmao::rofl::roflmao::rofl::roflmao::rofl::roflmao::rofl::roflmao:

I would love to have your enigma. Do share me your knowledge of wisdom with this beautiful word you spoke off.

Jokes aside, I do understand your point of view but isn't lego city supposed to be targeting for kids? They're focus on play more than aesthetics but some themes cover the other way around. Lego Creator Expert is the best example as it hinders more on AFOLS. So whether you like it or not, City is focused more on kids who just wanted to play and having a good time with their toys.
Edited by AMD

21 minutes ago, MAB said:

AFOLs have complained about the frequency of helicopters in City,

I loved the extra helicopters. Matter of fact, seeing the ones that will be released in 2020, this is actually the first time I don't like the helicopters. 

Edited by pooda

14 minutes ago, pooda said:

I loved the extra helicopters. Matter of fact, seeing the ones that will be released in 2020, this is actually the first time I don't like the helicopters. 

So what is wrong with this 2020 one ...

LEGO-City-2020-60243-Police-Helicopter-C

compared to this 2017 one?

60138-1.jpg

11 minutes ago, MAB said:

So what is wrong with this 2020 one ...

snip

compared to this 2017 one?

snip

I think what he's trying to say is the "Flying Helicopters" gimmick. That to me is not my cup of tea but I have no complaints with the one you posted which is "buildable" :wink:

Edited by AMD

2 minutes ago, AMD said:

I think what he's trying to say is the "Flying Helicopters" gimmick. That to me is not my cup of tea but I have no complaints with the one you posted which is "buildable" :wink:

Don't worry. I get that a lot from him. Even I try to agree with him, he finds something to "correct" me on. 

14 minutes ago, pooda said:

Don't worry. I get that a lot from him. Even I try to agree with him, he finds something to "correct" me on. 

You said you've seen the ones (plural) to be released in 2020 and don't like them. The buildable one is very similar to previous ones, so if you like previous ones there is still something for you in the 2020 range. LEGO is doing something extra here, not taking away brick-built helicopters (or brick-built sets in general).

I think it is great that LEGO are putting other play features in City sets, especially aimed at younger kids. They have learnt that things like spinners and fliers have been relatively popular in Ninjago, so it is good they are trying out other ideas in their core City range. It is fairly necessary that they are simple construction, since if they are brick-built they will break when they hit the floor. LEGO has catered and is still catering for people that want brick-built vehicles. Yet they do something extra, even though the majority of new sets still follow the build styles they have done in the past, and they get slammed for it.

12 minutes ago, MAB said:

LEGO is doing something extra here, not taking away brick-built helicopters (or brick-built sets in general)

I believe there's only one 'buildable' helicopter in this wave of sets...

There's only 1 true junior set in this wave and that's the 4+ one, the rest uses plates/bricks very similar parts usages to  2017 Police.

Yes, the Flying helicopters are simple, but they have to be, they are 100% playthings, not a building experience, as LEGO has tried other play features in recent times like parachutes and Ninjago Flyers.

But City has been using such parts for a long time , in fact 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 Police/Fire helicopters used such parts, alongside some subthemes like Medical or Arctic, or the 2019 Fire Plane.

Even so, the 2019 Creator 3-in-1 Twin Rotor helicopter could fit into City or be changed to a single rotor.

31096-1.jpg?201905140825

That said , the 2019 Sky Police Helicopter is actually very good imo, different, yes, but good, even if you don't use the net shooter.

tn_60207_alt3_jpg.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

5 minutes ago, AnyColourYouLike said:

I believe there's only one 'buildable' helicopter in this wave of sets...

Yes, so you can still get a brick-built helicopter if you like brick-built-helicopters. The last City Police helicopter in this style was 2017 (I think). So they are not taking away brick-built helicopters, but they are adding some simplified ones with the flying play feature. Again, I still don't see what the problem is.

Lego city is worse and worse every year. Especially Police and firefighter sets. Only improvements are on more and more detailed fugures and some accesories and pets. The rest is just garbage. But I do understand that these are for young kids.. its just way too <insert that tiresome argument>...

4 minutes ago, MAB said:

Yes, so you can still get a brick-built helicopter if you like brick-built-helicopters. The last City Police helicopter in this style was 2017 (I think). So they are not taking away brick-built helicopters, but they are adding some simplified ones with the flying play feature. Again, I still don't see what the problem is.

That's what they did in the '90 and it didn't work out very well for them.