Ecclesiastes

[PRESS RELEASE] 75936 - Jurassic Park

On 6/17/2019 at 3:23 AM, astral brick said:

Excusatio non petita accusatio manifesta?

EXACTLY!!!  for obvious reasons

21 minutes ago, Rune Haako said:

Has anyone else in the US ordered it yet? I'm a VIP and it won't let me.

Ordered mine about three hours ago with express delivery, I'm in Germany though - it wasn't available until 10 am for me

I could see them revisiting Jurassic Park with a Visitors Center once the next movie comes out. In the meantime, I like this set well enough. I’m just happy to see another Jurassic Park set after the last one. I can’t help but feel that if we had no idea this set was coming before it was announced (like Lego plans), then there would have been a warmer reaction. Oh well.

After watching just2good's review I think this might be back in the "pass" column for me.  The Rex face just doesn't look very good.  He doesn't look menacing at all.  If anything he's a little derpy.  It's a shame because the original grey model that they started with looked appropriately scary.

19 hours ago, hachiroku said:

Lol, I wonder when they did this interview. This is almost the exact same phrase I said about people asking for a car in a bigger scale :laugh:

I'm glad to see we think the same about the cars (but I actually thought the gate was in minifig scale).

I don't think they need the manufacturers licenses to make the cars. I spoke with one of the designers from the Jurassic World game and he told me they did the cars with enough changes to avoid copyright problems.

For example, the Jeep has the front grill horizontal instead of vertical:

For a minifig-scale vehicle targeted at kids, they can indeed avoid licensing by specifically avoiding replicating the real-world vehicles, as it mentions in the Brothers Brick article. But if people are complaining about the colors on the T-Rex in this set, can you imagine the complaints if this adult-targeted set featured a totally inauthentic version of the vehicle? Especially if it were larger and more detailed than minifig-scale, making inaccuracies more obvious?

As for the licensing for the vehicles, like Mark Stafford said, every license is different. Licensors' terms and demands can vary wildly depending on all sorts of factors, and they always have the power to just say "no", or to push for a higher licensing fee. In Ford's case, Speed Champions usually revolves around newer or more iconic car models than a 1990s era Explorer—they might not see as much benefit to licensing the likeness of their vehicle than, say, Delorean did (since DMC is not actively making or promoting newer models of Delorean).

Are VIP early releases available in store? Or only online? There's a LEGO store not far from where I work, I'll pick it up there after if so.

17 minutes ago, arc said:

Are VIP early releases available in store? Or only online? There's a LEGO store not far from where I work, I'll pick it up there after if so.

In stores and online 

9 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

In stores and online 

Sweet. I'll be making a trip ?

I caved and ordered mine just now. I still have little interest in that buildable T-Rex, but the gates and minifigs are top notch IMO. I'll definitely be adding to it to create a nice Jurassic Park scene incorporating some other dinos.

57 minutes ago, Hell_Hawk_33 said:

I caved and ordered mine just now. I still have little interest in that buildable T-Rex, but the gates and minifigs are top notch IMO. I'll definitely be adding to it to create a nice Jurassic Park scene incorporating some other dinos.

Wow!  I could have wrote the exact same message!    Who was I kidding saying I was gonna pass on a Jurassic Park set??

1 hour ago, Mat099 said:

Wow!  I could have wrote the exact same message!    Who was I kidding saying I was gonna pass on a Jurassic Park set??

Haha, even though I totally adore both builds, I would've probably still bought the set day one even if it was only the figures and a UCS build of the "one big pile of s***"  :roflmao:

15 hours ago, Lyichir said:

For a minifig-scale vehicle targeted at kids, they can indeed avoid licensing by specifically avoiding replicating the real-world vehicles, as it mentions in the Brothers Brick article. But if people are complaining about the colors on the T-Rex in this set, can you imagine the complaints if this adult-targeted set featured a totally inauthentic version of the vehicle? Especially if it were larger and more detailed than minifig-scale, making inaccuracies more obvious?

As for the licensing for the vehicles, like Mark Stafford said, every license is different. Licensors' terms and demands can vary wildly depending on all sorts of factors, and they always have the power to just say "no", or to push for a higher licensing fee. In Ford's case, Speed Champions usually revolves around newer or more iconic car models than a 1990s era Explorer—they might not see as much benefit to licensing the likeness of their vehicle than, say, Delorean did (since DMC is not actively making or promoting newer models of Delorean).

But as far as I understand how licenses work, they only need the license for the colours and decals, since that's what exclusive from the movie.

I think the Explorer and the Wrangler are very generic cars and you can do them without being exactly an Explorer and a Wrangler. I mean, you can find a lot of cars that, in minifig scale, would look exactly the same as the Explorer (4-door Chevrolet Blazer, Toyota Land Cruiser, Isuzu Trooper...). For the Jeep is harder to find similar cars, but there are, like the Toyota Fj40. Even Mark Stafford says he doesn't fully understand how licenses work, so probably everything we're saying here is just a lot of nonsense.

If I were him, I'd have included the book version of the Explorer just to trigger fans.

Another good answer from the designer in the brothers brick review comment section:

Marc: Genero was in the set for a while, but was cut. I’m not entirely sure why. I kept the toilet as it’s so iconic and is also where Malcolm was injured. Plus if we ever do him in the future he has somewhere to sit. I figure if anyone asks tell them big rexy has already eaten him.

hammond’s cane should be tan -> Frankie Normal: Yes it should. But I used up all my colour changes on the dinosaur and gate.

Purple Dave: MCC = Model Competency Centre, They are there as ‘model coaches’ for the designers to make sure the quality of model is that which LEGO sets deserve to be. They are also there to check any build you present them with to see if we are stressing the elements (“illegal builds” as we often refer to them). They help a lot.

People are complaining about Rexy’s colours? I think this is the most accurate Rexy so far. The Fallen kingdom was to bright, Jurassic World too Orange, and 2019 too dark and grey.

this one is perfect. Give us the moulded one in these colours and it would be perfect

I was never a JP fan when I was younger; it was always my sister who would watch the films with my mum and who was in to dinosaurs generally. And although I have seen the latest films I still wouldn't describe myself as a fan of either JP, JW or dinosaurs, but I am still desperately trying not to hit that buy button! I can't quite even fathom why, but the T-Rex just seems cool to me. 

22 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

I was never a JP fan when I was younger; it was always my sister who would watch the films with my mum and who was in to dinosaurs generally. And although I have seen the latest films I still wouldn't describe myself as a fan of either JP, JW or dinosaurs, but I am still desperately trying not to hit that buy button! I can't quite even fathom why, but the T-Rex just seems cool to me. 

I feel that. Never bought a Ninjago set in my life. But one day I saw Ninjago city in store and just had to buy it, looked so cool. Had no interest in the lore or movie, don’t even like the sequel set much, but damn that’s my favourite set ever.

39 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

I feel that. Never bought a Ninjago set in my life. But one day I saw Ninjago city in store and just had to buy it, looked so cool. Had no interest in the lore or movie, don’t even like the sequel set much, but damn that’s my favourite set ever.

I think that set has spoken to a lot of Lego lovers outside of just Ninjago fans because it is such an imaginative concept. That's one of the sets I had to fight hard not to buy too, a bit like Apocalypseburg. I think I'm lucky that I don't live anywhere near a Lego store, because on one hand whilst I miss out on seeing these great models on display I can't impulse buy!

The thing about this set though it that it isn't a really imaginative concept when it comes down to it; a brick built dinosaur and a gate. And yet something (maybe it's just the thought of such a decent, lengthy build) captures my attention. Even if the T-Rex's expression is definitely a little dorky compared to the original Creator designer's model or the original Ideas submission. ?

Edited by BacktoBricks

After finishing the T-rex last night, it has occurred to me that it's just about in perfect scale with 10265 Ford Mustang. Do with that information what you will. I have a few ideas. :devil:

So after seeing a few reviews I think the designer did a wonderful job of designing this set.  That said the oversized nature of it does not really appeal to me.  After reading many comments I think the general opinion is that for people who had no previous Jurassic Park / World sets this set is an amazing display piece.  For those of us that already had several Jurassic Park / World sets this was a major let down because is is not compatible with and complementary to the existing general release sets we are already invested in.

See I think this is the magic formula of wide popularity that Ninjago City successfully hit.  That set is both a terrific stand alone display piece AND it is compatible with and complementary to the general release sets.  Welcome to Apocalypseburg managed to do that too.  Same with the Ghostbusters Firehouse (compatible with City/Modular) and the Monster Fighters Haunted House.

Contrast that with the decidedly mixed reception the micro-scale Hogwarts Castle received.  Despite being very well designed it is not compatible with or complimentary to the general release sets.  That "problem" has largely been mitigated since we have gotten more of the castle in Mini-Fig compatible general release sets.  But at the time of release we didn't know if there would be another wave of sets with more of the castle.

At this point I would guess it is unlikely Jurassic Park / World is going to get another Direct 2 Consumer large scale set so I am rather bummed by the decision to make something that is not compatible with and complimentary to the general release sets.  This was likely the only chance we had at a Mini-fig compatible size "Brontosaurus".

I will have to mess around with the part inventory for the oversized T-Rex in Stud.io and see if I can come up with a decent looking sauropod.  I might be convinced to buy the set anyway if that works well.  The beauty of the brick.  :wink:

Anyone notice that it's similar to the Blu-Ray Collectors edition statue.

IMG_3395 (2).jpg

Edited by Brickus
Tried to upload a good picture

On 6/23/2019 at 4:57 AM, Lord Insanity said:

So after seeing a few reviews I think the designer did a wonderful job of designing this set.  That said the oversized nature of it does not really appeal to me.  After reading many comments I think the general opinion is that for people who had no previous Jurassic Park / World sets this set is an amazing display piece.  For those of us that already had several Jurassic Park / World sets this was a major let down because is is not compatible with and complementary to the existing general release sets we are already invested in.

See I think this is the magic formula of wide popularity that Ninjago City successfully hit.  That set is both a terrific stand alone display piece AND it is compatible with and complementary to the general release sets.  Welcome to Apocalypseburg managed to do that too.  Same with the Ghostbusters Firehouse (compatible with City/Modular) and the Monster Fighters Haunted House.

Contrast that with the decidedly mixed reception the micro-scale Hogwarts Castle received.  Despite being very well designed it is not compatible with or complimentary to the general release sets.  That "problem" has largely been mitigated since we have gotten more of the castle in Mini-Fig compatible general release sets.  But at the time of release we didn't know if there would be another wave of sets with more of the castle.

At this point I would guess it is unlikely Jurassic Park / World is going to get another Direct 2 Consumer large scale set so I am rather bummed by the decision to make something that is not compatible with and complimentary to the general release sets.  This was likely the only chance we had at a Mini-fig compatible size "Brontosaurus".

I will have to mess around with the part inventory for the oversized T-Rex in Stud.io and see if I can come up with a decent looking sauropod.  I might be convinced to buy the set anyway if that works well.  The beauty of the brick.  :wink:

The incompatibility within just the set in its own that confuses me. The minifigures and gates are amazing to add to any Jurassic display, but then that could of been a £100 set...so I’m just getting an oversized T-Rex in there for an extra £120. Swap the T-Rex for a regular Rexy (but with an accurate colour scheme) and the two different vehicles and boom, you not only have my interest, you have my money day one

1 hour ago, Whovastron said:

iqh7hd9q9j631.jpg

Credit to U/Puresh1 on Reddit, definitely  minifigure scale 

But aren't the tyre tracks 2 blazers wide?