Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

17 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

I hope there is gonna be more large city plan sets this year. last one was in 2018.

Donut Shop opening sort of was this year's city plan set, alongside Downtown Fire and Ski Resort, that's 3 large sets with vehicles+buildings for City for 2019.

Edited by TeriXeri

17 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

I hope there is gonna be more large city plan sets this year. last one was in 2018.

In my opinion, the best years for City were 2005-2011, 2013-2014 and 2017. 

Just now, TeriXeri said:

Donut Shop opening kind of was this year's city plan set, they just made is smaller to also have room to release large sets like Downtown Fire and Ski Resort.

The Doughnut Shop Opening was a large set too. The next City plan set should be a housing development set. 

.....and why would they need to make room for other sets? Sell those alongside it. 

Edited by pooda

4 minutes ago, pooda said:

In my opinion, the best years for City were 2005-2011, 2013-2014 and 2017. 

The Doughnut Shop Opening was a large set too. 

.....and why would they need to make room for other sets? Sell those alongside it. 

I fixed my post, "making room" didnt make sense.

I more meant it in the way instead of 1 €140 set, they had 3 other large sets for 2019 (€80 Donut, €80 Ski and €100 Downtown Fire in my country)

Even if you leave out the Fire set, that's 2x €80 sets instead  of 1 €140.

City Space sets at €100 and €140 sitting high up there as well but those are part of subtheme so I won't compare it to Capital City.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

I fixed my post, "making room" didnt make sense.

I more meant it in the way instead of 1 €140 set, they had 3 other large sets for 2019 (€80 Donut, €80 Ski and €100 Downtown Fire in my country)

Even if you leave out the Fire set, that's 2x €80 sets instead  of 1 €140.

Understood. I also edited mine too saying that the next town plan should be a housing development. After all, the cops, firefighters and doctors in Lego City do need somewhere to call home. 

Just now, pooda said:

Understood. I also edited mine too saying that the next town plan should be a housing development. After all, the cops, firefighters and doctors in Lego City do need somewhere to call home. 

2017 + 2018 were pretty strong years for creator 3-in-1 houses, in comparison  I feel 2019 was pretty weak, outside of the Pet Store/Townhouse and Emmet's House from TLM2.

Hopefully 2020 is better, but if it follows previous years, usually the larger 3-in-1 sets are in the summer waves.

Just now, TeriXeri said:

2017 + 2018 were pretty strong years for creator 3-in-1 houses, in comparison  I feel 2019 was pretty weak, outside of the Pet Store/Townhouse and Emmet's House from TLM2.

Hopefully 2020 is better, but if it follows previous years, usually the larger 3-in-1 sets are in the summer waves.

2020 will be better. That's usually when the only real police will be released. 

I saw what looked like an ice cream van in Lego City Adventures. It used the post 2013, rounded front design used on the 2017 pizza van. To be honest, I was genuinely surprised they were doing an ice cream van. Their last one would be a tough act to follow!

icm01.jpg

Considering that the 60256 Racing Cars set has 190 pieces, I'm praying hard that its vehicle pack with updated F1 cars that are colored similar to the ones in these sets.

latest?cb=20090913132928latest?cb=20090913133021

9 hours ago, pooda said:

Considering that the 60256 Racing Cars set has 190 pieces, I'm praying hard that its vehicle pack with updated F1 cars that are colored similar to the ones in these sets.

latest?cb=20090913132928latest?cb=20090913133021

Now that would be cool. The first Lego set I ever owned was one of these race cars. More specifically the white Octan sponsored car.

lego-slick-racer-set-6546-4.jpg

No, lego won’t make those legends again. They are now considered as too primitive. I guess if they decide to release race cars in the city, they will be way bigger. Just remember Capital city. In that set there’s a race car and it’s as big as Speed Champions cars.

Just now, Night City Dream said:

No, lego won’t make those legends again. They are now considered as too primitive. I guess if they decide to release race cars in the city, they will be way bigger. Just remember Capital city. In that set there’s a race car and it’s as big as Speed Champions cars.

Sports car you mean? That wasn't even near as big as speed champions cars.

...and as far as them being "primative".... I said they were based off of them. Like as in....the colors. Not the design in general. 

Don't have that one. I prefer four stud wide for civilian vehicles. 

As for the race cars, if they had body of the F1 car from set 60025 and similar color schemes to the cars in sets 6335, 6337 and 6546, it could work. Just update the bodies to today's standards. 

Edited by pooda

It's weird that we didn't get any airport sets this year... LEGO gives us new airport sets every three years and the last time we've had any was in 2016. 

Maybe we'll get some next year? 

Just now, AnyColourYouLike said:

It's weird that we didn't get any airport sets this year... LEGO gives us new airport sets every three years and the last time we've had any was in 2016. 

Maybe we'll get some next year? 

In my opinion, Airport is one of the City subthemes that should be on a 3 year rotation. Construction and Medical should be on a three year rotation too. 

@AnyColourYouLike Tbh, we technically got a construction theme in 2015. It was called Demolition Experts though - which was in a way an extension to Construction. Why they decided to do that instead of just reviving the better selling and more popular construction subtheme, I don't know. My assumption was to desperately attract kids. Didn't work apparently. Obviously it backfire tremendously considering that it was one of those one and done subthemes. Similar to the Garage subtheme from 2009. Given that the latter exited the shelves almost immediately after they were released, it must've been one of those subthemes that TLG wanted to get rid of FAST!!!!!! 

Anyhoo! I also hope that the City takes one year to focus on the little jobs. I'm still protesting this, but I really want to see a Buses subtheme. It was initially Metro Transit, but then trains would have to be included. But Trains is already used so...yeah! That's out of the question. I also hope to see a Postal Service subtheme, a Pizza Delivery subtheme and a revival of the Medical, Harbor and Cargo subthemes from the 2000s. I also wished for an Automotive subtheme. But I think that's what set numbers 60256, 60257 and 60258 are tied in to an upcoming automotive theme. 

I do worry that these won't happen however considering that TLG needs to save their bricks for more "important" subject matters such as police and explorers. 

Edited by pooda

@pooda Yeah, there's so much stuff they could do, so many subthemes they could revisit...

But I doubt if they 're ever gonna do that. Quite the opposite, I think. This summer we got only one subtheme - Space, while normally we would've gotten two; last year it was Arctic and Trains, while in 2017 Jungle Explorers and Coast Guard.

And from what I've read in this very thread, next year we're gonna get some more fire and police sets (how exciting). So it seems like they wanna keep doing the same thing over and over again and do the least they can do instead of expanding the range of sets.

Why does LEGO even call it 'LEGO City" anymore, if it's just fire & police stations with some additional vehicles?! 

By the way, we're gonna get a subway in the next wave of Hidden Side sets, so if you really want to, you could try "squezzing' it into LEGO City. 

5 hours ago, AnyColourYouLike said:

@pooda Yeah, there's so much stuff they could do, so many subthemes they could revisit...

But I doubt if they 're ever gonna do that. Quite the opposite, I think. This summer we got only one subtheme - Space, while normally we would've gotten two; last year it was Arctic and Trains, while in 2017 Jungle Explorers and Coast Guard.

Yeah. That kinda sucks. But I would like to keep hope alive that they will do it one day. 

But yeah. I was hoping for another subtheme. I guess the Lego City Adventures kinda count as the other theme for the summer. 

And from what I've read in this very thread, next year we're gonna get some more fire and police sets (how exciting). So it seems like they wanna keep doing the same thing over and over again and do the least they can do instead of expanding the range of sets.

Next years police in my opinion, is the best police theme out there. Why? Because that police theme fits under City as it is in the city limits. In my opinion, City needs to stay within the City limits. Other people can bust my chips about it all they want to. They're not my heart. 

Why does LEGO even call it 'LEGO City" anymore, if it's just fire & police stations with some additional vehicles?! 

Fire only comes every three years. It's just two fire sets coming next year. So I don't really have a big issue with the fire sets. Police stations is a totally different subject. 

I do have to agree though. I mean why call it Lego City if we almost only see police sets, explorers sets and great vehicles? 

Probably because it'll be easier for children to understand. But the system, while it does help Lego City stay alive, kinda defeats the purpose. At least two years from now, I'm betting that City will be split into two halves and renamed renamed Lego Police and Lego Explorers.

By the way, we're gonna get a subway in the next wave of Hidden Side sets, so if you really want to, you could try "squezzing' it into LEGO City. 

I could. But I have OCD. It wouldn't look right to me. I mean you can do it. But I won't. 

Edited by pooda

7 hours ago, pooda said:

In my opinion, Airport is one of the City subthemes that should be on a 3 year rotation. Construction and Medical should be on a three year rotation too. 

Yes about airport. I need some new commercial airliners to go with the blue one released last time. 

I'm also waiting for a school from City. I mean, all they have to do is do some recoloring and some tweaks to Friends set number 41134. 

lego_41134_prod_pri_1488.jpg?l.r=-145028

Edited by pooda