A new topic to attempt to centralize information, improvements and discussions about the most iconic Great Ball Contraption made by Kawaguchi Akiyuki,
GBC Ball Cleaning Machine

The thread is also a centralized location for all variations as well as newer design concepts of Ball cleaning machines. 

1%20Akiyuki%20GBC%20Ball%20Cleaning%20Ma

Edited by HRU_Bricks
Update main photo link

Introducing my own version of the Akiyuki Ball Cleaning Machine. Inspire by the original machine with updated parts, building techniques and control system. Hopefully this will make the build more accessible for a greater group of builders. 

Key points to date:

• Pneumo control system updated with newer valve with (at this stage) 4 channels and driven by the PF L-motor
  • 2x PF servo motors - ball cradle rotation and pick and place motion
  • Either 100% mechanical control with on/off function or controlled with Boost/Powered UP
  • Use 6L cylinders (cheaper and higher availability)
  • Control system Boost/Powered UP - controls the cycle of the machine based, including position encoder
  • New ball clamps - lighter and simpler

Quick Video: https://www.bricksafe.com/files/HRU_Bricks/gbc-ball-cleaning-machine-project/VID20190608230750.mp4 

IMG20190608230916.jpgIMG20190608230920.jpgIMG20190608230924.jpg

@HRU_Bricks Looks great!

I still have to start building a compressor. So far the ball cleaner project has been standing still for almost 2 months.

CFD0D740-6AE0-42EC-AA6C-A67071546A2C.jpe

Edited by Juroen

On 6/8/2019 at 4:35 PM, Juroen said:

@HRU_Bricks Looks great!

I still have to start building a compressor. So far the ball cleaner project has been standing still for almost 2 months.

CFD0D740-6AE0-42EC-AA6C-A67071546A2C.jpe

Thanks mate.  What are you using for air currently?  Even running 5 small cylinders uses heaps of air.  

Can you post some pics of the mechanics of the feeder mechanisms? I've got some ideas, but it would good to see what you've done

I only tested the functionality with a manual cylinder. I just ordered parts to build a Quanix based compressor. I will have to see if that works, otherwise I might be using a non-lego compressor. Probably some kind of airbrush type compressor.

Started to work on a combined Quanix-Akiyuki designed air compressor.

373C4398-F679-4D3C-9098-28E20A07F9C8.jpe

16 hours ago, Juroen said:

@Juroen, indeed I see the nice combination: the famous air compressor by Quanix in the frame of Akiyuki's Ball Cleaner :sweet:

Is your goal still to build an air compressor purely out of official Lego elements using as many PF motors, air cylinders and air tanks as needed to run the Ball Cleaner? I remember, being a Lego purist myself, that you really wish to avoid an external compressor. So far I only built one Quanix compressor which is fine for relatively smaller pneumatic modules.

As it seems you're applying a similar framework as for the Ball Cleaner, will the compressor be directly attachable to the Ball Cleaner itself (same length, same height)?

@Lego_GBC_NL You are right. My goal is to build a compressor only using official Lego parts, except from the hose.

Compressor will be the same height and length as  the ball cleaner and connected on the back side of the ball cleaner. My guess is that a single Quanix compressor will not suffice. Provisions for a double compressor are made.

On 7/13/2019 at 7:04 AM, Juroen said:

373C4398-F679-4D3C-9098-28E20A07F9C8.jpe

Nice start. Are you planning on adding a duplicate pump on the other side? 16 umps may be able to supply a small machine but not sure about the ball cleaner, the large cylinders use a lot of air.  4 Pumps could just keep up with the a small control box I built for the video I did 

Also I have worn out 2 pumps already. When running well they can pump up to 3.5 bar. After running them for a longer period putting out 2 Bar 2 began to make a "popping" sound which was the one way value wearing out. 

@Juroen I did make some changes to the ball lift including going back to a horizontal motor and 24T gear. It is running really well. As you mentioned in the other topic, there is a difference between the lift when you change direction. 

I didn't know Akiyuki shares photos of his builds, how do you get into contact with him also do you think you could share the pics? 

The next section I want to complete is the motor lift for the ball cleaning rotation (I'm sure I will modify it too :grin:

IMG20190715140151.jpgIMG20190715140334.jpgIMG20190715140318.jpg

Edited by HRU_Bricks

Progress: 

So far so good. One key for my build is to make each section modeler so that they can be built and then installed into the frame. Currently there is a bit of hose spaghetti connecting the modules to the valves which will get sorted out closer to the end of the build. The machines overall timing is controlled by the the 5 valves driven by one L motor.  The Boost hub will be used to turn the machine on and off to save power when there is a lower flow rate of balls through a GBC display. 

IMG20190715140101.jpg

@HRU_Bricks I have send Akiyuki an email with a picture of my progress and some questions. Up till now I have received 2 emails from him with some additional pictures.

Here’s a link to my bricksafe, I will add some pictures along the build.

https://bricksafe.com/pages/Juroen/building-tech

Building a Lego compressor is a big guess for me. I will see where this takes me. Could you share some pictures and information about the automatic shut-off switch when the compressor reaches the preset pressure? I’m planning to set mine to 2bar, the ball cleaner operates between 1,5 and 2,0 bar.

Do you have a video available of your ball cleaner module? It looks quite impressive already! 

Edited by Juroen

17 hours ago, Juroen said:

@HRU_Bricks I have send Akiyuki an email with a picture of my progress and some questions. Up till now I have received 2 emails from him with some additional pictures.

Here’s a link to my bricksafe, I will add some pictures along the build.

https://bricksafe.com/pages/Juroen/building-tech

Building a Lego compressor is a big guess for me. I will see where this takes me. Could you share some pictures and information about the automatic shut-off switch when the compressor reaches the preset pressure? I’m planning to set mine to 2bar, the ball cleaner operates between 1,5 and 2,0 bar.

Do you have a video available of your ball cleaner module? It looks quite impressive already! 

@Juroen Thanks for the link to your bricksafe page. This is the link to the latest build update video --> https://www.bricksafe.com/files/HRU_Bricks/gbc-ball-cleaning-machine-project/VID20190713203516.mp4

It needs a little bit of fine tuning but it is going well. The next section is the ball hopper box.

Have a look at the the Youtube video for the compressor, itgoes over the basics and the details are on my bricksafe page --> https://www.bricksafe.com/pages/HRU_Bricks/lego-technic-auto-start-air-compressor

Check out the build note PDF that should have what you need. There is rubber bands that turn the PF switch by pulling the lever which turns the motor on and when the pressure builds up there is a cylinder that turns the motor off. The pressure is controlled by the tension in the rubber bands. If you have any more questions let me know. You gauge and switch setup looks really good might have to use that idea on future builds.

Here is the basic pnumo circuit of the compressor, I use a ring main approach for the pipe work on the pump cylinders so there is not a pressure build up on any one pump: 

Pneumo%20Circuit%202.JPGIMG20190406200146.jpg

Edited by HRU_Bricks

Thanks @HRU_Bricks

Ok, I tried the 8 pumps compressor on the ball cleaner. Pressure drops really fast, I think a dual compressor doesn’t work either. I’m considering on buying an airbrush type compressor. :sceptic:

Edited by Juroen

On 7/16/2019 at 4:08 AM, Juroen said:

Thanks @HRU_Bricks

Ok, I tried the 8 pumps compressor on the ball cleaner. Pressure drops really fast, I think a dual compressor doesn’t work either. I’m considering on buying an airbrush type compressor. :sceptic:

It'll probably be far cheaper in the long run... I use scuba cylinders, and they end don't last as long as you may think

The main functions for the cleaning machine are complete! Some fine tuning to do but it is working really well. The machine is  running 100% mechanical at this stage. The next step is to build the lift for the ball cup  rotator and the cleaning clamp.

Video --> https://www.bricksafe.com/files/HRU_Bricks/gbc-ball-cleaning-machine-project/VID20190802211107.mp4

IMG20190802210951.jpg  

I was able to reduce weight on the design of the ball lift. I could swap out 12 pin connectors, 4 1/2pins and 2 axle pins with 4 3L pins. I also swapped 2 1x8 bricks with 2 2x8 plates. It makes a lot of difference, it runs a lot smoother.

@HRU_Bricks For the lift of the ball cup rotator and cleaning clamp you will need an extra pneumatic switch. I see you have changed the mounting of the m-motor for the ball lift, vertical in stead of horizontal?

@Juroen Correct I changed it to vertical instead of horizontal to slow it down some more and increase the lifting power, which it did nicely. I also managed to reduce the weight of the liter by using wall pieces on the back end which also made the difference.

There is indeed a valve. It is on the far left of the valve block and the pipe work runs up from the underneath the valve block in the center. The pipes are labeled 9 & 10. It was the most challenging part of the valves and timing because (as I interpreted the sequence) it has to be activated (lifting the motor and pressing down on the balls) for 3/4 of the time and then release for long enough for the turntable to rotate. The valve bank only has one central shaft it was an interesting build to say the least! 

Can you share some photos and close ups of the cup rotator area and the cleaning clamp? I have some ideas on a different way and to make it modular but it is a good place to start. 

IMG20190727222458.jpg

IMG20190802211004.jpg

The all important valve:

IMG20190616162700.jpg

Thanks @Juroen Interesting to see you using the bevel gears to drive the barrels. Was there a reason why you went that way? I was thinking of making the drive gear a bevel so it would mesh better

I noticed Akiyuki changed his original design to this, so I thought it would be the best solution. :classic:

9A26D195-AC59-4ACF-9689-9E13A7C95CAC.jpe

Finally, I have found the LEGO cloth. :classic:

Edited by Juroen

48 minutes ago, Juroen said:

9A26D195-AC59-4ACF-9689-9E13A7C95CAC.jpe

Finally, I have found the LEGO cloth. :classic:

Is there really a Lego cloth?? *oh2*

I thought he used a polishing cloth.  Is there a part number?