Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

Sets look good at first glance , some do come close to what I predicted.

Those "Flying Helicopters" seem like made up of only a few parts but I can see the play value for kids in them, as they have proven with Spinjitzu spinners/flyers before.

As for myself : likely getting the Police HQ, Forest Fire (set with owl), and Highway Arrest (2 cars) sets first, possibly the Monstertruck/Bank set as well.

Of course need to see final prices and more pictures overall, but the set prices on the Fire Helicopter set rumored at €25 could be true now with that flying mechanism, despite it's low parts count <100

Edited by TeriXeri

1 minute ago, TeriXeri said:

As for myself : likely getting the Police HQ, Forest Fire (set with owl), and Highway Arrest (2 cars) sets first, possibly the Monstertruck/Bank set as well.

The Police HQ is definitely on my list. I did say I wanted something simple. This will suffice. It looks like they're following the same system as the 60110 Fire Station with the connectors. I'll probably end up removing those. 

Edited by pooda

Just now, pooda said:

The Police HQ is definitely on my list. I did say I wanted something simple. This will suffice. It looks like they're following the same system as the 60110 Fire Station.  

Seems to use technic pins to re-arrange it a bit as well, likely can put prison / gate / main building sections apart.

2 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Seems to use technic pins to re-arrange it a bit as well, likely can put prison / gate / main building sections apart.

You could too. I'd put the gate up front. 

I've got a feeling the 2020 decade is going to be a new decade for the City theme. 

10 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Sets look good at first glance , some do come close to what I predicted.

Those "Flying Helicopters" seem like made up of only a few parts but I can see the play value for kids in them, as they have proven with Spinjitzu spinners/flyers before.

I hope that "Flying Helicopters" would only be used for one year because that would be disappointing to the eyes of an AFOL. Then again, this is targeted for kids so let's see how this works in 2020.

On the other hand. Love the builds for police hq and monster truck/bank. Still waiting for the Ice cream truck though.

14 minutes ago, AMD said:

I hope that "Flying Helicopters" would only be used for one year because that would be disappointing to the eyes of an AFOL. Then again, this is targeted for kids so let's see how this works in 2020.

I assume it's a 1-wave thing, like the Parachutes of 2019 (which function fine as I have one)

14 minutes ago, MAH4546 said:

These new police sets look to be among the worst City sets I have seen in a long time. Town Jr. anybody?

I don't see it as "Jr." beside the 4+ set.

I can understand the compromises made on the Helicopters for play so they have to be simple and remind me of  toys like this, but I also hope those are the only 2 sets doing that this year. 

They do remind of toys like this : 

PULL-STRING-HELICOPTERS-MX435.jpg_350x35

But also Ninjago had flyers in 2015 and 2018 :

70646-1.jpg?201806020247

Edited by TeriXeri

just saw the new set pics. police station looks alright, the magnets are really cool. i do not like the new helicopter blade's though. exited to see more pics!

9 minutes ago, MAH4546 said:

These new police sets look to be among the worst City sets I have seen in a long time. Town Jr. anybody?

Well, I will admit that one Fire set with the owl (i.e. set no. 60247) does kinda scream Jack Stone to me... :wacko: ...um, maybe it's a subtle homage? :def_shrug:

4603-1.jpg?200101131200

14 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, I will admit that one Fire set with the owl (i.e. set no. 60247) does kinda scream Jack Stone to me... :wacko: ...um, maybe it's a subtle homage? :def_shrug:

Certainly looks a lot better then that to me, seeing how it uses more varied and smaller parts. 

Might not be a huge volume set for around €10 but that's how many small City sets go now since 2019 , still a fair deal imo. 

Directly compared to 2019 I like the 2020 set better.

60212-1.jpg?201811301044

4+ sets have their place, I just skip them myself.

At least they reversed fire and police 4+ sets2019 had a €10  patrol car, 2020 a 4+ police set with the dog unit.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

Certainly looks a lot better then that to me, seeing how it uses a more and smaller parts. 

Well, by that comparison, I wasn't critiquing the build quality as much as I was just noting how similar the two are in format. I mean, both the set and the example I cited are canopied buggies with grill guards and emergency lights located in the rear in the same manner.

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, by that comparison, I wasn't critiquing the build quality as much as I was just noting how similar the two are in format. I mean, both the set and the example I cited are canopied buggies with grill guards and emergency lights located in the rear in the same manner.

Oh yeah, in that aspect, definately very similar in shape / location of lights / bars . :thumbup:

Those helicopters look like a lot of fun to play with, but they're not Lego.  They're Lego-compatible flying toys manufactured and sold by Lego.  I'll probably end up buying one anyway, because they do look fun.  Looks like I also ought to finally bite the bullet and get myself a 60141 police station from 2017 before they're all gone.

22 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Just a direct link for those who don't venture over to Instagram for pics. :wink:

Ah. 

13 minutes ago, icm said:

Those helicopters look like a lot of fun to play with, but they're not Lego.  They're Lego-compatible flying toys manufactured and sold by Lego

WUT. 

Ok....I hope it isn't permanent. Otherwise, I've lost hope in helicopters from City. 

Edited by pooda

6 minutes ago, pooda said:

Ah. 

WUT. 

Ok....I hope it isn't permanent. Otherwise, I've lost hope in helicopters from City. 

You mean there was hope for City helicopters? News to me. 

Anyway, these sets serve their purpose, as gateways for younger kids. They aren’t aimed at AFOLs, so we shouldn’t be too critical or concerned. For what it’s worth, the ripcord helicopters do look like a fun gimmick. Better than last year’s parachutes. 

I’m going to get the Police Station all the same. Not because I particularly like it, but my city needs a police station and this is still the best one in three years (no dice on getting the 2017 one in Australia) and will probably be easy to modify for my needs. I’m reluctant on the rest because it’s mostly just standard City fare with a couple of neat minifigs, but the Monster Truck set does look fun, plus those magnet parts are neat and might be useful. 

4 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

You mean there was hope for City helicopters? News to me. 

Of course there was. The helicopters before these were much better. 

7 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I’m going to get the Police Station all the same.

That's probably the only redeeming thing about this wave. That and the bank set. 

Party like it's 1999 because welcome back City Center! 

I always wanted a LEGO helicopter I didn't need to build because that's what LEGO is all about! Not building things! Oh wait....

I mean I didn't expect much from the theme, but wow this is a disaster.

Thank you very much for the link, @Digger of Bricks! :classic:

I completely agree with @MAH4546! These all look like Juniors / 4+ / Town Junior sets! :thumbdown:

I'm really disappointed about 1. we're getting another bank and not something new like a jewelry store and 2. even more that this bank is only one floor big - that's a big regress! :cry_sad:

Hopefully the Great Vehicles and all the other sets then in 2020 won't be that low quality than these - if nevertheless, we really will need that CIty D2C set in order to get at least one interesting and nice City set that year!

Dude these are almost DUPLO :oh:

Very simple and basic. That Bank is barely a thing, and why there is a diamond right in the middle of the sidewalk

Friends sets are far far superior

And because I'm a sarcastic little....

World City is a googol times better than these sets. :tongue:

And did anyone bring up he new MASSIVE magnet pieces in two of the sets? That's what he big yellow round thing is. 

Edited by Maple