RoryOC

Back From The Dark - Hi All!

Hi all,

Like many people on here I've recently come through a bit of a dark age. I was fairly active on this site several years ago however I lost the interest when I went to college. 

I'm delighted to be back on here, having rediscovered my interest in LEGO, and I hope to start making a contribution to the community.

First Question - Any ideas what would be the best way to start building my parts collection back up? I'm planning on placing a relatively large Bricklink order but what range of parts would you recommend as a good basis to start MOC'ing again?

Hi, I suppose it depends what you are going to build. Assuming it is 'system' Lego models (as opposed to Technic) you will want a lot of plain plates and bricks as well as a selection of slopes/curves and 'greeble' type pieces for drainpipes/handrails/space ship parts. I've never used Bricklink for parts. I buy sets and take them apart for parts. Creator is good for plain bricks. Speed Champions are good for slopes/curves. Star Wars is good for 'greebles'...

Edited by Retro

1 hour ago, RoryOC said:

Hi all,

Like many people on here I've recently come through a bit of a dark age. I was fairly active on this site several years ago however I lost the interest when I went to college. 

I'm delighted to be back on here, having rediscovered my interest in LEGO, and I hope to start making a contribution to the community.

First Question - Any ideas what would be the best way to start building my parts collection back up? I'm planning on placing a relatively large Bricklink order but what range of parts would you recommend as a good basis to start MOC'ing again?

Welcome to Eurobricks, Rory!

Or should I say...welcome *back*! Pleased to meet you too!

Welcome back to EB, RoryOC!

As Retro said, it depends on what you think you may want to build, but just to quickly get some random bulk bricks back into your collection, I'd suggest keeping an eye on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist where people will liquidate their collections for pennies on the dollar when they (or their kids) are in a Dark Age.  Just last week I grabbed a lot that weighed in at almost 70 lbs with clean Lego and a nice mix of stuff from the past 5-10 years for about $2/lb.  Definitely a good way to build back up if you're not too picky on specifically what you want.