SNIPE

Fine Grid Stepping Rotation in LDCAD?

Hi,

I am trying to use fine roate by going to prefs > editing > grid stepping..

However if I type anything less than 1,and click ok, it defaults back to 1 again.

The problem is that 1 degree is not always fine enough for advanced building when using the keyboard arrow keys to rotate a part..

So I have to awkwardly use the right click 'rotate' option when selecting a part.

Is there a fix or better way to do this?

Currently it will only accept 0.5 when below 1.0

Also the chosen step must be able to add up to 360 (so e.g. 1,5 would be ok but 3.5 not)

But in practice you should use larger steps only (e.g. 90 deg) while rotating with the keyboard as it WILL introduce rounding errors in the long run.

It's better to do precision rotations with the rotation dialog (ctrl+r) so it will be applied in one matrix mutation.

OK, I will use the rotation dialog.

can't the arrow keys apply to one matrix mutation though?

yes but each time you press the key it will do an additional mutation.

So pressing an arrow key 10 times with 1 degree stepping will do 10 matrix mutations on the selection.

While using the editing pin or rotation dialog the 10 degree mutation will be applied in one go.

This isn't necessary a bad thing, but on large models this can result in 'messy' coordinates (like 20.001 or 19.999, instead of 20) inside the final ldraw file.