Sign in to follow this  
kelceycoe

Origin of Islanders Keychain Source Likely Found

As many of you are aware, especially in the United KIngdom, there have been many Lego Pirate Key chains, although almost always depicting Captain Roger / Red Beard:

But, not as well advertised, there was also an Islander key chain.

Brickset and Bricklink currently doesn't know the year it became available we know it was available with a photo in the pre-April (Maybe January?) 1995 US Shop at Home Catalog and listed as NEW in the US Shop at Home 1995 Holiday Catalog.

Interesting to note, especially in the pre-April 1995 one listed above, you could still buy Pirate sets from 1989!

Update! I found an even earlier mention but in the UK Bricks N Pieces, Summer 1994 issue!

Edited by kelceycoe

I've only seen photos of the other key chains but I think I've got of couple of these 852544 - LEGO Pirate Captain Keychains somewhere...

2009 - 852544 - LEGO Pirate Captain Keychain.jpg

I bought and imported the 1989/1990 UK Captain Roger Keyring and I own one of the US versions of Captain Red Beard key chain. Plus Majesto the Wizard and a few others.

I have the Blue Pirate keychain, but I'd love to get the Imperial Soldier or the Pirate with Brown Shirt keychains.

TC

On 6/9/2019 at 12:13 AM, kelceycoe said:

I bought and imported the 1989/1990 UK Captain Roger Keyring and I own one of the US versions of Captain Red Beard key chain.

Besides, the name?  Is there any difference between the two?

3983 - LEGO Pirate Captain Keychain.png

44 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Besides, the name?  Is there any difference between the two?

3983 - LEGO Pirate Captain Keychain.png

Yes. The UK one from the 1990s has a black key ring on it and thus is called a Key Ring.

The one you posted is just the Key Chain and came much later here in the U.S., I think 1994.

As for differences in Captain's appearances you tell me: (save these I wont keep them here for long)

(hat print is all i see)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q7034qfwhw8xpve/20190609_190610.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvytyn8r6bzbb0w/20190609_190653.jpg?dl=0

3 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

Yes. The UK one from the 1990s has a black key ring on it and thus is called a Key Ring.

Key ring would imply just a ring without any chain or appendage, like this...

Key Ring.jpg

What's pictured below on the left is technically just a variation of a key chain...  albeit made of cheaper materials.  Although, "key ring" and "key chain" are often used interchangeably in some regions..

3 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

As for differences in Captain's appearances you tell me: (save these I wont keep them here for long)

LEGO Pirate Captain - Key ring + Key chain - Back.jpegLEGO Pirate Captain - Key ring + Key chain - Front.jpeg

It's cool to see them side by side like that. Could just be the picture, but it looks like the LEGO logos are slightly different too.

I thought I might buy one of these for my keys when I got my driver's license. In retrospect, maybe it's best that I didn't as these do NOT last long at all if you use them for their intended purpose as keychains; the figures become damaged very quickly. Still, I wish I had ordered one while they were available.

TC

11 hours ago, TalonCard said:

It's cool to see them side by side like that. Could just be the picture, but it looks like the LEGO logos are slightly different too.

I thought I might buy one of these for my keys when I got my driver's license. In retrospect, maybe it's best that I didn't as these do NOT last long at all if you use them for their intended purpose as keychains; the figures become damaged very quickly. Still, I wish I had ordered one while they were available.

TC

You are correct on both accounts. The LEGO logo varies - the left one (the UK one) is more pronounced.

Yes, having these as real keychains, this variant myself, they don't last long. The paint rubs off and the minifigure has been known to break apart. I believe most of these keychains are very cheap on Bricklink and worth buying a couple just to have.

The US one, on the right, looks a little worn so it tells me I may have used it.

Also... the beard on the UK figure is a darker shade of red while the US figure has a lighter shade to it.

Close, it's this one:
850301.t1.png

Got it at a LEGO fan convention many years ago. I also have the Brickbeard keychain.

TC