Digger of Bricks

LEGO's Lead User Lab & Innovation Intake Portal

Lego Ambassador Network - The LEGO Group is Set to Launch its Brand-New Lead User Lab

The Lead User Lab will aim to capture new-to-the-company ideas, evaluate their potential and bring them to life in new ways.

Planned to start in August, the Lead User Lab pilot project sets out to build a unique innovation model for the LEGO Group, capturing, evaluating and nurturing ideas from the brilliant and creative minds of LEGO fans and Lead Users among adult LEGO users.

Co-creating these future innovations will set the ground for developing investigate new opportunity areas which might include complementary add-ons to the LEGO building system, digital experiences and even marketplaces, imagined by the Lead Users, and brought to scale by the LEGO Group.

Kari Vinther Nielsen, Head of Lead User Lab at the LEGO Group said:
“Innovation is often something you don’t know you need. Lead Users often create this future – they react to trends and come up with ingenious solutions to problems we perhaps didn’t even know we had! We want to capture this brilliance and ingenuity of Lead Users in a systematic way, explore the high potential ideas and co-create to expand the LEGO idea in ways we haven’t yet imagined.”

The Lead User Lab will focus on breakthrough ideas on a wide spectrum of future application ranging from new experiences, services, channels and audiences, while keeping the Lead User front and center.

What’s a Lead User?

Lead Users are at the starting edge of future market and consumer trends – they experience latent needs that often haven’t been crystalized yet and tailor innovative solutions that are well ahead of the market. 

The LEGO Group currently benefits from AFOLs’ (Adult Fans of LEGO) amazing talents in many ways. Whether as loyal consumers of LEGO products and experiences, as highly creative producers of content, experiences and many other LEGO knowledge areas, or as amazing brand advocates – and some of them can turn out to be the future Lead Users.

Over a third of AFOLs self-report that they have developed a LEGO related innovation – with Lead User Lab, we will explore a unique opportunity to get closer to the breakthrough ideas pipeline, capture the best and turn them into reality together with Lead Users.

How will it work?

The Lead User Lab will take in ideas on two simultaneous fronts. A dedicated innovation portal will be launched, where all potential Lead User candidates can submit their radical innovation ideas and keep track of the intake and evaluation process done by the LEGO Group.

Simultaneously, the Lead User Lab team will also approach various existing Lead Users who are extremely motivated in finding ingenious solutions to a LEGO related need, and who have developed a prototype, solution, or have an established business, and are eager to co-create on taking their idea to the next level.

If you already have a breakthrough idea, we encourage you to keep an eye out for the Lead User Lab innovation portal launch. And if you can’t wait, please send us a note to kvn@lego.com Please expect a delay in getting an answer. The LUL team will not be onboard until August

The lead user Lab is planned as a two-year pilot and the LEGO group will ongoingly evaluate the potential of scaling this initiative.

It's interesting, I wonder what sort of ideas they are really expecting from this. My guess is that they are going to consider bringing in house third part compatible systems that people suggest instead of letting some independent small business run with it. Things like the various LEGO compatible lighting systems, the mounting tape with studs on it, compatible train tracks in different radii, the S Brick, etc. Except of course, something that hasn't been commercialized yet. They also talk about different marketplaces, I have some ideas about that.  

1 hour ago, Vorkosigan said:

It's interesting, I wonder what sort of ideas they are really expecting from this. My guess is that they are going to consider bringing in house third part compatible systems that people suggest instead of letting some independent small business run with it. Things like the various LEGO compatible lighting systems, the mounting tape with studs on it, compatible train tracks in different radii, the S Brick, etc. Except of course, something that hasn't been commercialized yet. They also talk about different marketplaces, I have some ideas about that.  

Yeah, that sounds about right from what I can make of it. Put into context, it's more or less the LEGO Ideas platform applied The LEGO Group, the LEGO System(s), and new product lines as a whole rather than just singular products/sets. :shrug_oh_well:

Shortly after LAN announced this initiative, digging around, I found two job listings for such through a general search that have since been removed (anticipating such, I saved them both beforehand as HTML documents), with the job description for one of them (posted back on May 15th) elaborating on the nature of this upcoming endeavor (as of this post, this particular job listing still comes up under a general search for the Lead User Lab):

LEGO Careers - OPEN INNOVATION INSIGHTS MANAGER, LEAD USER LAB

LEGO® bricks aren’t just for play. Every day, architects, engineers, physicists, programmers, doctors and more think of new ways to use our experiences in their daily lives.

Do you have the creative mindset to engage these brilliant individuals and nurture their ideas to co-create future innovations?

Core Responsibilities

Bring your curiosity around new innovative LEGO® experiences into play and help us build a unique innovation model.

We are starting up the Lead User Lab in AFOL Engagement meant to capture radical ideas, evaluate their potential and bring them to life. As an Open Innovation Analyst, it will be up to you to scan, analyse and document the trends, insights and learnings around lead users and their innovations in a systematic way. 

• Ongoing scanning, analysing and visualisation of AFOL categories and ideas
• Scan and document Lead User (LU) candidates, core capabilities, innovation areas and link to The LEGO group strategy. 
• Ongoing tracking of industry trends and insights
• Scan various digital media channels and AFOL related media and document learnings around the Lead User Lab project. 
• Drive cross collaboration with various insights departments within LEGO around learnings, LUL business value and recommendations.
• Establish learnings goals, hypothesis, metrics and success criteria’s and document learnings before, during and after the LU pilots.
• Document and handle learnings and insights for the LUL pilot project in general. Both internal and external.
• Collaborate with LUL team on innovation ideas, stretching and value adding benefits of innovation.

Play your part in our team succeeding

The AFOL Engagement Department is responsible for building relationships with and co-creating consumer and business value with the global community of adult LEGO users. We work closely with hundreds of user groups and fan media in the LEGO Ambassador Network, we innovate, stimulate and support user creativity and we leverage platforms like LEGO IDEAS to co-create products, experiences and marketing stories with users and internal stakeholders. 

The Lead User Lab is a new initiative within the AFOL Engagement department to attract, collaborate and co-create consumer and business value with LEGO Lead Users. It’s set up as a 2-year pilot, but we expect the initiative will continue after the pilot phase. 

You will support AFOL engagement and the LUL team with understanding and realizing new innovative lead user experiences. You are able to navigate and lead the insights process from an uncertain early phase through higher maturity levels through the LUL pilot process. In this process you will help the Head of LUL and the LUL team navigate information and make insightful decisions based on the learnings you gather, organize and share. 

We want people that shoot for the stars, dares to dream big, but at the same time get things done through a get it done mindset and strong ability to collaborate with a diverse group of colleagues and Lead users. 

The role will provide rich opportunity for professional and personal development for the right candidate in an environment of openness and trust and a strong desire and ability to experiment and deliver results.

Do you have what it takes?

• Outstanding ability to work with market and consumer insights (generation of insights, documentation of insights, activation of insights)
• 3-5 years working experience in field of consumer and market insights and trends
• Excellent presentation and visual communication skills, visualizing insights to colleagues across the organization, including top management
• Strong analytical and business strategy skills
• Being energized by working towards planned targets, overcoming obstacles, setbacks and uncertainty
• Thrives in a team environment where the things run fast while still running independenly with own tasks
• Advanced english

You will find useful in this role to have:
• Experience with digital insights tracking eg. So Me listening tools like Spreadfast, Adobe analytics or similar
• Understanding of SQL language
• Ability to work with data visualization tool like Power BI or Tableau
• Previous experience working with in-market pilots and learnings
• Test and Learn mindset working with pretotyping and prototyping
• Experience with Scrum
• Knowledge of R language
• Minimum Master degree in a business related field or equivalent e.g. business analyst, marketing, research 
• Experience working with entrepreneurship and working in big organizations
• Availability to travel 20-30 days per year

Join the global LEGO family

The LEGO® Group recruits and develops people entirely on merit. If you are confident you have what it takes to succeed in this role – and you share our commitment to creativity, collaboration, and quality – use the APPLY NOW button above or below. Please remember to attach your application and current CV. 

BRINGING IT TO LIFE
We will open up a world of new opportunities for the LEGO Brand. What better way to do that then working with a group of very talented Lead users on pilots where we explore and learn about new innovative experience for the future.
The frosting on the cake is that you get to work with a diverse group of amazingly creative people that you get fantastic stuff done with while having tons of fun.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Can someone translate all that gibberish to something understandable by us humans?

Yeah it sounds like made for..

-third-party Technic motors & stuff? Does it really make sense, isn't it like saying Lego's ones suck, or Lego is late to the party?

-third-party lighting? I imagine yes, as Lego has never been interested in lighting

-third-party minifigs? I doubt it - licensing troubles ahead

-third-party minifig accessories? They're all contemporary weapons, so I doubt it :)

-third-party system parts? I'm all for it, but no one does that.

Or are they talking about programs for schools & such?

To be honest, I wondered if this lab was for developing products like the Braille 2x4 bricks that got announced a month or so back.  Kind of like Lego Ideas, but instead of looking for new models built out of Lego, they are trying to come up with new and creative ways to use Lego bricks.  

I am very intrigued about what will come out of this lab.

I've been toying with Bricklink's part designer btw, and it's pretty good. But the question I asked myself was, who is it for? Decals on parts, yeah, but custom parts? This is where this program could be REALLY interesting, if it ended up producing custom parts designed in that app. I doubt it would ever be done, though - even if the costs of making molds is probably not what it used to be, it's most likely still too expensive to start producing parts for a niche audience.

Does anyone have more information? If I'm not mistaken, the Lead User Lab should have opened on August 1st. I'm really interested in it, thank you :D

On 7/29/2019 at 1:15 PM, anothergol said:

Can someone translate all that gibberish to something understandable by us humans?

On 7/29/2019 at 3:38 PM, NathanR said:

To be honest, I wondered if this lab was for developing products like the Braille 2x4 bricks that got announced a month or so back.  Kind of like Lego Ideas, but instead of looking for new models built out of Lego, they are trying to come up with new and creative ways to use Lego bricks.  

I am very intrigued about what will come out of this lab.

On 8/9/2019 at 12:48 PM, Mbrick said:

Does anyone have more information? If I'm not mistaken, the Lead User Lab should have opened on August 1st. I'm really interested in it, thank you :D

Details! We finally have further details! :sweet: 

The Brick Fan - LEGO Lead User Lab Details

We’re happy to let you know that the Lead User Lab kicked-off in August. It’s early days, so you probably have a bunch of questions that need more clarity – what it is, what ideas we’re looking to incubate, what’s in it for you, ways of working, and more. Below you’ll find a quick FAQ. If we missed anything you’re curious about, let us know!

What are we up to next?

In the coming weeks, we’ll focus on fundamentals of the idea intake process and how to evaluate and prioritize them. At this stage, we’re also assessing the ideas we’ve received via email over the summer, since we first revealed the Lead User Lab on the LAN blog. We’ll let everyone know as soon as possible about the outcomes and whether we can continue with any of them in the stretching/incubation phase. High level, the Lead User Lab funnel looks like this: (1) Idea intake – (2) Stretching/Incubation – (3) Piloting – (4) Idea realization.

Lead User Lab – FAQ

1. What is the Lead User Lab?

It’s a 2 year pilot that will be a test-bed and incubator for innovative ideas that expand the LEGO brand. In it, we’ll co-create future innovations, putting the idea owner (the lead user) and the AFOL community front and center.

2. Why have we set up the Lead User Lab?

We want to establish a systematic process to tap into the lead users’ ideas and creativity and maximize that value. We believe there’s a unique opportunity to co-create and pick up very early ideas and market trends and start developing pilots that will successfully build on the LEGO brand and on what the AFOL community wants.

We’re a creative play company, we do it because we want to constantly innovate the LEGO idea and we want to inspire all our fans with innovation and experiences that we haven’t yet imagined. Also, we do it because just like the brick’s endless creative potential and reinvention, we believe our fans and lead users are also an endless and evergreen territory of creativity and innovation – and that’s something to be nurtured.

3. How does the Lead User Lab work?

We’re putting the AFOL community’s interest and the lead user front and center, to test an innovation value chain untested in a systematic way before in the LEGO Group – exploring structured ways to bring in outside ideas at an early stage and finding ways to scale them. Think of it as partly incubator, partly accelerator, but with a LEGO twist.

We will run an on-going, highly focused and selective idea intake process to ensure the most relevant and high potential ideas are selected for pilots. Then in a collaborative process with the idea owner (the lead user) we’ll stretch and incubate it, exploring ways to maximize the value. Then we’ll run pilots, to explore if, how and where the idea can be scaled, then act on it. It does mean we’ll have to make focused choices at all stages of the process – we see it as an innovation wheel constantly spinning out potential, shaping and re-shaping ideas, while finding ways to add value to the brand and to the lead user and community.

4. Who is it for?

It’s for all creative and entrepreneurial LEGO minds out there – the lead users – who spot early trends and market needs way before anybody else. The ideal lead user candidate already has a well crystallized idea, ideally a prototype or maybe even a set business, and is eager to collaborate and co-create with us, to explore incubation, piloting and potential scaling.

5. What ideas are we looking for?

We’ll be focusing on new-to-the-company ideas and will go beyond the LEGO brick. The type of ideas we’re looking to incubate and pilot can be new experiences, services, channels, audiences/targets groups, all which in some way expand the LEGO brand and add value to the AFOL community.

6. What can i expect from the Lead User Lab process?

We will evaluate ideas on an on-going basis, so you can expect a collaborative and iterative process. As you can probably anticipate, the process will look like an on-going funnel with continuous evaluation and prioritization. We’ll run a highly focused and selective process to ensure only the most relevant ideas are selected for pilots. This also means sometimes we’ll have to make difficult decisions and say no, either in the beginning of the intake, or during the incubation or piloting stage.

7. Will you take in ideas of standard LEGO products? / Does this compete with LEGO Ideas?

We will not focus on standard sets in the Lead User Lab. LEGO Ideas is a fantastic platform that does that already, leveraging fan ideas and turning them into LEGO products, whether new stories/universes, or IP universes. The main characteristic of LEGO Ideas is also that it builds on the core of the LEGO building system – creating and re-creating fun and engaging stories, using the brick’s creative potential and versatility. The Lead User Lab on the other hand is tapping into what lies beyond that – looking to leverage radically new ideas of experiences, services, channels, or target audiences. Also, worth mentioning, Lead User Lab is not a competitor of LEGO Ideas as the focus is fundamentally different.

8. How can you submit an idea to the Lead User Lab?

We are open to intake ideas in two ways: an intake portal where lead users can submit ideas – coming soon! At the same time, the Lead User Lab team will be scouting to find cool ideas and Lead Users who have already developed a prototype/have an established business and are eager to co-create on taking their idea to the next level. We’ve already received emails with ideas from lead users, and will soon start to evaluate them too. We’ll also be present at some of the fan events, so stay tuned for more!

9. How do i know if my idea is good enough?

We’re looking for new-to-the-company ideas that add value to the brand and the community. And most likely, you already have a prototype or launched your business. Does your idea add value to the fan community, does it tap into a strong and growing trend? Is it highly innovative and new? These are some of the parameters we’ll also be exploring in the intake process. If you’re not there yet, fear not. We’ll be looking for intake on an on-going basis. And we’ll be sharing updates and tips to help inspire you along the way.

10. Is there any financial incentive for lead users to be part of the Lead User Lab setup?

We’re working with co-creation in mind – this means keeping the lead user close and involved into the process end to end, while ensuring they benefit from their innovative ideas. It’s very early to get into financial specific as this can vary from idea to idea, but we do plan to set in place various legal, endorsement and/or financial mechanisms on a case by case basis for the specific pilots that are selected for idea realization.

Still pretty vague, until real examples of what they're after.

I'm guessing things like robotics stuff, removable stickers for lego, third-party motors, lego adapter to whatever other kit/system..

What I'd like to see (or eventually produce myself) would be extended Lego parts, which is nowadays limited to guns & weapons. I understand the minifig market is "bigger", but I would like to see things like that 2x2 tile with (SW-related I believe) engraved gribbling (I wish I could find back a picture of it). 1x1 to 2x2 tile gribbling, Lego doesn't have enough of that IMHO. But I also understand that no one would use anything non-Lego. Still, with 3D printers allowing for cheap prototyping, and Stud.io now having a part design tool, it's the perfect time for things like this.

Edited by anothergol

Did Lego ever share a link for this?

I'm also a little disappointed in that job posting. It looks like they are after someone who has a marketing background but who likely has no actual background or history with Lego. Sadly I have been around this type of thinking before and it gets you exactly what you'd expect. A few people who have mastered the use of buzz words, but who actually know, or understand, very little about the core consumers. There will be a lot of meetings and a lot of guessing, and a lot of hair-brained ideas that look awesome in powerpoint. (And I have no idea why a Lead Insights Manager needs SQL)

Having attended a LLL workshop, I am fairly sure they will be most interested in ideas around customisation & personalisation, arts & crafts, lighting, storage and services. 

2 hours ago, JanetVanD said:

Having attended a LLL workshop, I am fairly sure they will be most interested in ideas around customisation & personalisation, arts & crafts, lighting, storage and services. 

Have you been to the Skærbæk Fan Weekend 2019 where they discussed the Lead User Lab?

I still don't understand what the lead user lab is about, but what's sure is that 3D printing isn't what they had in mind:

23 minutes ago, anothergol said:

I still don't understand what the lead user lab is about, but what's sure is that 3D printing isn't what they had in mind:

I didn't know that Lego did that. I don't undestand why they attack fans for such these small things :(

About the "radical ideas" that Lead User Lab is looking for, it comes to my mind only sets lighting

TLG does not want its brand attached to third-party suppliers or other commercial activities such as on-demand pay-per-part 3D printing. I believe it is OK to offer "brick-compatible" or similar clones or 3D printed parts, but not okay to claim you are printing a branded part. Others may have a more legalistic explanation. TLG is not going after 3D printing, its going after misuse of their brand.

Just now, JGW3000 said:

TLG is not going after 3D printing, its going after misuse of their brand.

That's not what the second video is saying. They seem to be after anything compatible.

As for the brand, that's quite normal, but all they're gonna get from this is that "Lego-compatible" will turn into "Kiddicraft-compatible" in labels. Lego doesn't like how their brand has become the generic name for all compatible bricks, well I'd be them I'd hate it even more if it stopped being used as such.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:14 PM, Mbrick said:

Have you been to the Skærbæk Fan Weekend 2019 where they discussed the Lead User Lab?

Yes, after the to-be-expected wordy promotional bit, they were quite informative and helpful. Still not too sure exactly how it will work (I think they are a bit sketchy on it themselves as it is such a new thing) but it will most likely be adapted on a case-by-case basis. 

I found the members of the team to be up front and as atraightforward as they could be and they were taking on board what AFOLs were saying. 

47 minutes ago, JanetVanD said:

Yes, after the to-be-expected wordy promotional bit, they were quite informative and helpful. Still not too sure exactly how it will work (I think they are a bit sketchy on it themselves as it is such a new thing) but it will most likely be adapted on a case-by-case basis. 

I found the members of the team to be up front and as atraightforward as they could be and they were taking on board what AFOLs were saying. 

That's interesting :) Did someone present some new ideas?

Edited by Mbrick

1 hour ago, Mbrick said:

That's interesting :) Did someone present some new ideas?

A few definitely had ideas but were naturally a bit cagey about them. I think sone people were worried about disclosing their business ideas for fear of being shut down and others want assurance that their ideas won't be "stolen" by either TLG or other AFOLs. Personally, I don't think TLG has any intention of stealing ideas and, if someone suggests an idea and TLG refuses it but comes out with something very similar themselves a short time later, it would probably just be a coincidence. (In reality it takes years for the company to launch new products from concept to finished product) 

I don't know about other AFOLs stealing ideas, though. One would hope that wouldn't happen but it's an awfully large community with many different sorts of people. 

As far as shutting down spin-off businesses, I got the impression TLG did not have that in mind at all when creating LLL. Of course they will take a dim view of people who blatantly rip off their intellectual property or create customised products from LEGO elements that is in direct conflict with TLG's ethos, but that is to be expected. 

On 10/8/2019 at 9:54 PM, anothergol said:

That's not what the second video is saying. They seem to be after anything compatible.

As for the brand, that's quite normal, but all they're gonna get from this is that "Lego-compatible" will turn into "Kiddicraft-compatible" in labels. Lego doesn't like how their brand has become the generic name for all compatible bricks, well I'd be them I'd hate it even more if it stopped being used as such.

We have to remember that the average consumer often doesn't know the difference between genuine LEGO bricks and clone brands, especially since most clone brands try to make their packaging look as LEGO - like as possible. The LEGO brand and name is so universal, huge numbers of people automatically assume all compatible bricks to be "lego". When these clone bricks turn out to be of poorer quality or not up to safety standards, people will think that it is LEGO bricks that are breaking, not fitting together properly and/or injuring children. Thus TLG unfairly gets its reputation damaged. 

Surely nobody can blame them for trying to stop this from happening. 

13 minutes ago, JanetVanD said:

A few definitely had ideas but were naturally a bit cagey about them. I think sone people were worried about disclosing their business ideas for fear of being shut down and others want assurance that their ideas won't be "stolen" by either TLG or other AFOLs. Personally, I don't think TLG has any intention of stealing ideas and, if someone suggests an idea and TLG refuses it but comes out with something very similar themselves a short time later, it would probably just be a coincidence. (In reality it takes years for the company to launch new products from concept to finished product) 

I don't know about other AFOLs stealing ideas, though. One would hope that wouldn't happen but it's an awfully large community with many different sorts of people. 

As far as shutting down spin-off businesses, I got the impression TLG did not have that in mind at all when creating LLL. Of course they will take a dim view of people who blatantly rip off their intellectual property or create customised products from LEGO elements that is in direct conflict with TLG's ethos, but that is to be expected. 

I agree, TLG has no intention to stole ideas but wants to collaborate. The risk comes mainly from other AFOLs or brick companies. I heard that a guy shared his building instructions about a technic car (I think it was a Pagani Zonda but I'm not sure) and a Chinese brick company stole it and produced sets without permission and giving him nothing.

Just out of curiosity, will you present an idea to the Lead User Lab? (If yes don't write it! Haha)

Just now, Mbrick said:

I agree, TLG has no intention to stole ideas but wants to collaborate. The risk comes mainly from other AFOLs or brick companies. I heard that a guy shared his building instructions about a technic car (I think it was a Pagani Zonda but I'm not sure) and a Chinese brick company stole it and produced sets without permission and giving him nothing.

Just out of curiosity, will you present an idea to the Lead User Lab? (If yes don't write it! Haha)

Yes, I have. So far it has been a positive experience but of course it is very early days. The idea has been submitted but there is a long process to go through before a decision can be made as to whether it might be suitable for a pilot project. They made it clear that even some really good ideas may not be suitable because they don't meet certain criteria. Some of the criteria are:

Must be a new idea

Must be widely marketable as a product or service

Should come from within the AFOL community and ultimately benefit the AFOL community

Not just aimed at children. 

The ideas are not initially protected by a confidentiality contract but neither are they disclosed to the AFOL community unless and until they become pilot projects. 

27 minutes ago, JanetVanD said:

We have to remember that the average consumer often doesn't know the difference between genuine LEGO bricks and clone brands, especially since most clone brands try to make their packaging look as LEGO - like as possible. The LEGO brand and name is so universal, huge numbers of people automatically assume all compatible bricks to be "lego". When these clone bricks turn out to be of poorer quality or not up to safety standards, people will think that it is LEGO bricks that are breaking, not fitting together properly and/or injuring children. Thus TLG unfairly gets its reputation damaged. 

Surely nobody can blame them for trying to stop this from happening. 

..we're talking about 3D home-printed compatible parts.