So it’s taken me a while to decide what I was going to build and I’ve settled on an exploration Rover vehicle. I’ve been watching some of the Mars tv programme by National Geographic and this along with The Martian and Lost in Space (Netflix) will be my main sources of inspiration.

48045660731_258c36d666_b.jpg

I'm calling it Scarab as it’ll have 6 wheels. I’m planning on them all being driven. Just not too sure how many will steer or in which direction. As in front 2 axles steer (2nd not as much as 1st) or axles 1 & 3 steer to the same amount but in opposite directions. Oh and the axles will be a lot further apart than this.

48045698843_f556b06982_b.jpg

I mainly spent last night working on this some suspension geometry. I’m reasonably happy with it.

I’ve also got a rough body shape that I’ve not taken a pic of. But that’s just to work around as it’ll be taken apart as I add more bits.

still not sure if this will me a manual or partially powered model. Depends on how much space I get to mount motors etc vs the look and feel I want.

I hope to provide updates on a weekly basis as the boss now works away from home mid week so I can get a solid night building once a week.

Looking forward to see some progress!

A quick Sunday update from me. A quick couple of hours working out what the suspension looks like when you build in the other plane to get the diffs in and I’ve ended up here

48073386648_2313018425_b.jpg

I think I’m reasonably happy with these. So then I did this.

48073340311_4ee2ed5aa2_b.jpg

I think they’ll end up at least a couple of studs further apart this was just to see what it looked liked. Final spacing will depend on my wheel choice and what looks right.

In my first post I’d hinted at a body shape. Here it is below, the plan for this week is to take this apart and stretch it a bit to integrate the chassis into it. I think the bottom angles will go.

48073386448_be78d1ce63_b.jpg

the eagle-eyed of you will also notice this has an even spacing on its width ... it was just meant as a test of the shape.

Hopefully get some build time on Tuesday this week as Wednesday I’m out enjoying my day job in the evening ?

Minor update from me. Spent a couple of hours today spacing the axles based on my wheel selection, the aim to have a space of a wheel between a wheel. Which means it’s got about 8 Studs longer.

Then I tried to work out some steering and in the process tidied up and linked the drive shafts.

might get an hour or so to tinker tomorrow if not it’ll be Wednesday before I pick this up again.

48108581452_81913a58a0_b.jpg48108581512_0f904bc745_b.jpg

enjoy

1 hour ago, Srdjan5033 said:

Looking good. What size wheel are you going to use ?

55.8 Dia Sprockets is the plan

A quick update from me and a call for HELP!

So first of all I built this tonight ...

48134545862_f98078d00a_b.jpg

the eagle eyed of you may recognise this from a TLG model ... as the old engineering term goes if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Then I modified the chassis to connect the steering and plug on a couple of motors to see if it actually works and I ended up with this ...

48134545962_06a1d84ff3_b.jpg

a servo motor for the steering and a M motor for the drive. Steering works fine but I get good old clicky sounds from the drive. I’m guessing it all needs bracing. Or is the motor part of the problem? Help ... advice please. Here’s a close-up of the motor in question. I do have XL motors that I could use.

48134452581_2f8a87a7d9_b.jpg

And here it is in all its clicky grindy action.

I think I’ll be swapping out the shocks for yellow ones as it’s starting to Chiron on me already.

Next scheduled build ... possibly Sunday Afternoon / Evening

Edited by Seasider

I think it just needs bracing - it sounds like gears skipping. The M-motor connection doesn't look very secure.

Another piece of advice is - I don't recommend using just connectors on an axle in situations where gear trains are involved - especially high-torque applications like drive. You could probably put a 5L beam in there going from immediately below the M motor to the 20T gear driving the differential.

Anyways, I like the design and the wide independent suspension looks really cool. I also like your choice of "wheels" - looks very fitting for a Mars exploration vehicle. I was thinking of this wheel, but I guess they're too narrow and a bit bumpy.

OK I'm after a bit of help from those who do PF models. Looking at some of the TLG sets like the recent 6x6 Truck it seems the drive is done via an XL motor. So is this what I need to use to drive mine ?

Judging by the size, properly geared m-motors (worm geared if high speed isn't needed) or 1-2 l-motors should do fine. XL motor will give you lots of torque to work with and proper offroading abilities. Afterall, 9398 was powered by 2L motors.

Edited by syclone

@syclone I don't want the model to go fast and it's not going to have supreme off-roading abilities.

I think I might have trouble mounting an XL motor, so I may switch to 2 L motors either side of the blue gear which then will lower them a bit too

So it’s been just over a week since my last update and a lot has changed. So here’s a big update and to do list!

I took apart the drive system and put in vertically mounted liftarms to connect the axles together. This took a long time but thankfully my chassis was modular so I could work on one section at a time. I also switched to 2 L motors for the drive so that meant more tearing up of the design, but they mounted nicely in the chassis. This got me to here ...

48252383326_4ff691bedb_b.jpg

You may also notice the winch is mounted and there is some good bracing longitudinally along the top of the chassis.

But this was last Tuesday & Wednesday, since then I’ve been working on the body ...

After a few iterations I’ve come up with this ...

48252449407_c688892e12_b.jpg48252383166_f3b298e011_b.jpg

and that’s where I was last night.

Tonight has been what seemed like a very slow build night just building the back panel and I’ve settled on this ...

48252449422_ae094247a1_b.jpg

... and I’m quite happy with the look although I may change the 2 holes that are there for the rearmost suspension springs. I like to build from scratch rather than CAD so I do lots of trial and error and what I would call “Dry Builds” if I was to use car manufacturing terminology.

The Top is currently removable which allows me to still modify the chassis, it’ll most probably stay this way. But you’ll notice the bottom isn’t connected to the chassis properly yet either.

48252383456_738c86370f_b.jpg

Jobs left to do :

Design some Seats

Create a “fake” back wall to the cabin

Tidy the winch and add some Bull Bars ... which will have no purpose apart from looking cool as I don’t think you get Bulls on Mars

Finish the main shell once a BrickLink order arrives

Fix the lower half of the body to the chassis

Work out where to put some lights

Work out the wiring route for everything and where to mount the battery

Do my first ever attempt at custom stickers ... time to flex some PowerPoint skills

Learn how to setup and use the Sbrick  - perhaps one of the most important steps

Oh and perhaps make some additional stowage racks to go on each side.

Next build time might be at the weekend if I’m lucky, if not it’ll be next Tues/Wed

Enjoy

Really digging the octagon-based design of the vehicle (both the hull and canopy) as well as the use of small wheelarches inside the cabin. And great to see the powertrain finished with extra POWER. Will be eagerly avaiting the next update/ finished model!

I just started watching MARS on netflix and I can see where some of the inspiration comes from for this. looking really good!

2 hours ago, syclone said:

Really digging the octagon-based design of the vehicle (both the hull and canopy) as well as the use of small wheelarches inside the cabin. And great to see the powertrain finished with extra POWER. Will be eagerly avaiting the next update/ finished model!

Thanks, I was aiming for the colour scheme from the 2019 City Space sets and the Vette Wheelarch seemed perfect for making the top of the console

7 minutes ago, MangaNOID said:

I just started watching MARS on netflix and I can see where some of the inspiration comes from for this. looking really good!

Yes MARS was part of my inspiration. The Martian and Netflix's Lost In Space are 2 others with similar vehicles. Unfortunately Netflix only has Series 1 and I know there's been 3 of them.

Great progress! Love the color scheme and the wheel arches solution.

Finished. Well I think I am. Enjoy some quick pics. Official entry we be posted in about a week and a half time as I’m busy with work and travelling.

48338581221_eab1c7c346_b.jpg48338722347_a56365536c_b.jpg48338582771_1b11622a56_b.jpg48338582581_08d0a68681_b.jpg

I hope you like it

The cabin turned out so great, the seats look fantastic as well. The lightbar on top breaks the boxy appearance very well and adds to the realistic functions. The stickers are just :wub:

IMHO you made really cool vehicle; it fits everything (what we think vehicle for planets like Mars have Tobe based on information that we have so far from science publications...). Now you need two "astronauts" but train them not to yeil Houston we have a problem (again) :laugh: