Hey everyone, 

Presenting my latest MOC: the 42055 C model, a crawler crane. This build was probably my most anbitious ever, but it somehow went really smoothly as I encountered minimal problems while building it. The build has 5 power functions and numerous details:

• Winch
  • Boom 1st stage
  • Boom 2nd stage
  • Expanding tracks
  • Superstructure rotation

The crane is a full 4 feet tall when fully extended (and thus requires lots of counterweights in the form of 3 battery boxes)

Enough talk though, the video really explains everything! 

2019-06-09-20-45-272019-06-09-20-45-582019-06-09-20-44-512019-06-09-20-46-282019-06-09-20-48-16

Well, that's all. I hope you like it!

C&C are welcome!

BbBT

I don't believe the extended tracks are robust enough to support the heavy superstructure.

The only way to build a proper sliding mechanism is to use old Technic bricks.

Edited by Yevhen

Nice build.

Maybe create something on the side with the leftover parts?

I agree that the extending tracks seem a bit weak. Maybe try to reinforce those if you have space left.

I like this a lot. I can see what fellow members Yevhen and Captainmib mean about the weak point in the extended tracks but I wouldn’t have thought I’d take much to sort out. Great work nonetheless.

On 6/10/2019 at 1:05 PM, Yevhen said:

I don't believe the extended tracks are robust enough to support the heavy superstructure.

The only way to build a proper sliding mechanism is to use old Technic bricks.

I would agree. This was probably the hardest function to develop.

On 6/10/2019 at 2:43 PM, captainmib said:

Nice build.

Maybe create something on the side with the leftover parts?

I agree that the extending tracks seem a bit weak. Maybe try to reinforce those if you have space left.

There are very few leftover parts (like 400 only). I could use them to make cargo I guess...

On 6/10/2019 at 3:33 PM, grum64 said:

I like this a lot. I can see what fellow members Yevhen and Captainmib mean about the weak point in the extended tracks but I wouldn’t have thought I’d take much to sort out. Great work nonetheless.

Thank you!

29 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I would agree. This was probably the hardest function to develop.

I had made dozens of experimental sliding outriggers until found a perfect solution. My target was to make it as compact as possible, robust and with zero backlash.

Surprisingly even official Lego mechanics didn't satisfy me on this way! I literally had to invent something new and properly working!

Edited by Yevhen