Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

Thanks to @dimaks13, we have our first rumor of what 2020 holds in store for the City theme!

Discuss and speculate away! :classic:

60271 Main Square

September 1 release.

1517 pieces, 14 Minifigures. $199.99 USD, 229.99 CAD, 179.99 EUR (varies), $279.99 AUD, $319.99 NZD

lego-60271-city-mainsquare_02.thumb.jpg.09c8f39b5b03db037fae6eb4c9ab5f4f.jpg

lego-60271-city-mainsquare_04-1400x784.thumb.jpg.f1bcea4d55e45d35406029121e31abb4.jpg

See LEGO.com for all of the pictures.

(Linking here to put in the right thread, check the actual post for the tweet as it isn't going through along with my comment)

Edited by jhuyser

Pure guessing here:

Since the Fire Station and Dockside are connectable, maybe there will be a larger Fire Boat set as well as it's missing from 2019.

I also think we get City Police again, but a Police Boat is still possible if they make it dockside like the 2019 Fire Station.

I liked the fact that the Fire Station was focused on the building, and the big Fire playset was seperate.

As for the big City subtheme just thinking of patterns of previous subthemes which are around 4-year cycles but nothing is 100% predictable.

Possibly some renewal of a Sea/Harbour theme, 2011 had Harbour, 2015 had Deep Sea/Space.  2019 had Space but no ships beside the Diving Yacht and smaller Fire craft (small boat + jetski), Sky Police had aircraft.

I don't expect Coast-Guard for 2020 but for 2021. (2017 last time)

2016 had Airport  and Volcano Explorers.  Sky Police will still be on shelves in 2020 so Airport could tie-in to that a bit. As for the other subtheme, no idea, Possibly some exploration outside of the city (Desert/Outback , Farm, Forest )

Edited by TeriXeri

Considering the standard fire subtheme has been on a regular three-year rotation since 2010, I'm assuming this means a revival of the forest fire sets or some other specialized iteration?

9 minutes ago, tafkatb said:

Considering the standard fire subtheme has been on a regular three-year rotation since 2010, I'm assuming this means a revival of the forest fire sets or some other specialized iteration?

We do have the Fire Plane set for 2019 (with 2 trees and a skunk), so more Forest sets could work in some way. be it industrial or nature preservation (Deer Mold?)

Volcano and Jungle were more exotic outside-city themes as well.

We had some sets with logging in 2018 already with the Train having logs as cargo, and the logging tractor 60181-1.jpg?201710270718

Edited by TeriXeri

Police sets rumored for City next year??

NO. FREAKING. WAY. !!!

:laugh:

11 hours ago, tafkatb said:

I'd gladly welcome another shot at that iteration of the Firefighting subtheme, perhaps alongside a Park Rangers take on the Police subtheme to complement! :classic:

11 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Possibly some renewal of a Sea/Harbour theme, 2011 had Harbour, 2015 had Deep Sea/Space.  2019 had Space but no ships beside the Diving Yacht and smaller Fire craft (small boat + jetski), Sky Police had aircraft.

2016 had Airport  and Volcano Explorers.  Sky Police will still be on shelves in 2020 so Airport could tie-in to that a bit. As for the other subtheme, no idea, Possibly some exploration outside of the city (Desert/Outback , Farm, Forest )

While a yet-unexplored take on the annual exploration subtheme would be awesome to see next year, I'd still be quite interested to see them rather revisit 2015's Deep-Sea Exploration subtheme since it missed it's four-year recycle for 2019, perhaps due to the Friends theme taking its turn with it instead.

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

While a yet-unexplored take on the annual exploration subtheme would be awesome to see next year, I'd still be quite interested to see them rather revisit 2015's Deep-Sea Exploration subtheme since it missed it's four-year recycle for 2019, perhaps due to the Friends theme taking its turn with it instead.

Not just Friends, Creator 3-in-1 has the underwater robot set (which also fits minifig), and the Twin-Rotor helicopter has a mini Remote Control submarine as well.

City still has the Diving Yacht with the sawfish, and the June City Magazine gift also is a Diver.

16 hours ago, jhuyser said:

(Linking here to put in the right thread, check the actual post for the tweet as it isn't going through along with my comment)

Thank you very much for the news, @dimaks13, @jhuyser and @Digger of Bricks! :classic:

It was clear that there'll be another - very likely unthemed - Police theme next year. Like @TeriXeri I hope that the police station wil maximum be the size of this year's Fire Station and then the flagship set will be action based with a huge location (either a decent sized prison or even better a big museum).

Plus I agree with there might be a big fire boat since it was missing in this year's Fire theme. Plus TLG might add a big fire helicopter since there was only a small one this year, but in the past Fire themes always a big one too. I personally hope that there'll be some specialized vehicles, too, like a hazmat unit truck and a fire mobile crane etc. to give the Fire theme something fresh and new!

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

On 6/17/2019 at 7:56 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Thanks to @dimaks13, we have our first rumor of what 2020 holds in store for the City theme!

Discuss and speculate away! :classic:

2020 would be classic police year. The year that new fire sets come out, classic police usually comes out the year following and fire has been released already for 2019. So I doubt that fire will be making more sets for 2020. Though I'd be shocked if it were to actually happen. 

On 6/18/2019 at 1:18 PM, Klaus-Dieter said:

Thank you very much for the news, @dimaks13, @jhuyser and @Digger of Bricks! :classic:

It was clear that there'll be another - very likely unthemed - Police theme next year. Like @TeriXeri I hope that the police station wil maximum be the size of this year's Fire Station and then the flagship set will be action based with a huge location (either a decent sized prison or even better a big museum).

Plus I agree with there might be a big fire boat since it was missing in this year's Fire theme. Plus TLG might add a big fire helicopter since there was only a small one this year, but in the past Fire themes always a big one too. I personally hope that there'll be some specialized vehicles, too, like a hazmat unit truck and a fire mobile crane etc. to give the Fire theme something fresh and new!

Most definitely classic police next year. 

Edited by pooda

4 minutes ago, pooda said:

The year that new fore sets come out, classic police usually comes out the year following and fire has been released already for 2019. So I doubt that fire will be making more sets for 2020. Though I'd be shocked if it were to actually happen.

Well, from what I know, I don't believe @dimaks13 has ever been wrong before as a rumor source, as he's a pretty trustworthy on such matters.

17 hours ago, pooda said:

So I doubt that fire will be making more sets for 2020. Though I'd be shocked if it were to actually happen. 

We are still missing the "usual" larger fire ship set, so if I had to pick 1 Fire set it'd be something like that. The last larger Police Boat was also 4 years ago.

Maybe even a harbour-like scenario playset with connectivity to the Fire Station and Dockside sets.

Classic Police is pretty much guaranteed with a regular Police Station every 3 years, I do hope it's smaller like the 2019 Fire station however, I liked that scale of set. And if they make it dockside as well, they could have even better integration with 2018 dockside sets, and potential harbour theme, or even a 2021 Coast Guard station. 

Seeing how the  system of connecting different sets is getting more common again, (City Spaceship modules, Harry Potter Hogwarts sections), it's a possibility.

Edited by TeriXeri

I wonder if 2020 will continue to have sets based on the new "Lego City Adventures" TV series? A classic police year could certainly include some of the new police characters.

I think it depends on how populate the TV series will be, @Lyichir. But I could well imagine there being some more sets based on it in 2020. Maybe some Great Vehicles, very likely some of the Police and Fire sets.

On 6/24/2019 at 2:13 PM, Lyichir said:

I wonder if 2020 will continue to have sets based on the new "Lego City Adventures" TV series? A classic police year could certainly include some of the new police characters.

After seeing the Police Chief (Wheeler or Wheelie) in the first episode, having him made into a minifgure also doesn't sound crazy since they already made the Fire Chief as minfigure as well.

Could possibly have Turquoise and yellow dual-molded legs with printed white shoes like shown.

That said, some models in the show are more detailed then the actual sets, like the number 10 police car Duke is driving, is based on the number 10 car from the 2017 Police station. Shown with 4 doors and overall other smaller details that aren't possible in LEGO parts at that scale. Not a big deal, just me observing things.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 6/24/2019 at 7:40 AM, TeriXeri said:

We are still missing the "usual" larger fire ship set, so if I had to pick 1 Fire set it'd be something like that. The last larger Police Boat was also 4 years ago.

Maybe even a harbour-like scenario playset with connectivity to the Fire Station and Dockside sets.

Classic Police is pretty much guaranteed with a regular Police Station every 3 years, I do hope it's smaller like the 2019 Fire station however, I liked that scale of set. And if they make it dockside as well, they could have even better integration with 2018 dockside sets, and potential harbour theme, or even a 2021 Coast Guard station. 

Seeing how the  system of connecting different sets is getting more common again, (City Spaceship modules, Harry Potter Hogwarts sections), it's a possibility.

Finally we agree on something. Though I'm also wagering on an airport firetruck like they did in 2014. Looking back on it, I think I stand corrected about there being no fire sets for 2020. They've actually released fire sets two years in a row before. 7944 Fire Hovercraft and the 60061 Airport Firetruck were examples. Both were released during police years (2008 and 2014). 

Edited by pooda

In general, besides the usual annual subthemes (Town and Great Vehicles), the triennial Classic Police subtheme, the things I think we might be able to expect include:

• a subtheme in the "exploration" category. Not sure what to expect here. While LEGO has recently revisited Arctic from 2014 and Space from 2015, I'm not sure if just two years of repeats like that is enough to infer a trend in which they follow up by revisiting Volcano Explorers from 2016. For all we know, they might even come up with some new category like Desert Explorers with stuff like archaeological dig sites, cacti, and lizards or coyotes.

The strongest possibility might be a new take on Deep Sea Explorers from 2015, though that might just as easily take the place of my next prediction:

• a subtheme in the "nautical" category. The last examples we had are Coast Guard in 2017 and Deep Sea Explorers in 2015, so that category's had a decent break. And this could potentially use a recolor of the marine life accessory pack from this year's Sea Life Rescue subtheme of LEGO Friends in a new color, since nothing about those designs seems specific to the LEGO Friends or mini-doll aesthetic.

• a new subtheme in the flight category, most likely (if it's a revisiting of an older subtheme) Cargo. We've seen the Cargo subtheme twice before, but not since 2013. And the last flight subtheme (last year's stand-alone Juniors airport notwithstanding) was Airport in 2016.

• more sets inspired by the LEGO City Adventures TV series, as Lyi brought up. But those wouldn't need to be specific to any one subtheme.

• perhaps, if not a full Trains subtheme since those tend to come on a three-year cycle, at least some stand-alone Train-related sets. A new station might be due since Winter Village Station has retired, and a new station or other new train sets may be opportunities to reuse new parts that are making their debut in Hidden Side's Ghost Train Express.

5 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

In general, besides the usual annual subthemes (Town and Great Vehicles), the triennial Classic Police subtheme, the things I think we might be able to expect include:

• a subtheme in the "exploration" category. Not sure what to expect here. While LEGO has recently revisited Arctic from 2014 and Space from 2015, I'm not sure if just two years of repeats like that is enough to infer a trend in which they follow up by revisiting Volcano Explorers from 2016. For all we know, they might even come up with some new category like Desert Explorers with stuff like archaeological dig sites, cacti, and lizards or coyotes.

The strongest possibility might be a new take on Deep Sea Explorers from 2015, though that might just as easily take the place of my next prediction:

• a subtheme in the "nautical" category. The last examples we had are Coast Guard in 2017 and Deep Sea Explorers in 2015, so that category's had a decent break. And this could potentially use a recolor of the marine life accessory pack from this year's Sea Life Rescue subtheme of LEGO Friends in a new color, since nothing about those designs seems specific to the LEGO Friends or mini-doll aesthetic.

• a new subtheme in the flight category, most likely (if it's a revisiting of an older subtheme) Cargo. We've seen the Cargo subtheme twice before, but not since 2013. And the last flight subtheme (last year's stand-alone Juniors airport notwithstanding) was Airport in 2016.

• more sets inspired by the LEGO City Adventures TV series, as Lyi brought up. But those wouldn't need to be specific to any one subtheme.

• perhaps, if not a full Trains subtheme since those tend to come on a three-year cycle, at least some stand-alone Train-related sets. A new station might be due since Winter Village Station has retired, and a new station or other new train sets may be opportunities to reuse new parts that are making their debut in Hidden Side's Ghost Train Express.
  • I'd rather see the farm theme come back. 

• I definately want the Deep Sea Exploration theme to return. Deep Sea Exploration is one of two explorers themes I like. The other being space. 

• We have enough aircrafts for City. Though....I would like to see the return of Airport or Cargo. Add a cargo ship to the latter, since I haven't seen one of those since 2007. 

• I'd say so. 

• I'm standing by my statement. I want a metro transit subtheme with more buses and maybe a train or two. 

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

For all we know, they might even come up with some new category like Desert Explorers with stuff like archaeological dig sites, cacti, and lizards or coyotes.

I really like this idea - desert is the only major biome I can think of that hasn't really been covered by the City theme, aside from maybe a handful of vehicles like 60145 Buggy. And I could see something like recolored 35646s in Medium Azure or Bright Bluish Green as turquoise for some of the "treasure" the explorers might uncover!

13 hours ago, tafkatb said:

I really like this idea - desert is the only major biome I can think of that hasn't really been covered by the City theme, aside from maybe a handful of vehicles like 60145 Buggy. And I could see something like recolored 35646s in Medium Azure or Bright Bluish Green as turquoise for some of the "treasure" the explorers might uncover!

In the same vein I've thought for a while that a future variation on LEGO City Police they haven't yet done that would be far from implausible would be "Desert Police". After all, there are plenty of major cities in or near deserts in real life, such as Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dubai, Riyadh, Cairo, Juárez, Jodhpur, etc.

14 hours ago, tafkatb said:

I think they should do Forest Exploration! You know? Like nature spotters and tree surgeons. Heck, you can also have situations where an explorer is being chased by a bear or wolf. The latter would be hilarous. We may also see a Jeep set for that matter. 

9 minutes ago, pooda said:

The exploration fandom seems to huge here. 

We haven't any standalone Space or Adventurers playthemes, can ya blame us? :sad:

18 hours ago, Aanchir said:

a subtheme in the "exploration" category. Not sure what to expect here. While LEGO has recently revisited Arctic from 2014 and Space from 2015, I'm not sure if just two years of repeats like that is enough to infer a trend in which they follow up by revisiting Volcano Explorers from 2016. For all we know, they might even come up with some new category like Desert Explorers with stuff like archaeological dig sites, cacti, and lizards or coyotes.

If a revisitation of Deep Sea Explorers were to officially be next year's "exploration" subtheme, I've stated elsewhere before that I'd hope to see such a line take on a Submarine Archaeology premise. Otherwise, an Australian Outback subtheme would be most welcome if they were to take the untread Desert route, if not the Serengeti. 

Edited by Digger of Bricks

4 minutes ago, pooda said:

@Digger of Bricks What do you think about my idea for a Forest Exploration subtheme? 

Well, I think it'd be cool if the particular focus of such a subtheme were to be upon the archaeological excavation of medieval castle ruins within those forests, hence incorporating/acknowledging Castle as a part of City's history in a way! :shrug_oh_well: