Ecclesiastes

[PRESS RELEASE] 75936 - Jurassic Park

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

But... the community is also in fault here. Why is there dissapointment about the set not being the visitor center? TLG never said it was going to be the visitor center. Someone else did. A "leaker". And why did they make up something like that? Well, because people believe it. Because there is a public for their lies. Everytime an unfounded rumor appears, there are several replies talking about it. Does that mean we cant discuss rumors? No. But I think it does mean we have to remember it is us who decided to believe them in first place. So, if the rumor turns out to be fake and we are disspointed it no elses fault but ours. 

My 2 cents on the matter.

I think someone else said it before already but I'm not even sure people expected the visitor center because of rumours. It seems they just expected it because it's what made sense. When I saw a big set was coming and it was most likely gonna be a JP set, the first things that came to my mind were the visitor center, the T-rex breakout or maybe even the raptor paddock.

But really I think most of us are just disappointed by the lack of vehicle. I'm sure you'd have seen less negative comments if this set had included at least one of the main cars. I can do without the visitor center no problem but JP sets without the cars just feels like something major is missing because of how central they are to many scenes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Elrond said:

I think someone else said it before already but I'm not even sure people expected the visitor center because of rumours. It seems they just expected it because it's what made sense. When I saw a big set was coming and it was most likely gonna be a JP set, the first things that came to my mind were the visitor center, the T-rex breakout or maybe even the raptor paddock.

But really I think most of us are just disappointed by the lack of vehicle. I'm sure you'd have seen less negative comments if this set had included at least one of the main cars. I can do without the visitor center no problem but JP sets without the cars just feels like something major is missing because of how central they are to many scenes.

These are my feelings exactly.  The very first thing to come to my mind when hearing of a possible big JP set was the visitors center.  It wasn't a rumor that brought it to mind, it was knowledge of the movie and of big Lego sets.  It made sense.  Including a vehicle ALSO would have made sense, for the above reasons.  Had one been included and the little vignettes discarded I think a majority of people would have seen this set as a major win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 5:24 AM, Nabii said:

The use of the Jurassic World logo instead of the Jurassic Park one is the decision of the license holder.

I'm sorry reception of this set seems to have fallen so flat. I was hoping people would like it. It seems everyone was expecting a visitors centre, I have no idea why as this was never even discussed. Hopefully as people start to get their hands on it the general impression of the set will improve. I tried to make it cool. Cheers everyone.

This comment broke my heart. I feel we have possible forgotten that this set was designed by somebody, It may not be for everyone but it is stunning all the same. I could only imagine the amount of time and effort put into designing a set as large as this. Keep doing what you do best. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mr. Cube said:

...and I disagree. As an AFOL, I don´t know why should I see some storytelling in this set. What I see? Iconic T-Rex...brick built T-Rex with great shape and even movable. Iconic JP gate. Finally not some down-scaled version of gate. I could live without those scene-vignettes in the back of the gate, but I take them as some kind of homage to the original Jurassic Park film. They are not meant to play with them. They are just there to remind us the original Jurassic Park film, full of mystery, adventure and fun. This set should be displayed on shelf, it´s not targeted on kids, I really don´t get all that disappointment (or even "frustration"...come on!). As i said above, I would be more happier, if they included Ford Explorer and the minifigs/display stand had more accurate JP logos on them, but I really like this set.

I'm an AFOL as well (being 36 years-old), and I fail to see why that should make such a difference. There will be kids who are interested in Jurassic Park, probably as much as adults are. Just because a set has 3000 parts, doesn't mean that kids won't want it. Doesn't make it exclusive to adults. Sounds like some elitism there, if I'm honest. I would have loved to own huge sets when I was a kid, as I'm sure many kids these days do, but we simply didn't have the money (and I still don't lol). The reason I want to see a little storytelling is because personally I feel like it would improve the overall feel of the set, having an iconic scene from the movie recreated in LEGO form. Just feels like something is missing from the set. It's just two random things from the movie, and are in no way as good as a proper scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mr. Cube said:

...and I disagree. As an AFOL, I don´t know why should I see some storytelling in this set. What I see? Iconic T-Rex...brick built T-Rex with great shape and even movable. Iconic JP gate. Finally not some down-scaled version of gate. I could live without those scene-vignettes in the back of the gate, but I take them as some kind of homage to the original Jurassic Park film. They are not meant to play with them. They are just there to remind us the original Jurassic Park film, full of mystery, adventure and fun. This set should be displayed on shelf, it´s not targeted on kids, I really don´t get all that disappointment (or even "frustration"...come on!). As i said above, I would be more happier, if they included Ford Explorer and the minifigs/display stand had more accurate JP logos on them, but I really like this set.

I don't know, maybe it's just something subjective, but I think the sets always need a "purpose" to exist from the point of view of minifigures. This doesn't mean I want realistic set, but something like the Death Star or Bespin are good examples. These kind of sets (in a subtheme where we don't have "typical" toys) should be a toy, not a big display model like a Star Wars fighter or a car.

But the set isn't bad tho. The gate and the T-Rex are really good builds, that's why I don't think the designer did anything wrong. On the other hand, I understand and agree with the criticism. Jurassic Park is a very important movie for a couple of generations, something as important as Star Wars.

Most of the people here like Lego because it's a toy, and the fact that we probably won't have more "toy sets" except the control room, has triggered a lot of fans.

9 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Ok that Brickset article is something I can't agree with.

Negative comments are also feedback, whether you like it or not. Ignore them or try to shut them down is about the worst thing you can do in a case like this. If the reactions are mostly negative something is happening, and you cant just look away from the issue. Look at what just happened with the Sonic trailer.

But... the community is also in fault here. Why is there dissapointment about the set not being the visitor center? TLG never said it was going to be the visitor center. Someone else did. A "leaker". And why did they make up something like that? Well, because people believe it. Because there is a public for their lies. Everytime an unfounded rumor appears, there are several replies talking about it. Does that mean we cant discuss rumors? No. But I think it does mean we have to remember it is us who decided to believe them in first place. So, if the rumor turns out to be fake and we are disspointed it no elses fault but ours. 

My 2 cents on the matter.

Why do I have the feeling of the "subverted expectations" from The Last Jedi/Diablo Immortal/Game of Thrones all over again? :laugh:

The problem appears when the final product isn't better than the rumours and the speculation, but I think it's wrong to blame the rumours and the speculation. With that logic, then we should always expect the worse so everything will be awesome.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem with criticism, also no problem with people telling they're disappointed because they hoped for something else. But in some places, amongst which Brickset (and that's what that article is also about), the discussion went where a decent discussion should not go: insulting people that don't agree with you, in some cases in a very nasty way.

About the set: at 250 euro, it's a set that should appeal most to fans, as someone that just is fond of dinosaurs would think 250 euro to be very expensive. Apparently, for some vocal fans this doesn't tick the box. As these kind of big sets don't come along often, I can certainly relate to disappointment if it then does not meet your expectations. Personally, I think the designers did a great job (great dino, gate interesting way to showcase some key scenes of the movie), but Lego might have missed the point as to what the fans would have liked most. In the end, sales figures will tell if Lego has made the right choice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Robert8 said:

 

But... the community is also in fault here. Why is there dissapointment about the set not being the visitor center? TLG never said it was going to be the visitor center. Someone else did. A "leaker". And why did they make up something like that? Well, because people believe it.

3

Probably also because there was a pretty good chance it would be - a major setting in JP and the Ideas one had a gate and vehicle, so a good chance that LEGO would not repeat / copy that. And if there was a good chance of it happening, it is a good bet to be proved right about something and then using that to imply that the leaker was somehow a reliable source. It is a bit like suggesting that they were going to do a Knight Bus in the HP range.

 

15 hours ago, hachiroku said:

JP cars are really important, I mean, there even conventions about people who modified Jeeps and Explorers to look like in the movie.

 

 

14 hours ago, hachiroku said:

I think what failed here is understanding why the people loved the movie and why some stuff from the movie is iconic. What made the dinosaurs great are not the dinosaurs themselves, but how the characters reacted to them, and that interactions involves everyhting: What's happening, where, how, why.

And I think all of this should be adapted to Lego sets. You have the characters, you have a part of the gate and a dinosaur. But these things by themselves are not iconic. They become iconic when everything is working together. The Ford Explorer is iconic when it has two kids inside and a T-rex is about to eat them, or when the main characters are inside a room trying to lock the door because there is a raptor outside (I think this is a better known example xd). I don't know, I don't see that storytelling in this set.

 

Why do people modify their jeeps to look like in the movie? They are not iconic - they cannot be based on the second statement.  They are only iconic when combined with other aspects - that there are kids inside and a T-Rex is about to eat them.

Or, maybe, people want a vehicle to look like something out of the movie and it is iconic by itself without the story telling. If you know the story, you recognise it and don't need the dinosaur or frightened kids to tell you the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MAB said:

Why do people modify their jeeps to look like in the movie? They are not iconic - they cannot be based on the second statement.  They are only iconic when combined with other aspects - that there are kids inside and a T-Rex is about to eat them.

Or, maybe, people want a vehicle to look like something out of the movie and it is iconic by itself without the story telling. If you know the story, you recognise it and don't need the dinosaur or frightened kids to tell you the story.

It's not the same to modify/paint/buy a car than selling a 250€ display set. People who do the first are very specific people that want to recreate the car in real life.

The scenes are iconic, not the cars. If the cars were from Jurassic World, nobody would care about them (in other words, we won't skip or complain about a set if the don't include one of them). Selling the cars without minifigures (but this is something literally impossible to happen) or even in a scale that doesn't work with minifigures would be a fail, because people want to have the same feelings they do watching the movie, and that includes the story telling.

Just imagine an UCS Millennium Falcon cockpit set, with small scenes inside them recreating scenes from Episode IV, and this set being sold without the chance of having a "proper" Millennium Falcon where you can put Han and Chewie in the cockpit and Luke training with Obi Wan in the living room.

Edited by hachiroku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hachiroku said:

It's not the same to modify/paint/buy a car than selling a 250€ display set. People who do the first are very specific people that want to recreate the car in real life.

The scenes are iconic, not the cars. If the cars were from Jurassic World, nobody would care about them (in other words, we won't skip or complain about a set if the don't include one of them). Selling the cars without minifigures (but this is something literally impossible to happen) or even in a scale that doesn't work with minifigures would be a fail, because people want to have the same feelings they do watching the movie, and that includes the story telling.

Just imagine an UCS Millennium Falcon cockpit set, with small scenes inside them recreating scenes from Episode IV, and this set being sold without the chance of having a "proper" Millennium Falcon where you can put Han and Chewie in the cockpit and Luke training with Obi Wan in the living room.

The cars are iconic...

the gates are iconic

rexy is iconic 

Comparing one big spaceship is very different to different parts of a movie. People can have just the car if they want to. All I want is the gates and a car, I’m honestly not fussed about the characters, and I don’t even need the gates and car together

Saying that if the cars were from Jurassic World they wouldn’t be iconic..well...yes, obviously. Jurassic World is a different and less iconic movie.

its not just about scenes and storytelling. A lot of people just collect Star Wars vehicles, not the minifigures. I sold all the minifigures from the UCS Falcon cause I just wanted the vehicle, that’s the iconic part to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If the car is such a big deal, it's still LEGO , and just because something is missing, doesn't mean building your own is not an option.

(yes that requires parts/money but the price of the set would be higher also with a car included, especially if it was meant to fit 4 figs enclosed like the Ford Explorer.

In this day and age, you don't even have to have the bricks and can design things digitally first.

I can find multiple LEGO JP Ford Explorers of various scales (6/8/10 wide) with a search.

Now this does not mean I am attacking people who talk about the car here, it's a valid point to desire an official model, and both jeep and ford are definately part of JP1, but so are plenty of other scenes/buildings that haven't made it into sets.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many awesome sets. And this one can go on the when-i’ll-be-rich list as well. That t-rex is really huge as is the entrance. I don’t know about the small builds in the back. They seem not necessary at all. Just like the minifigs. Nice to get them, but more as a bonus. The T-Rex and entrance are the stars of the show. 

Also good to see that the TRex is brickbuild for once. Must be a nice experience to build it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of vehicles its missing the AW109, its iconic and the set is incomplete without it. They never would have gotten to or from the island in a cinematic fashion without it and you know the wealthy insane old guy isn't taking no boats like the rest of his employees. :drunk:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hachiroku said:

It's not the same to modify/paint/buy a car than selling a 250€ display set. People who do the first are very specific people that want to recreate the car in real life.

 

 

And people that buy this set are people that want to display what appears to be a really nicely designed and very large detailed brick built dinosaur, along with the gates to Jurassic Park and the characters from that movie. They could have done a much smaller set, essentially a character pack, with small vignettes and some people would still have thought them iconic enough characters to buy and display them.

It is like all LEGO sets. If it is not quite what you want, modify it so that it is what you want. At least here they are doing the minifigures. If they did a jeep, then chances are it would have been stickered for decoration, so printing your own will be little different to what an official one would have been. Whereas if they hadn't done minifigures, making them look LEGO-like would have been much harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

If the car is such a big deal, it's still LEGO , and just because something is missing, doesn't mean building your own is not an option.

(yes that requires parts/money but the price of the set would be higher also with a car included, especially if it was meant to fit 4 figs enclosed like the Ford Explorer.

In this day and age, you don't even have to have the bricks and can design things digitally first.

I can find multiple LEGO JP Ford Explorers of various scales (6/8/10 wide) with a search.

It would be at least 14 wide to fit the tire tracks of the gate. It would be too big for the minifigs. But the problem ist not the vehicle, but the painting. A JP car would obviously rely heavily on stickers or prints, something you cannot easily "build" yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, incognito said:

It would be at least 14 wide to fit the tire tracks of the gate. It would be too big for the minifigs. But the problem ist not the vehicle, but the painting. A JP car would obviously rely heavily on stickers or prints, something you cannot easily "build" yourself.

You could move the bricks / plates around on the base and make the tyre tracks closer together if you wanted a smaller jeep. I don't think home made stickers would be that hard. You can download the JP logo and the stripes are easy enough to sketch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 11:15 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Here's an interesting commentary piece from Brickset's site founder @Huw Millington on the reception to this set:

Brickset - Why the Negativity?

Very interesting article and very sad but true checklist.

Regarding the so-called "negativity", I think it would be important to distinguish between unacceptable pathological hate behaviours, often connected to the internet 2.0 (or whatever is the current "version" of it) and constructive criticisims, which should always be welcomed by TLC, because they come from a very long-time appreciation towards the brand.

From my point of view a relevant part of afols' negative judgements originates from what we are used to admire on a daily basis from master builders' flickrs, the bar has been raised too high due/thanks to them, so it is extremely difficult for Lego to match up the current level of complexity of many mocs keeping, at the same time, a reasonable price, which in any case would be (or perceived to be) too high for many potential buyers.

We are living a golden age of ease of information access, but against this illusory democratization the social inequalities have never been so strong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, hachiroku said:

The problem appears when the final product isn't better than the rumours and the speculation, but I think it's wrong to blame the rumours and the speculation. With that logic, then we should always expect the worse so everything will be awesome.

 

But the rumor & speculation is to blame, not the set. Using Modulars as an example. I remember a lot of people cooking up some crazy ideas for what Assembly Square should look like. Then it didn’t meet expectations. Repeat for pretty much every Modular. If people let rumors run wild & it ruins the reveal, that’s not the set’s fault. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vindicare said:

But the rumor & speculation is to blame, not the set. Using Modulars as an example. I remember a lot of people cooking up some crazy ideas for what Assembly Square should look like. Then it didn’t meet expectations. Repeat for pretty much every Modular. If people let rumors run wild & it ruins the reveal, that’s not the set’s fault. 

I disagree. Just because Lego makes a set, it doesn’t make it immune from criticism. Lego can and has made poor decisions in their set designs. Personally, I didn’t care for Assembly Square, although I do like and have purchased other modulars.  In some cases it is the set not the rumor or speculation. The designer did a great job giving us an oversized Dino and gate. Not my cup of tea, so I will have to pass (although I am a huge JP fan) And no, I didn’t cook up any crazy ideas, just don’t like some of the final products and have to be careful of how I spend my $$$. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BitByBrick said:

I disagree. Just because Lego makes a set, it doesn’t make it immune from criticism. Lego can and has made poor decisions in their set designs. Personally, I didn’t care for Assembly Square, although I do like and have purchased other modulars.  In some cases it is the set not the rumor or speculation. The designer did a great job giving us an oversized Dino and gate. Not my cup of tea, so I will have to pass (although I am a huge JP fan) And no, I didn’t cook up any crazy ideas, just don’t like some of the final products and have to be careful of how I spend my $$$. 

Criticism is fine, but being upset that a set isn’t what you dreamed it up to be in your mind due to a rumor isn’t anyone’s, or anything’s, fault but the person. It’s never the set’s fault that expectations are set too high or too wild based on a rumor or set name, that falls to us. Because with every set, there will always be people who like, love, dislike, & hate it. That’s what a fan community is about. 

Speculating is fun, I enjoyed the drawings of AS that people shared, and all the other ideas that people want a particular set to be. I’m not against any of that, people just shouldn’t use that against the actual set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2019 at 6:18 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

This is the article that I read that pissed me off, ohh great minds think a like, I call bull on that statement, LEGO as a company who has rights to the franchise will not pay a LEGO ideas creator because they thought about it, same thing happened with the ghostbusters fire house and a couple of more LEGO sets, they only produce sets that have no bearing or sets they would never think of making money off, like dinosaur bones, lolol, it’s a joke in my opinion and makes me feel extremely bad for the talent wasted on even getting 10,000 votes in the first place which is hard, how much you want to bet the Pirate Bay hang out will get released as a regular pirates set than as LEGO ideas??

 

for the same amount of LEGO pieces they managed to squeeze a car, and more figures, the gates with embedded sets from the movie feels off imho

On 6/14/2019 at 4:24 AM, MAB said:

Probably also because there was a pretty good chance it would be - a major setting in JP and the Ideas one had a gate and vehicle, so a good chance that LEGO would not repeat / copy that. And if there was a good chance of it happening, it is a good bet to be proved right about something and then using that to imply that the leaker was somehow a reliable source. It is a bit like suggesting that they were going to do a Knight Bus in the HP range.

 

 

Why do people modify their jeeps to look like in the movie? They are not iconic - they cannot be based on the second statement.  They are only iconic when combined with other aspects - that there are kids inside and a T-Rex is about to eat them.

Or, maybe, people want a vehicle to look like something out of the movie and it is iconic by itself without the story telling. If you know the story, you recognise it and don't need the dinosaur or frightened kids to tell you the story.

Dude I have seen five jeeps where I live like the original Jurassic park Jeep, I only have seen one Jurassic world Jeep with grey and blue markings, there’s a big following in my city, I can attest to that, I must have watched Jurassic park 125+ Times in one summer alone, the explorer is rare I only seen one, heck speaking of which there’s an exhibit in my city featuring a recreation of the trex breakout with the Explorer at the celebrity fan fest this weekend

Edited by eldiano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eldiano said:

This is the article that I read that pissed me off, ohh great minds think a like, I call bull on that statement, LEGO as a company who has rights to the franchise will not pay a LEGO ideas creator because they thought about it, same thing happened with the ghostbusters fire house and a couple of more LEGO sets, they only produce sets that have no bearing or sets they would never think of making money off, like dinosaur bones, lolol, it’s a joke in my opinion and makes me feel extremely bad for the talent wasted on even getting 10,000 votes in the first place which is hard, how much you want to bet the Pirate Bay hang out will get released as a regular pirates set than as LEGO ideas??

I really don't see any similarity between the Ideas project and this D2C set. The building technique and the design of the gate are totally different, even conceptually, and the minifigures are different (D2C has "battle damage" Ian Malcolm and the project had a regular Ian Malcolm for example).

Yes, both have a brick built T-Rex too, but the one from the project was a T-Rex in the same scale of the mold one while the D2C has "the biggest Lego dinosaur ever made" and that's one of the main selling features of the set.

I don't know, the Ideas project is old enough to exist before the D2C set, but on the other hand, the Ideas project doesn't come to my mind when I'm looking at the D2C set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, hachiroku said:

I really don't see any similarity between the Ideas project and this D2C set.

(snip)

...while the D2C has "the biggest Lego dinosaur ever made" and that's one of the main selling features of the set.

I agree, and will add that the D2C dino is posable while the one from Ideas is static - completely different builds.

I wouldn't mind more regular JP sets though (as opposed to JW sets).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.