Electricsteam

A few questions about some old topics?

Hey I know it's been forever since I've been around but I have some questions about projects from a couple years back before I kinda left the community for a while.

Did anything ever become of those real metal tracks?   The name is fuzzy and I can't seem to find it myself but there was a company working on new 9V compatible metal tracks in several new radii.

I remember there being a few other new rail projects like crossings and new switches that folks were working on a few years back too but I think those were 3D printer.

New 3D printer Monorail tracks? I remember some sni

Also has there been any MOCS using the new coaster rails as a narrow gauge railroad? I've looked around and all I've really seen is that special BrickLink set and then just some standard coasters. I know a local guy in RVALUG was making a pretty sick Mesa Mine coaster with a train styled coaster.  I did however just order a nice set of the coaster track through bricks and pieces which I can't wait to play with. 

I've been thinking that the new coaster tracks could finally be a replacement for the long loved monorail system the only problem I've been stewing over is the way we can power the train as well as how well it would be able to handle the different types of slopes they have. I know the coaster tracks are much shorter and no where near as smooth an incline as the monorail.

Sorry about the rambley post I haven't had any luck with my google-fu and it's been quite a long time since I've been around.

1 hour ago, Electricsteam said:

...Sorry about the rambley post I haven't had any luck with my google-fu and it's been quite a long time since I've been around.

Most of this should come up via google or EB’s own search functions... but yeah, you’ve missed a ton.

Although to be honest, not a drastic amount of change has happened... outside of the PF 2.0 components being more costly? Also (unsurprisingly) no train-related projects have yet to make it through the Lego Ideas’ decathlon as of yet. 

53 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

Most of this should come up via google or EB’s own search functions... but yeah, you’ve missed a ton.

Although to be honest, not a drastic amount of change has happened... outside of the PF 2.0 components being more costly? Also (unsurprisingly) no train-related projects have yet to make it through the Lego Ideas’ decathlon as of yet. 

Yeah I've been digging it's hard to find what I saw before when you can't remember a single name.     Wish I could remember the tracks though... BrickTracks has similar geometry but looks nothing like what I can think off.    A few years back I swore Western Outlaw was using some of the prototypes for his trains but I can't seem to find the videos anymore.   

It's hard getting back into the hobby I have no sets or MOCs built anymore and just a ton of unsorted bricks to go through.    Hell. Even my pride and joy pneumatic train got smashed to pieces a year or two back.

Never mind I found one.   ME Metal rails seems to have kicked the bucket. What a shame those rails looks extremely promising at the time. Dude even had a BrickFair Booth at one point.

Edited by Electricsteam

For the old time track solutions, ME gone, BBB had a promising idea but pulled out before getting to market.

The bricktracks rails are top notch, more detail here in a long thread, I THINK they are still working on a 9v compatible design.

Bricktraindepot is selling 3D printed track that is 9v compatible. I haven't seen it yet but sounds promising. More detail here.

4DBrix and TrixBrix sell all sorts of crazy 3D printed geometries, both strictly in plastic I believe. 4D also has monorail.

If you are into monorail, you should also see some of the amazing brickbuilt solutions in this thread. I think there are also a few examples of the new roller coaster rails being used as "monorails"

I hope some new 9V solution is finisned soon.   I bought myself a starter set of 9V stuff a while back thinking I expand once ME or something else became available. Did anything ecer come of those new 9V compatible power pick up system?   I swore some guys were working on making new wheels and axels for that sorta stuff 

I (BrickTracks) was working on the 9V pickup wheels and 9V tracks.  The designs are done, and I have costs for all the tooling, but I haven't done anything further with it, and I likely won't.  I simply can't justify the costs.  Fewer and fewer people are using 9V these days.  Even if I released an entire platform, it's doubtful very many people are going to convert back to 9V.  10 years ago, maybe, but not today.

But if you want to throw about $80k my way I'll make it happen for you.

2 hours ago, coaster said:

I (BrickTracks) was working on the 9V pickup wheels and 9V tracks.  The designs are done, and I have costs for all the tooling, but I haven't done anything further with it, and I likely won't.  I simply can't justify the costs.  Fewer and fewer people are using 9V these days.  Even if I released an entire platform, it's doubtful very many people are going to convert back to 9V.  10 years ago, maybe, but not today.

But if you want to throw about $80k my way I'll make it happen for you.

Best I can do for you with a mini lathe and some off cuts of brass.   

What a shame,  I feel like I came into the Lego train hobby and both the best and worst times... Worse being the fact it was just long enough after dropping the 9V system to where it's being dropped but at the same time probably the best time for Lego trains in recent history.    The Emerald Knight, the Maersk Cargo Train, the TGV...  

The trains have been kinda lacking for the last few years but it seems like its picking back up especially with the new Hogwarts express.    It's passenger car is a little lacking though, it seems like they retired that nice rounded train window.

Sorry I'm just being nostalgic and rambley again.

I finally got my hands on a significant amount of coaster rails!   It's hard to describe what I was expecting they are both a lot bigger and a lot smaller then the picture I had in my brain.   

These could make a great lite rail regardless of the very tight radius turns.

That and if you want to bring in all the slope pieces into the mix...

I mean the pre made coaster carts are nice and great for high speed but I don't think you really need to clip your train onto the rail like the coaster tracks do because you're just not going to have the speed to knock it off the rails.

This is a pretty cool design by JK Brickworks 

I think I wanna play with using modified small train wheels with the same drive mechanisms as Alban Nanty's Western Layout 

He uses the modified wheels with a cog and gear style railroad for going up and down.   You might be able to work that into a layout but with the small chain pies for the grip needed going up and down slopes.

RFsbm77.jpg

Edited by Electricsteam

I think a people mover from terminal to terminal at a large international airport would fit those tracks nicely.  It won't be necessary to use the slopes as generally they don't have much inclines (maybe bad for luggage on wheels rolling around). 

Is that a working Commodore 1702 monitor in the background?

On 6/25/2019 at 10:44 AM, dr_spock said:

I think a people mover from terminal to terminal at a large international airport would fit those tracks nicely.  It won't be necessary to use the slopes as generally they don't have much inclines (maybe bad for luggage on wheels rolling around). 

Is that a working Commodore 1702 monitor in the background?

Yes yes it is... Would you be shocked to hear I got it for free a few months ago I just had to give it a new cord. I left Lego for a long while and started retrocomputing.   I got a NIB Commodore 64 C and it's been downhill from there hahaha.

That and vacuum tube radios and TVs. Traded one expensive hobby for another as my Lego table got eaten up by vacuum tube test equipment and tools.

A people movie is a good idea!  I was also thinking about making a mountain lift or any other really steep rail line.    So instead of a chain or a motor system you could lift and lower the tram using a pulley and string.

There is just something about an elevated light rail or people mover that is very pleasing to me.

Do people really dislike the new Hogwarts Express that much?  I picked it up for a good deal the other day and I'm pretty impressed.  It feels like you get a lot of stuff for the price.

I got it for 50$ 15$ cheaper than the shelf price of 65$ at the targets around here.   

I mean it's pretty nice! You get a good looking steam engine with an okay looking passenger car and a nice and big station to play with and post your minifigs.  

It's got real steam wheels unlike the 2010 train and I mean... the OG train is just sad it doesn't even have train wheels! 

You do lose out on the magnet connectors which I guess is kinda sad but worth it for the price.   

Sorry for the ramble I've just been enjoying this train too much! 

That and I thought I've been building my trains short.... the pneumatic train I made is near dead on the same height as the Hogwarts Express 

11 hours ago, Electricsteam said:

Do people really dislike the new Hogwarts Express that much

For me personally I bought 3. But i bought them for parts.  To me the train is very toy like as opposed to say the emerald night.  So my personal plan is to make it look more like the the Olton Hall

22 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

For me personally I bought 3. But i bought them for parts.  To me the train is very toy like as opposed to say the emerald night.  So my personal plan is to make it look more like the the Olton Hall

I have two of them for the same reason.

On 6/10/2019 at 10:28 PM, Electricsteam said:

Never mind I found one.   ME Metal rails seems to have kicked the bucket. What a shame those rails looks extremely promising at the time. Dude even had a BrickFair Booth at one point.

A fellow LUG member actually got some ME metal rail and brought it too a recent convention that I was at. It was really rough stuff and did not join together very well. He has a very hard time keeping a complete circuit going. You did not miss anything.

Somewhere is your thread, you lamented at the demise of the 9v era. I'm not sure that this is so. I was at Brick World Chicago and saw/heard several great ideas for powered track.  As excited as everybody is about the new track geometry's that are coming out, it would all be dropped in a heartbeat if a viable DCC system came out for Lego trains. 

2 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

As excited as everybody is about the new track geometry's that are coming out, it would all be dropped in a heartbeat if a viable DCC system came out for Lego trains. 

Who wouldn't want their MOC to have bells and whistles and chuff appropriately with speed? 

I've seen several people add the units ... But they are far from plug-n-play

1 hour ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Who wouldn't want their MOC to have bells and whistles and chuff appropriately with speed? 

Honestly, if the PFx Brick had some sort of rotation sensor add-on to time the chuffs properly then it would be very nearly perfect. 

3 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Just use pneumatic and listen to it chuff and whistle like crazy with 50PSI being pushed through it.   

It is terrifying.   I hooked up a can of air duster to my train and ut sure can go!   Just feels like its going to explode from all the noises its making.

2 hours ago, Daedalus304 said:

Honestly, if the PFx Brick had some sort of rotation sensor add-on to time the chuffs properly then it would be very nearly perfect. 

Surpised no one has made a Lego DCC equivalent.   Stick an arduino and a rechargeable battery in a Lego bat box and go to town.  

6 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

A fellow LUG member actually got some ME metal rail and brought it too a recent convention that I was at. It was really rough stuff and did not join together very well. He has a very hard time keeping a complete circuit going. You did not miss anything.

Somewhere is your thread, you lamented at the demise of the 9v era. I'm not sure that this is so. I was at Brick World Chicago and saw/heard several great ideas for powered track.  As excited as everybody is about the new track geometry's that are coming out, it would all be dropped in a heartbeat if a viable DCC system came out for Lego trains. 

Id still love to get my hands on a length or two.    Kinda a shame his whole business went under it seems it was nice stuff.... At least I remember it being nice stuff it has been god knows how long. 

1 hour ago, Electricsteam said:

Id still love to get my hands on a length or two.    Kinda a shame his whole business went under it seems it was nice stuff.... At least I remember it being nice stuff it has been god knows ho

Ive never seen it myself but from those that have i understand it was great out of the box but didnit hold up to constantly reclicking ... Better suited for a semi permanent home layout.  Or modular that does not have a connection at that point.

What I've seen in other threads indicates that even for permanent/semi-permanent home layouts, ME rail had to be glued down or otherwise fixed in place without much room for expansion/contraction.

Multiple people lost some serious money on their kickstarter.  (I didn't, but instead lost a substantial amount on Brixo.  :damn:  Poopheads.  )  I should just be glad I missed out on the ME track!

22 hours ago, Electricsteam said:

Id still love to get my hands on a length or two.    Kinda a shame his whole business went under it seems it was nice stuff.... At least I remember it being nice stuff it has been god knows how long. 

It was one of the best things at the time and pretty much opened the door to long rollingstock, but it had many problems. Most people eventually had to glue it together. It has been eclipsed by Brick Tracks.

On 6/26/2019 at 8:51 PM, Electricsteam said:

Yes yes it is... Would you be shocked to hear I got it for free a few months ago I just had to give it a new cord. I left Lego for a long while and started retrocomputing.   I got a NIB Commodore 64 C and it's been downhill from there hahaha.

That and vacuum tube radios and TVs. Traded one expensive hobby for another as my Lego table got eaten up by vacuum tube test equipment and tools.

A people movie is a good idea!  I was also thinking about making a mountain lift or any other really steep rail line.    So instead of a chain or a motor system you could lift and lower the tram using a pulley and string.

There is just something about an elevated light rail or people mover that is very pleasing to me.

Free is good.  I love free hardware.  It could be a fun project to combine the two like interface the C64 user port to Power Function's IR to control LEGO trains through Commodore BASIC.  Now that PF has been superceded by Powered UP.  Does that mean PF is now retro-LEGO.  :laugh:

Alright so I got a nice raise and had a bit of a binge.... Hahahahaha    

I picked up the new Passenger Train 60197, the whole of the expert miners series and that truck and camper.(Everything was on clearance but the train woo hoo)

I have to say I'm digging the new train a lot!  A lot of useable pieces but my only major gripe with it is the use of the Yellow-Gold BUTP and caps.    I know I have't bought too many sets in the while but the Yellow-Gold is a pretty uncommon color.   

BUTP(Big Ugly Train Pieces) always sorta bugged me at least the one for this set has more useful geometry and connections.  Sets like the TGV and the 7938 Passenger train where they build up the front cabin without too many large premade bricks. 

Congrats on the raise.  Those large pieces are for kids crashing trains and quick rebuild after the crash to crash some more.  :classic:

On 7/7/2019 at 6:25 AM, dr_spock said:

t could be a fun project to combine the two like interface the C64 user port to Power Function's IR to control LEGO trains through Commodore BASIC.

Ohhhhh yessss !!!!!

That would be so cool.

Now I have a working Sinclair ZX81 ... and a Sinclair Spectrum with some custom hardware I added back then in the good'ol days. Hmmm ...

Best
Thorsten