Sign in to follow this  
kelceycoe

Official Sources of LEGO Pirate Lore by Country

30 years after the debut of the Pirates line debuted and many of us are just now realizing the impact that each country having its own sources for lore has contributed to our understandings, translations, transliterations, and errors derived from these.

As we share our knowledge of our lore as it pertains to what was available at the time in our country it's important we use the original sources wherever possible.

This is what this thread is for.

Perhaps we can correct or clarify much of the confusion throughout these forums.

United Kingdom

France

Germany

United States (my country)

Note: I cannot verify if the Storybooks were officially released in the United States and officially published for license in the United States by a US publisher so these are not listed as verifiable sources for the US. If it wasn't in our shop at home catalogs, included as an order form on the back of set instructions (like our comic book) or the booklets or one-sheets distributed with our sets, or even in club magazines, we had no way of knowing. We didn't have a Legoland park or store or Discovery Centers or whatever until much, much later.

Edited by kelceycoe

That's good and all, but I'm not seeing a lot of confusion, just a list of publications that have been discussed on this forum for years.

The first post would have a lot more value to forum users if it acted as an index to everything it refers to - a present its just a list many of references many people won't be familiar with.

However, when it does link to some content it can be very useful

For example, I wasn't aware of Bo'Sun Will's Activity Book until just now - so that's very helpful! :thumbup:

5 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

Yes it's now fixed.

That's brilliant - thanking ye kindly!  :thumbup:

I shall review these sources in the near future.

I just clicked on the audio dramas (which should be indexed by title here) section to your site, and noticed this text, without any kind of attribution, at the top of the Audio Dramas page:

"They were repackaged and re-released without the LEGO brand on June 14 2004, apparently to capitalize on the recently released Pirates of the Caribbean film. (It's interesting to see the non-LEGO versons of Roger, Will, Camilla, and Broadside.) They are available for purchase on CD and immediate download on Amazon.de."

This is nearly identical to a post I made here about the audio dramas.

"They were repackaged and re-released without the LEGO brand in 2004, apparently to capitalize on the recently released Pirates of the Caribbean film. (It's interesting to see the non-LEGO versons of Roger, Will, Camilla, and Broadside.) They are available for purchase on CD and immediate download on Amazon.de!"

And again later on the page:

"(Note: The concerns here about Broadside's theoretical replacement were also raised in the Ladybird book "The Royal Visit", but this seems to be a different story...)"

Which hasn't even been changed from the original post:

"(Note: The concerns here about Broadside's theoretical replacement were also raised in the Ladybird book "The Royal Visit", but this seems to be a different story...)"

I appreciate the effort you've put into bringing all of this content into one place. I certainly don't claim ownership over the facts surrounding random LEGO audio dramas, but you can't just copy and paste text without attribution. Re-writing the text in your own words takes minimal effort compared to setting up the website, etc. Or, just explain who wrote the original text.  I would even be happy to write content for your site myself, if asked, and given credit. I noticed that you've included the timeline I originally posted here on your own site, so that might be of interest to you. 

I see that you're trying to give credit throughout the site, but it's frustratingly inconsistent. I appreciate that you've given Runamuck credit for his translations. You've also mentioned the user who originally uploaded the audios to a certain video site, though this appears to be copy-pasted directly from the descriptions of other uploads on the same site. I am credited on the timeline section, but at the very end, with no explanation of who wrote the timeline or where it originally appeared, or a direct link to the forum post. Why is this so inconsistent?

TC