Etzel

"CHALLENGE III: Category A: "Pass it on"

"Pass it on", Category A entry for Challenge III.

I got a bit carried away when writing the story for the build. If you prefer to just look at the pictures the compressed backstory is that the build shows a secret meeting between some Mitgardia nobles where they are planning a rebellion against the Guild of Mitgardia. All around the castle there are rumors and gossips about the events.

In the stronghold of Sir Uldain, lord of Bleywood, things are stirring. Strange people are coming and going, lords have paid visits and mercenaries are camping outside the walls. Words travel fast in a big household, and it reaches every corner of it, even deep down into the darkest dungeons...

48061918523_65836467d9_c.jpg

Shivering Ettu, the far-traveled little man from the Northern-most part of the Clan Lands of Mitgardia, could just about hear the conversation that the guards were having outside his cell. They spoke of Sir Uldain and his guests. Apparently the lord had invited both two of the neighboring lords and a captain of a mercenary band. All the armed soldiers belonging to various factions had the guards on their toes and one of them shared her doubts about the true allegiance of the guests. Ettu didn't know what to make out of it, he didn't know who these people were or why they were there. It was difficult for him to care about anything really, locked up as he was. But still... the talk among the guards had been increasing during the latest weeks. There were a tension that forebode something grand and radical in the atmosphere of the stronghold. If something could change are break up the monotony of the realm, perhaps there were a small chance that Ettu could finally be free again? He had lost count of the days he had spent in his cell, but by the changing of seasons he figured it must have been about five years since he came to Bleywood...

48061693338_45d30a48ee_c.jpg

- Those bear soldiers look especially untrustworthy, I don't see why the lord let them stroll around the castle like this.

´- Relax, they are only allowed to walk around the village and into the courtyard, no one is allowed inside. Besides, they spend good money in the taverns. Alesia over at The Burping Rock said she'll be able to keep the fires going all winter thanks to all that gold those bears spread around them. Being a mercenary sure pays off it seems.

- Whatever. I'm not interesting in joining them anyway. I'll stay loyal to the lord, especially with what may come...

48061742932_b10a2686ac_c.jpg

In the cell across from Ettu some imprisoned robbers also listened carefully at the conversation from the guards.

- Maybe the mercenaries are here to recruit more soldiers? I know that sometimes they pick prisoners to join their ranks so this could be our chance to get out of this place!

- Good idea! Hey, guards! Get over here! We need to talk!

48061743147_35e135a9f5_c.jpg

In the consulting room at the bottom floor of the castle three men were eagerly waiting for the negotiations upstairs to finish. The man with a wolf emblem on his tunic looked over the maps on the table again and again.

- We should definitely go for the Antler river first. Controlling that gives us power over the most important trade routes south from Mitgardia.

- Yes but the guild knows this too. They have strong garrisons in Vaholl and can easily reinforce by transporting more troops from the Winter Lakes region. The coastal cities along the Tradewind Bay should be our first target instead. That way we can establish contacts with potential allies in Avalonia and control much of the trade to Varlyrio.

- You guys are too blinded by your lords' desire for gold and control over trade routes. Don't you think the guild will come down on you wherever you choose to attack first? You need to think strategically and make sure the Steward and his men underestimates your threat. Lure them into believing it's just a small uprising of angry peasants and then take them by surprise. With a bit of luck we will get some prisoners, that is a sure way of expanding the war budget.

48061743382_18bcb94f62_c.jpg

- Back off! You know the rules, no Ulfgangs or Teddy's Bears are allowed inside the castle. That's a direct order from the Lord of Bleywood.

- Come on Gorm, we just want to know what's happening at the meeting.

- And can't you smell the food cooking in the kitchen? I bet you there's stew, and roasted turkey and freshly baked bread and...

- Bah! There's a wonder we even have an apple left in our larders with you guys here having done nothing but stuffing your faces for almost a fortnight. I don't envy the farmers downstream... eh, I mean...

- Downstream? Towards the Antler River? Is that where we are going?

- Forget what I said! The lords are busy and so should you be! Now get lost!

48061743662_d28ee93a5d_c.jpg

In the kitchen the meals for lords and ladies were being prepared, and the kitchen boy just delivered an update on how far the lords had come in their discussions.

- The Lord says they will dine within the hour, Miss.

- Oh my... And how am I supposed to finish all these dishes in that time? It's so stressful to have make so many different dishes. Lord Ulfgang only eats his own recipes with that strange black sauce and Lord Bruin demands so many different spices. It's probably some expansive habit he's gotten into while traveling to Kaliphlin.

- You might have more work coming, Miss. I overheard them talking about some lord from Tradewind Bay coming here as well and you know how much they love their seafood there.

- Now that does it! I'm going to have a serious talk with Lady Bleywood about this. I can't keep up with the workload any more! Please Jarki, run and fetch your cousins Elmir and Tym as quickly as you can. First I need all the hands I can get to help me prepare the dinner!

48061646911_89e036f785_c.jpg

Upstairs, the highborn men and women of two old and proud families of Mitgardia were engaged in a hot-tempered debate.

- Lady Ulfgang, I guarantee that if you try to avoid your share of the costs one more time this deal is off! I may be old but I'm not blind and this draft does not include your family's name among the financiers.

- Lord Bleywood, I'm shocked that you think I might have done this on purpose! We fully support the arrangement we agreed upon yesterday, I assure you.

- Spare me your excuses Lady, I've heard them before. Just change the draft to actually say what we have decided. Bleywood and Ulfgang both support Lord Theodore Bruin's Company with 40 % of their expenses for at least 4 months, or until the trade route to Avalonia is secured. The rest of the costs will be paid in land and rights to extract taxes after the conquest.

- I don't like this Father, I don't trust these wolfs! They've tricked us before and will trick us again. As soon as the Steward appears with his troops they will run back into the forest with their tails between their legs!

- Sir Udraigh! You might be the son of our host and heir to Bleywood but you have no right to speak about my noble family like that. Apologize at once or I'll have my champion challenging you to a duel!

48061743887_1710744af7_c.jpg

- Malvia, stop eavesdropping! You know your father strictly told you to not interfere anymore in the negotiations.

- But Mother! What they speak of is treason! This is a real rebellion against the Guild of Mitgardia! Why isn't anyone doing anything?

- Don't say that word! Your father is doing what is best for this family, by whatever means necessary. Have you forgotten all those taxes the Guild imposed on us because of their own failures of keeping the peace. We owe nothing to the Guild! Now step away from the door before anyone notices you!

48061694603_6ffa2d8bda_c.jpg

Up on the roof by the dovecote another hushed dialogue was taking place.

- Quickly now, if someone comes up here now we are screwed!

- I know, I know. I just got hold of the damn dove. I hope it's as fast as usual, the Steward needs to know about this scheme as fast as possible.

- Is it really enough to only send one message? What if it gets caught by a bird of prey, or a fox, or shot down by an archer?

- No time for any more! Your shift ends anytime now and I can't be here when you reliever comes up.

48061646656_169fe6b3dc_c.jpg

48061693388_79e72eb044_c.jpg

48061744417_4eaabc1fd4_c.jpg

48061694813_466f31acdd_c.jpg

48061744177_56bd6a13e8_c.jpg

48061647091_a933fbbe44_c.jpg

It's been a while since I last built any GoH, but thankfully my friends talked me into it again. This was a fun build with many difficult angles and snotted areas that had to add up somehow. To give the build a Mitgardian feel to it I tried to avoid too lush greenery and incorporate a lot of wooden structures in the castle. I'm reusing my old character of Shivering Ettu from more than five years ago. Hopefully he will soon get out and see more of the world of Guilds of Historica, just as his creator. :)

Edited by Etzel
fixed some spelling mistakes

This is amazing! I love everything being off-axis, I think that was a great decision that allowed you to fit so much more into each scene, and you’ve executed it really, really well. There’s so much going on, I don’t know where to start, but your story is terrific and your creation is outstanding. And it definitely looks very Mitgardian!

It's awesome how many rooms you've got in this MOC and all chock full of details!  I really like the kitchen but the dining/council room also looks great!  The little swamp outside deserves a mention too as does that slanted log.  Good work!

Lovely build, with so much to see everywhere! Excellent minifigs you've composed too :thumbup:

And great to see you back in GoH again!

This is a super impressive MOC! I like so much of it I couldn't say it all: the roof, the windows, the details, the minifigs, the upraised rug: and if I had to pick a favorite it's that smoke!  Brilliant stuff here. 

Wow!  The structure itself would be impressive alone, but jamming it so full of life inside takes it to another level.  Kitchen is one of the better parts here I think while I also really like the vault/storage area with those sturdy looking arches.

Great MOC, and welcome back!

Holy mackerel!  This is a heck of a build!  I like how it all sits on one plate, askew at an angle to give it a more organic feel, yet it also manages to go up and portray many sides to the story.  A lot of the techniques in here are not necessarily new, but are very well done, such as the roof, and I think the inclusion of two different tile colors is great.  I love that little corner with the pond edge, too.  The dungeon rooms are quite nice, with the dark green on the walls, and the mini posing there is great.  How did Ettu come to be imprisoned?  I have not yet seen that episode and am curious.

I love the vine technique with the new orange petal pieces, and the gold tassles on the canopy bed are ingenious.  I think my two favorite rooms are the kitchen and the consulting room.  The stickers appear to be custom on the shields, but look great, and the kitchen is really spot on with everything hanging from the rafters.  Every time I look at this, I spot more awesome details.  I'll keep checking in for a couple of weeks to try and see them all!  Outstanding job, and welcome back!

This is heinous and so well thought through. The fact that each chamber tells a part of the story is impressive. Even more considering that each chamber is packed with amazing details.

Really, an outstanding job with bits of unique and interesting techniques.

The bird cage, the observatory in the roof and the kitchen are my favorite parts. 

Amazing MOC. Cheers!

Thank you very much for your nice comments! I'm happy the diagonal orientation worked and that all the little scenes fits together.

9 hours ago, Grover said:

How did Ettu come to be imprisoned?  I have not yet seen that episode and am curious.

Ah, that part hasn't actually been told yet. ;) I imagine something must have happened after Ettu arrived to Bleywood that made the Lord quite angry, but what that may have been is still a mystery...

The stickers appear to be custom on the shields, but look great,

Those are actually official ones from the 71040 Disney Castle: sticker sheet :classic:

And that's the kind of build that makes me wish I was still in Mitgardia! :grin:  I love the number of rooms and scenes (and story-plots) you've got into this build, and the amount of detail you've managed to fit into each - a couple of my favorite bits being the dark green in the stonework underneath and the tapestries on the hall-room walls.  That roof and the log framing of the walls definitely deserve mention as well - top-notch stuff all around!

What´s not to admire here! :wub:The angeled castle, the multiple rooms, floors and angels. Your interior is really great, even for soccerkod to find some inspiration! :laugh:

This has to be one of my favorite GoH builds ever :wub::wub:
The off the grid placement of the entire stronghold combined with the cut-away interiors makes for an extremely engaging model. And you handled those angles so smoothly!

Each of the interior rooms offers interesting designs and details to admire. Some of my favorite are the stone vaults in the cellar, wooden rafters in the kitchen, and circular staircase :thumbup:

There's certainly no lack of detail on the building exterior either! Insane combination of wood beams with stone walls, and the shingled roof is top-notch.

Featured on Brickbuilt :classic:

Congratz man! You nailed it with your clever idea!

#swedishlegomaffia

Thanks everyone! Really happy to come out on top among such great entries. 

Guess it's time to demolish and start building something new. ;) 

Congrats man! Some really great details and an impressive amount of things happening in a limited amount of space. 

This is such an amazing build! I love the story and the way you've interweaved an intricate and believable tale interspersed with so many lovely photos.

The tower house itself has so many nice techniques and features - I love the irregular roof tiles and the way you've embedded the wooden pillars into the side of the stonework.

Great job!