Posted (edited)

A new topic to attempt to centralize information, improvements and discussions about the most iconic Great Ball Contraption made by Kawaguchi Akiyuki,
GBC Ball Cleaning Machine

The thread is also a centralized location for all variations as well as newer design concepts of Ball cleaning machines. 

1%20Akiyuki%20GBC%20Ball%20Cleaning%20Ma

Edited by HRU_Bricks
Update main photo link

Introducing my own version of the Akiyuki Ball Cleaning Machine. Inspire by the original machine with updated parts, building techniques and control system. Hopefully this will make the build more accessible for a greater group of builders. 

Key points to date:

• Pneumo control system updated with newer valve with (at this stage) 4 channels and driven by the PF L-motor
  • 2x PF servo motors - ball cradle rotation and pick and place motion
  • Either 100% mechanical control with on/off function or controlled with Boost/Powered UP
  • Use 6L cylinders (cheaper and higher availability)
  • Control system Boost/Powered UP - controls the cycle of the machine based, including position encoder
  • New ball clamps - lighter and simpler

Quick Video: https://www.bricksafe.com/files/HRU_Bricks/gbc-ball-cleaning-machine-project/VID20190608230750.mp4 

IMG20190608230916.jpgIMG20190608230920.jpgIMG20190608230924.jpg

Posted (edited)

@HRU_Bricks Looks great!

I still have to start building a compressor. So far the ball cleaner project has been standing still for almost 2 months.

CFD0D740-6AE0-42EC-AA6C-A67071546A2C.jpe

Edited by Juroen

On 6/8/2019 at 4:35 PM, Juroen said:

@HRU_Bricks Looks great!

I still have to start building a compressor. So far the ball cleaner project has been standing still for almost 2 months.

CFD0D740-6AE0-42EC-AA6C-A67071546A2C.jpe

Thanks mate.  What are you using for air currently?  Even running 5 small cylinders uses heaps of air.  

Can you post some pics of the mechanics of the feeder mechanisms? I've got some ideas, but it would good to see what you've done

I only tested the functionality with a manual cylinder. I just ordered parts to build a Quanix based compressor. I will have to see if that works, otherwise I might be using a non-lego compressor. Probably some kind of airbrush type compressor.

Just linking the Quanix compressor, so people know what it is: