Glenn Holland

[MOC] Buffalo Creek & Gauley 2-8-0 #13

Hi forum.

It's been a while since I've built a model for myself. More than 2.5 years, actually. This late winter and early spring, I've been working to end that cold streak and here is the result:

I modeled Buffalo Creek & Gauley 2-8-0 #13.

48037055707_a20918d5b8_b.jpgBuffalo Creek & Gauley 2-8-0 #13 by Glenn Holland, on Flickr

Due to the gap in my personal building, I wanted to choose a locomotive which could be completed with relative ease, minimum of custom electronics, but would allow me to model a high level of detail. The BC&G #13 had been on my list for sometime, so I decided to go for it. Mechanically, the locomotive is identical to Brickmania's S160 2-8-0. It's driven by a single L motor coupled to an IR receiver but uses a custom battery (out of necessity). I did end up installing a sound system from Dallee Electronics which I took out of a previous dismantled locomotive. 

48036953381_ba4d62bb36_b.jpgBuffalo Creek & Gauley 2-8-0 #13 by Glenn Holland, on Flickr

Thanks to Cale Leiphart for his support, photo taking, and work with the decals, thanks to Andy Mollmann for printing the decals, and thanks to Brooks Stover for his amazing BC&G website.

Link to Brooks' website: http://www.buffalocreekandgauley.com/

Link to my Flickr album for the locomotive: https://www.flickr.com/photos/41032663@N08/albums/72157709020830252/with/48036954871/

Link to the article I wrote for Brick Model Railroader: https://brickmodelrailroader.com/index.php/2019/06/10/buffalo-creek-gauley-2-8-0-13-by-glenn-holland/

And lastly the the video I made showing the details and running: 

Thanks for checking it out. Happy building.

Glenn Holland

That's beautiful!  Great detail and execution throughout, and those chrome gold pieces really make it pop.

Oh, good! Glad you posted here so I can come back and reference it in the future. Things disappear off Facebook so quickly and I can never find them again.

Edited by ecmo47

11 hours ago, legobanker said:

Very nice build!  Awesome detail work :thumbup:

9 hours ago, deraven said:

That's beautiful!  Great detail and execution throughout, and those chrome gold pieces really make it pop.

8 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Wow. *huh* That has to be one of the best train MOCs I've seen in a long time!

Thanks all! 

2 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

Oh. good! Glad you posted here so I can come back and reference it in the future. Things disappear off Facebook so quickly and I can never find them again.

Sure thing. Facebook's search function isn't the greatest.

1 hour ago, Laura Beinbrech said:

Excellent work as usual, Glenn!  Hopefully I can see this thing in person sometime (will you be taking to any PennLUG mettings?)

Thank you, If there's a PennLUG meeting I can make, I'll bring it along.

As others have said - a beautiful steam engine - one of the most beautiful steamers I have seen.

What I really really like though is the entire train. She pulls it so nicely and smoothly - and everything is "in harmony".

Wow. Congratulations!

Best regards,
Thorsten

Yep im sold ... Lol beautiful loco.  Its amazing at how different the models look even though the basic geartrain is the same.   

You mentioned the sound card is lego compatible ... Is there more info on this somewhere?

Edited by Roadmonkeytj

Great train. Overall it is mindblowing. All those details. And in such a consistent way. Nothing is "off".

And those gears look amazing. Nice piece of 3D printing (at least that is what I assume it is).

17 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Fantastic piston rods! :wub_drool:

Beautiful steam locomotive and very accurate details! :thumbup:

Thanks! I put a lot of effort into research. To me what really makes a locomotive identifiable is the details - in this case, things like the dual air pumps, three air tanks, offset rear driving axle - they all are subtle nuances but have a huge effect on the final model.

17 hours ago, Toastie said:

As others have said - a beautiful steam engine - one of the most beautiful steamers I have seen.

What I really really like though is the entire train. She pulls it so nicely and smoothly - and everything is "in harmony".

Wow. Congratulations!

Best regards,
Thorsten

What a compliment! Thank you!

I tried to go for the "United States Shortline" style when I was choosing what cars to put behind this engine for the video. It looks great, although several more hoppers would be more appropriate!

The locomotive is indeed very smooth. It's well balanced and doesn't tear itself apart.

12 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Yep im sold ... Lol beautiful loco.  Its amazing at how different the models look even though the basic geartrain is the same.   

You mentioned the sound card is lego compatible ... Is there more info on this somewhere?

Thanks! Having a good starting point always helps. The difference is in the details.

I use the Hi-Line Steam sound card from Dallee Electronics. This is my second time using it, the first being my reading 4-6-2 "Crusader". I wrote an article about it for Brickjournal #46. The packaging is a little different but the setup is the same. To summarize:

- Sound card. This particular card has 10 whistles and 6 bells from Eastern US railroads.

- Speaker. Dallee sells different size speakers that plug into the sound card.

- Chuff sync. Dallee has two options: magnetic and optical. I use magnetic. Two magnets are glue on opposite sides of a technic axle and the sensor is mounted nearby on the fourth driving axle.

- LEGO interface. It will require some soldering, but you'll be able to operate the whistle and bell off of LEGO IR if you use the interface. Power for the card comes from the interface as well. The prototype of this product is actually what's powering the system in my Crusader.

5 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Great train. Overall it is mindblowing. All those details. And in such a consistent way. Nothing is "off".

And those gears look amazing. Nice piece of 3D printing (at least that is what I assume it is).

Much appreciated! It seems the connecting rods are what people enjoy the most, which is very gratifying to hear. This is the first time I've designed a full set of running gear by myself. I opted for more detail rather than keeping the "LEGO" look to them. It's a little unconventional but I don't think it distracts the viewer from the rest of the model.

They are indeed 3D printed. I used Shapeway's Fine Detail Plastic and used Tamaiya TS-100 paint for the gunmetal color. The only modification I had to do to these parts is ream out the main crank pin hole a little so it would run more smoothly.

Edited by Glenn Holland

Really gorgeous steam engine. Hard to imagine getting any more more detail at that scale, you've build a beautiful masterpiece. Fantastic work!

OK, not to be a downer, (you just have to catch me on these 'downer days' LOL) and i understand this is a accurate model, but the 1x1 cheese wedges on the coal trailer seem to touch the tracks. anyways, i have never seen a build with so much detail. amazing job, i love it.

great parts usage, too, i just now looked at the pics.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:50 PM, koalayummies said:

Really gorgeous steam engine. Hard to imagine getting any more more detail at that scale, you've build a beautiful masterpiece. Fantastic work!

On 6/16/2019 at 4:48 PM, peedeejay said:

What a beauty. Truly amazing build!

6 hours ago, Modeltrainman said:

Wow, Glenn! That is awesome!

5 hours ago, coinoperator said:

Fantastic,
what a beautifull eyecatcher..

Love at first sight.

Thanks all of you for the compliments!

1 hour ago, HistoryGuy said:

OK, not to be a downer, (you just have to catch me on these 'downer days' LOL) and i understand this is a accurate model, but the 1x1 cheese wedges on the coal trailer seem to touch the tracks. anyways, i have never seen a build with so much detail. amazing job, i love it.

great parts usage, too, i just now looked at the pics.

Thank you! Regarding the cheese slopes, the definitely seem to touch the top of the rail in the photos I posted. I can assure you that they do not. Like the rest of the locomotives and rolling stock I've built, they sit about one plate above the rail. This is a common truck design that I have to thank Cale Leiphart for.

Glenn

Fantastic MOC! Just pleasure for my eyes)
Can you share the secret - how do you paint those white circle stripes on the large wheels?

6 hours ago, Jefry Been said:

Fantastic MOC! Just pleasure for my eyes)
Can you share the secret - how do you paint those white circle stripes on the large wheels?

Thanks!

I used a silver Sharpie paint pen for that. I mounted the wheel facing up using some scrap plates and an axle. Then I just spun the plate around and held the pen to the tire. The tire is slightly raised from the spokes, so it was easy to only paint the tire. Just takes a steady hand and some patience. Paint thinner can't hurt to have on hand, though.