paokus

The Lion Hotel! now on Lego Ideas..Hope you like it!

Looks great, especially with all those details on the windows, and those lionheads.
The colorscheme looks a bit African(ish) I think.

For me there are too many lion heads. A couple of them makes a statement and highlights the entrance or wherever they are placed. Having them on every bare section of wall is a bit over the top. Also floors 1 and 2 look identical, so increase part counts through repetitive building.

@MAB is called the lion hotel cause has lions. And remember, Hotels use to have the same floors, and if you look well in other images you will see are anot identical ;)

The L shaped footprint is perfect for a corner modular, and I'm surprised Lego has not done it already. The color scheme is great as well, though considering the current modular building franchise, I'm a bit nervous about the tan since over half of the corners use it as a major part of their color scheme. :look:

There's a lot of sculptural elements all over the facade, which looks very interesting.

I somewhat agree with @MAB that elements like the lion head are generally best suited to highlight certain locations of a set, and that perhaps there could be some more stretches of spaces without texture (think how Al's barbershop balances with the Highlander, texture-wise, or the sand green bits of the florist shop from AS framed in by the stonework). I do wonder how it would look if the lion heads were used a little more sparingly? Despite this sentiment, I do actually like how the lion heads are built into the walls. All that texture and depth is handled quite well and very pleasing to look at, especially above the windows and the perfectly sculpted foundation line. Sometimes I see an MOC that has tons of sculptural elements all over the facade and it can be overwhelming and difficult to look at, but somehow you've managed to make it easy on the eyes while still maintaining a high level of detail. The parts usage above the yellow H is very impressive as well, and it took a few moments before I recognized what those elements were. :grin:

I also agree that having a repeating floor adds good visual repetition and makes sense for a hotel. I remember the Grand Emporium got some flack for it, but I really like seeing repeating floors on buildings like the cafe and bakery in AS (granted, the bakery did have awnings exclusive to the 3rd floor). Maybe having an element reserved for one of the two floors (like a small balcony on one of them) would help diversify the building experience while still maintaining the much needed repetition.

The way you have shaped the building with angles and curves looks great, and I love how the curved railing crowns the concave area that overlooks the courtyard. The courtyard itself is a wonderful addition that adds green space up front that I really like, and the wall surrounding it being topped off with a concrete orb on either side of the gate feels like how it would be handled realistically and it just looks so good.

I don't think I've ever seen a lawn chair built like that before, and it looks really good. The interior is very well done as well.

Sadly, there is a bit that just looks wrong to me. I've seen lots of statues in MOC modular buildings, and most of the time they don't feel right to me, this one included. I'm still trying to figure out why, but it could be that mimicking contrapposto by having the statues in a walking motion makes them look too lightweight or aloof to be stone or bronze?  And in some cases like your statue, the posture is unbalanced and looks ready to fall forward. The subject matter of the statue also feels arbitrary to me, though I am sure you had your reasons for making it a person with a helmet and trident that I'm unaware of.  The nearby spire looks excellent, and I feel as though the statue is trying to steal the show and it just feels a little strange to look at.

Despite all the criticism I've thrown at your statue, don't let that get in the way of how much I appreciate the rest of the model! :thumbup:

Edited by Overcold