Sign in to follow this  
Leverandon

New forum user - looking to get into MOCs

Everyone,

I'm excited to be a member of EuroBricks. I've been browsing the site for years and it seems like time to jump in.

About me:

My name is Steve. I'm 34 years old and have a two year old child who is just starting to get into DUPLO while "helping" me a bit with LEGO. I'm from the United States but work as a diplomat abroad and am currently stationed in Cairo, Egypt. 

I've been playing with and collecting LEGO since I was about three years old. I never truly had a "dark ages," having purchased a set or two nearly every year during my college years and twenties. However, most of my childhood sets have been in storage until recently and my more recently purchased ones have mostly just been on display after being built. I recently got all of my childhood LEGO out of storage and everything is now in one place for the first time ever. I'm eager to sort it all out and dip my toe into MOC building.

My favorite older themes are 1980s/90s Castle, Space and Pirate. Of more recent stuff, I'm a fan of Star Wars, Modular Buildings and the Collectible Minifigures series. 

I've got tons of questions about how best to sort and store bricks as well as the best way to design (I know there are some CAD programs out there). Looking forward to exploring the site and posting photos of whatever I end up creating. I'm also interested in exploring Mindstorms, which I had a bit of experience programming with C at a college prep camp in the early 2000s. I'd love to see what people have come up with using the more recent EV3. 

On 6/11/2019 at 5:44 AM, dr_spock said:

Welcome to Eurobricks, Steve.   You can install EV3DEV on your Mindstorm EV3 if you prefer to use C.  https://www.ev3dev.org/

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone. dr_spock, I'll look into EV3DEV after I get an EV3 kit!

On 6/10/2019 at 1:12 PM, Leverandon said:

Everyone,

I'm excited to be a member of EuroBricks. I've been browsing the site for years and it seems like time to jump in.

About me:

My name is Steve. I'm 34 years old and have a two year old child who is just starting to get into DUPLO while "helping" me a bit with LEGO. I'm from the United States but work as a diplomat abroad and am currently stationed in Cairo, Egypt. 

I've been playing with and collecting LEGO since I was about three years old. I never truly had a "dark ages," having purchased a set or two nearly every year during my college years and twenties. However, most of my childhood sets have been in storage until recently and my more recently purchased ones have mostly just been on display after being built. I recently got all of my childhood LEGO out of storage and everything is now in one place for the first time ever. I'm eager to sort it all out and dip my toe into MOC building.

My favorite older themes are 1980s/90s Castle, Space and Pirate. Of more recent stuff, I'm a fan of Star Wars, Modular Buildings and the Collectible Minifigures series. 

I've got tons of questions about how best to sort and store bricks as well as the best way to design (I know there are some CAD programs out there). Looking forward to exploring the site and posting photos of whatever I end up creating. I'm also interested in exploring Mindstorms, which I had a bit of experience programming with C at a college prep camp in the early 2000s. I'd love to see what people have come up with using the more recent EV3. 

Welcome to Eurobricks, Steve!

Castle fan? Well welcome to our community! Hope to see you in the Historical section :)

On 6/17/2019 at 2:41 PM, leafan said:

Welcome to Eurobricks, Steve!

Castle fan? Well welcome to our community! Hope to see you in the Historical section :)

Thanks for the tip on the Historical section. Will definitely post over there.  I studied Classics in college and was thinking of starting with a small diorama of the Roman Senate rostrum to show off some of my ancient Roman minifigs.  

3 hours ago, Leverandon said:

Thanks for the tip on the Historical section. Will definitely post over there.  I studied Classics in college and was thinking of starting with a small diorama of the Roman Senate rostrum to show off some of my ancient Roman minifigs.  

That sounds great; I look forward to seeing it.

Edited by leafan

On 6/10/2019 at 10:12 PM, Leverandon said:

My favorite older themes are 1980s/90s Castle, Space and Pirate.

Welcome @Leverandon, we have something in common!  Although, I've only be able to focus on pirates, unfortunately I have yet to get around to castle and space.