Lasse D

[GBC] Modular Tipper Module

This is my latest version of my very first Great Ball Contraption module - the simple tipper. I have made a video showing the details and how it can be combined in a circuit of similar modules with bridges and common motors:

HISTORY

The first version was quickly made to a competition in my LUG back in 2007

gbc007.jpg

The deadline was coming up and I did not have a video camera. The pictures (see them cut together in the video) were taking using one of those $20 'stick' digicams that were popular back in the early 2000's.

The module was shined up for LEGO Fan Weekend in Skærbæk, 2007:

skaerbaek2.jpg

The theme was Aquanauts, but this is unfortunately the best picture I have of it. I brought this and the green 'Logo Roco' module to the event. The other module had a tendency to tear itself apart due to being built using normal bricks and having a hammer to shoot the balls up - similar to the gameplay of the game Loco Roco.

The next version of the module had the normal bricks replaced with Technic, the blue rails replaced with a tile and is much more open, making the balls easier to follow:

nf1_1.jpg

Unfortunately lifting the ramp caused the motor to wear out prematurely, and the outbox was not easy to align with other modules. You can see it in action in the first video, and in this at 6:45:

IMPROVEMENTS

The latest module has a counterweight in the inbox to reduce wear on the motor

1tipper1.jpg

The outbox is now to the side to avoid the moving outbox alignment issue:

1tipper6.jpg

BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS

For this reason there are also two building instructions: One for the outbox left and one for outbox right:

Left: https://brickhub.org/i/445

Right: https://brickhub.org/i/446

445.png

446.png

MOTORIZATION

The module can be powered by both an M or an L-motor

1tipper3.jpg

The motor can be mounted both in the middle and at the sides (see the video for how)

1tipper2.jpg

FUNCTIONS

The inbox is 'antagonized' by moving back and forth:

1tipper5.jpg

And the module is fairly open to make it easier to follow the balls move through:

1tipper4.jpg

The holes in the ends can be used to connect other modules of the same kind using pins:

2circuit1.jpg

You can use bridges to make things more interesting, and common rail motorization to reduce the amount of motors required:

2circuit2.jpg

This will be my last 'simple' module for a while. My plans are to make a couple of really interesting ones for the upcoming LEGO event in Fürth.

Take care, and remember if you follow the building instructions: Colors are not important in GBC!