Ecclesiastes

[PRESS RELEASE] 75936 - Jurassic Park

I don't like that they didn't include a hairpiece for Hammond when we mostly see him not wearing the hat in the movie.

I see where some of you are coming from, but I certainly agree that there's more actual negativity about it than there should be.  No problem critiquing and giving an opinion, but some of the comments border on mean.  I think Nabii did a great job with the design, given what TLG's market data and design team decided they were going for.  I think part of the cool reception - I know this is true for me - is that at first glance it looks like a much smaller set than it is and doesn't seem worth the $250 USD price.  The relative size of the tire tracks going through the gate also contribute to that as others have noted.  But I think it's still a great design, and when you see someone interacting with it (like in the video) it's obvious how massive it is and suddenly the price and piece count makes more sense.

I share the feeling that there should have been an Explorer or Jeep as well, but I see why it wasn't included here.  This is definitely more along the lines of the Star Wars D2Cs that have a completely out-of-scale main build and then some iconic minifigs that are basically garnish, and for that kind of design I appreciate the little vignettes inside the gate and even the toilet there is really cute when looking at it as an homage display piece.

If I had my way, I'd have liked the T-Rex with a JP Explorer and a few other small builds to go with it (chained up goat, outhouse/toilet, a few bits of jungle) and the appropriate characters, and then another set that was the main gates, JP Jeep, and a brachiosaurus.  I think those combinations would have had both display as well as play/story value.  I also agree with it being odd that people had it in their heads to expect a visitors center.  I just don't see that being pulled off in a satisfactory way (unless it was a midi/micro scale build kinda like the current 71043 Hogwarts Castle) at any kind of reasonable price.

I do wish the dinosaur was available as a large standalone Creator set - that'd I'd pick up in a heartbeat.  Not sure about this, but my mind might change after seeing it in-person.

Went into that review with an open mind. I think I can definitely pass on that Rexy. I’ll either buy the set and sell it, or I’ll buy the gates and figs separately 

On 6/15/2019 at 12:39 PM, eldiano said:

This is the article that I read that pissed me off, ohh great minds think a like, I call bull on that statement, LEGO as a company who has rights to the franchise will not pay a LEGO ideas creator because they thought about it, same thing happened with the ghostbusters fire house and a couple of more LEGO sets, they only produce sets that have no bearing or sets they would never think of making money off, like dinosaur bones, lolol, it’s a joke in my opinion and makes me feel extremely bad for the talent wasted on even getting 10,000 votes in the first place which is hard, how much you want to bet the Pirate Bay hang out will get released as a regular pirates set than as LEGO ideas??

for the same amount of LEGO pieces they managed to squeeze a car, and more figures, the gates with embedded sets from the movie feels off imho

Dude I have seen five jeeps where I live like the original Jurassic park Jeep, I only have seen one Jurassic world Jeep with grey and blue markings, there’s a big following in my city, I can attest to that, I must have watched Jurassic park 125+ Times in one summer alone, the explorer is rare I only seen one, heck speaking of which there’s an exhibit in my city featuring a recreation of the trex breakout with the Explorer at the celebrity fan fest this weekend

This is the kind of toxic negativity that Brickset topic was made about, and that we need to get serious about cutting down on in the AFOL community.

You are basically calling the designer of this set a liar. On a site he is a part of, no less! In a topic he has recently contributed to! And heck, you go above and beyond by also insulting the Lego Ideas projects that DID get selected just to have some flimsy justification for an increasingly illogical conspiracy theory. It's one thing to say you don't like this set. It's another thing entirely to make false allegations about the designer and attack his integrity.

On 6/15/2019 at 12:57 PM, Vindicare said:

Criticism is fine, but being upset that a set isn’t what you dreamed it up to be in your mind due to a rumor isn’t anyone’s, or anything’s, fault but the person.

And if I had dreamed of a brick-built T-Rex that looked fierce, aggressive and had articulated legs to allow for some step posing, would it be my fault for being upset that what we got looked avian and tame, with no articulation in the legs? Where do you draw the line between criticism of execution and being upset that the set didn't feature something? To me they're one and the same, albeit on different levels.

Edited by Bartybum

I wonder what it would take to modify that T-Rex to make the ultimate dragon. A longer neck, wings, some more horns...

11 hours ago, Bartybum said:

And if I had dreamed of a brick-built T-Rex that looked fierce, aggressive and had articulated legs to allow for some step posing, would it be my fault for being upset that what we got looked avian and tame, with no articulation in the legs? Where do you draw the line between criticism of execution and being upset that the set didn't feature something? To me they're one and the same, albeit on different levels.

That was in relation to the complaints that it isn’t the Visitor Center, which is what a fair number of people had in mind. Which I think is where a lot of disappointment comes from.  

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

That was in relation to the complaints that it isn’t the Visitor Center, which is what a fair number of people had in mind. Which I think is where a lot of disappointment comes from.  

But again, why is it their fault for being upset that it didn’t have the visitor centre? From my point of view they had a wish that wasn’t met, and are now exercising criticism of what we got for not being what was wanted by many adults.

Honestly, if there was some guarantee that there will be more Jurassic Park sets in the future, I don't think the lack of a Visitor's Center or an Explorer would be an issue. But they've done so few sets for the movie and this last set crammed so many movie scenes into the back of the gate, making it feel like there might not be any more for the first movie.

The Brothers Brick - LEGO 75936 Jurassic Park: T-Rex Rampage, The Biggest LEGO Dino Ever [Review + Interview]

Mark Stafford“This is way over minifigure scale. There are minifigures with it, four of which are unique. But the scale of the gates and the dinosaur are way over the size of minifigures. And it’s one of the issues with doing a vehicle with this; the Jeep or the Ford Explorer or anything like that. The jeopardy of Jurassic is about the figures being in the vehicle, and that threat. But of course, the scale to work with the dinosaur is too big for the minifigures to work with the vehicle. So what do we do for the figures? And the number of scales was not working there. It just wouldn’t work.”

TBB“Was there any thought of what other elements to it to include with the set? I know you mentioned that you played around with the Jeep.”

Mark Stafford“We didn’t play around with it. We knew it wasn’t to scale for either dinosaur or the gate. So we didn’t–it was never included. We do have versions built at minifigure scale. But from what I understand–and I’m just a designer, so I’m not sure how accurate it is–but there is some complication between the licenses. We have a Jurassic World license, and then a Jeep license is a separate thing. And a Ford Explorer license is a separate thing. So we’re not sure. From what I understand, there are still legal things to be sorted out before we could do either of those as they were in the first movie. And I know from Jurassic World, I designed Owen’s truck, which in the movie was very obviously a particular brand. I was asked to make sure it didn’t look too much like that brand, even though it had to look like that truck. So, you know, as this is a love letter to the movie, it would feel wrong to do a generic vehicle instead of the specific vehicles that it should be. So no Jeep here.”

Seems like the designers were so set in their minds of doing that dinosaur and the gates, that they didn't give anything else a try, be it the cars or the visitor center. I feel they should have at least considered those options, rather than focusing their energies on what is quite a niche final product

2 minutes ago, Duncan Young said:

Seems like the designers were so set in their minds of doing that dinosaur and the gates, that they didn't give anything else a try, be it the cars or the visitor center. I feel they should have at least considered those options, rather than focusing their energies on what is quite a niche final product

Did you even read the quote of Mark Stafford? There were licensing problems with including either the Jeep or Ford Explorer, in addition to them not being scale to the gate / figures

They said that was the assumption, using JW as an example, not that was confirmed. You would think that due to the Speed Champions line they'd be able to use car brands. The BttF set had a Delorean after all.

I also mean that they could have scaled down the dinosaur in accordance with the car and in the service of it being minifigure scale. But they didn't, because they would have rather keep the T-Rex as is. 

Edited by Duncan Young

Er..have they not seen the movie? The gates are, if anything, too small. The gates in the movie are huge. Those gates are damn close to scale. The tire tracks are just way too big. I keep seeing people say they’re not to scale; first Just2Good now an actual designer, but they really are jurassic-park.jpg?ext=.jpg

I don’t get how anyone can look at this image and think the gates are too big... the gates are actually a teeny bit under minifig-scale, and then the T-Rex is way about minifig scale. There’s 3 scales in this set...

Edited by Whovastron

24 minutes ago, Duncan Young said:

In other words...

”you were so preoccupied with whether or not you could, you didn’t stop to think if you should”

I don't buy the whole licensing excuse. Lego licensed cars for the Speed Champions line, including multiple Ford vehicles, but they can't do a Ford Explorer? Why would that happen to be the one model they can't license?

As for scale, they even featured a minifigure scale version of the gate in the designer video (If I buy the set, I'll actually be using the pieces to build that smaller version of the gate). To me, it seems like they wanted to make a big T-rex (Since they had the basic design sitting on a shelf anyways), so they over-sized the gate to match.

I feel like they could have went with the smaller gates, an Explorer and a molded T-rex and it probably would have been $50-$100 less.

53 minutes ago, strangely said:

I feel like they could have went with the smaller gates, an Explorer and a molded T-rex and it probably would have been $50-$100 less.

If they did that (keeping the same unique minifigs), it would have been a day one purchase. Imagine the vignettes they could have also added and not hidden behind the gate... The sign that Nerdy runs into with the Jeep. An electric fence for the T-Rex. Etc. 

I still fear that this is the last hurrah for Lego’s venture into the ‘93 Jurassic Park movie. 

8 hours ago, strangely said:

I don't buy the whole licensing excuse. Lego licensed cars for the Speed Champions line, including multiple Ford vehicles, but they can't do a Ford Explorer? Why would that happen to be the one model they can't license?

As for scale, they even featured a minifigure scale version of the gate in the designer video (If I buy the set, I'll actually be using the pieces to build that smaller version of the gate). To me, it seems like they wanted to make a big T-rex (Since they had the basic design sitting on a shelf anyways), so they over-sized the gate to match.

That other gate in the video is way too small to be minifig scale in my opinion, just look how small the card look when they drove through it

i like the idea of rebuilding it using the pieces though, that might be what I do. That other one in the video has much better shaping

Edited by Whovastron

Mark Stafford 

Thanks guys – great article.

Felicia: You’re right! Despite the number of times I looked at that scene I hadn’t actually realised that – probably because we never had an actually vehicle!

SPIKE: The feet are grey for two reasons, first because the movie dinosaur is so boring in colour I went back to the original concept art (available in the original JP art portfolio) where the dino had a tan/white belly and grey legs. The license holder requested it return to closer to the movie dinosaur.
But second this couldn’t be done with the legs because too many of the parts are colour locked and the feet looked like a cyborg when too much dark tan was moved down there, Hence the grey legs – like a chicken or many other birds.

The interior scenes are because we have no idea when or if we will return to the first movie again, and many of these scenes wouldn’t make good kids toys either, so let’s try to pay it as much respect in this set as we can. I hope we can return one day (For Genero, Wu and my favourite Muldoon) but if not at least we have these scenes.

The Jurassic license is not the Speed Champions license or the James Bond license. I don’t know what the issues are, I am not a lawyer, but apparently there are some.

Oh, and the Stranger Things set is awesome, I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for buying LEGO even if this particular set isn’t for you.

Good commentary under the brothers brick review from the designer. I really appreaciate the personal communication which illuminates specific design reasons for this set (e.g. no vehicle, vignettes in the back etc.).

Edited by cookiemonster

6 minutes ago, cookiemonster said:

Good commentary under the brothers brick review from the designer. I really appreaciate the personal communication which illuminates specifiy design reasons for this set understandable (e.g. no vehicle, vignettes in the back etc.).

The definitely seem to be being very open with this release

22 hours ago, Whovastron said:

Er..have they not seen the movie? The gates are, if anything, too small. The gates in the movie are huge. Those gates are damn close to scale. The tire tracks are just way too big. I keep seeing people say they’re not to scale; first Just2Good now an actual designer, but they really are jurassic-park.jpg?ext=.jpg

I don’t get how anyone can look at this image and think the gates are too big... the gates are actually a teeny bit under minifig-scale, and then the T-Rex is way about minifig scale. There’s 3 scales in this set...

God I love that image :grin_wub:   And I agree with what you said.  The tire tracks are just way too big.  I'm going to see if I can get one of the Lego store employees to pick one up for me.  I'll happily pay half off for it, but definitely not retail without the damn Ford Explorer haha.

Edited by Calvinw

19 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

And it’s one of the issues with doing a vehicle with this; the Jeep or the Ford Explorer or anything like that. The jeopardy of Jurassic is about the figures being in the vehicle, and that threat.

Lol, I wonder when they did this interview. This is almost the exact same phrase I said about people asking for a car in a bigger scale :laugh:

I'm glad to see we think the same about the cars (but I actually thought the gate was in minifig scale).

19 hours ago, strangely said:

I don't think they need the manufacturers licenses to make the cars. I spoke with one of the designers from the Jurassic World game and he told me they did the cars with enough changes to avoid copyright problems.

For example, the Jeep has the front grill horizontal instead of vertical:

852.jpg

And the Pontiac from The Lost World had two cheese slopes in the front but that was too similar to an original Pontiac GTO, so they had to remove it:

853.jpg

That original version of the car appears in yellow in the car transporter in the of the San Diego stage. It's not visible here, but I remember watching a gameplay that showed it.:

Edited by hachiroku