knotian

Solved-Problems drawing circular structures - need suggestions

I have built several, with more to come, circular structures. When they are completed they are fitted to a base plate using 1x2 and offset plates. This does entail some stressing, but I have had no problems in the couple of years I've been working on this project. The structures are braced internally and I again use small turntables and offset plates, etc to support normal technic bricks. Every thing ends up solid.

I'd like to do drawings and instructions. Therein lies the problem. The above techniques defy drawing a complete structure.

My current thoughts are to draw the base, but never use it. Float the structure above it with all the bracing shown and then give written notes as to how to put it together.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Technical note - All my bracing starts connecting to the structure above the third level, and by that time the stresses on the structure have naturally worked themselves out.

One of my test structures is attached

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fqxsw8vfzmrymwy/AAA__P_LbXweHJredEq4q81va?dl=0

Edited by knotian
Solution found

It depends on the complexity of your structure, but by computing the placements of parts in the LDraw format might be doable.

This is what I did for the large ring in this GBC module:

425.png

I computed the placements of the inner 1x2 bricks and used sub models with the 1x2 bricks placed at (0,0,0) to model the ring even through other parts (including the Technic pins) are used in it. The instructions can be seen here: https://brickhub.org/i/425

The math for computing the placements is fairly basic, but will of course be slightly different when using 1x2 plates and round 1x1 plates to achieve a similar shape in smaller scale.

When the mountain won't come to you - you go to the mountain.

I solved the problem by moving the offset and 1x2 plates to where the circle would fit - not the other way. This results in a 'legal' circle of slightly shorter diameter.

I believe I can place the rest of the pieces ok, since the number of pieces in the circle has not changed. Hope I have enough 1x2 offsets:laugh: