Hello everyone!

Thanks to the purple Titanian, it took 18 months for coming back from yet another dark age in my life. Now I am here with yet another pickup truck. Design was inspired by Ford Raptor, Dodge Ram and GMC Sierra.

Dacoma 4x4 Redux

800x450.jpg 

Weight: 1360g

-Powered by Sbrick

-2 L motors for propulsion

-Servo motor for steering

-M motor for two speed gearbox, (sort of) limited-slip center differential and lockable rear differential

-LED for headlights

-Openable hood,doors and tailgate

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMUH1YmF1F4&t=1s

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

This is an improved version of my Dacoma pickup truck and TLC 80. I could not finish building instructions for them because they had fatal drawbacks on their drivetrain. In low gear, bevel gears in center differential often skip and pop out by the torque of propulsion motors.

To make it reliable, it was necessary to reduce the stress on center diff while handling higher torque in low gear.

800x450.jpg

The gearbox works sequentially. (1 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 1)

1: High - 2: Low - 3: Low with rear diff lock

In low gear, center diff works like limited-slip diff.

800x450.jpg

In high gear, two L motors are coupled and rotate center differential together. Front and rear axles are driven via open center diff.

In low gear, only one L motor rotates center diff. Another motor is connected only to rear axle. (In other words, it just supports rear half of drivetrain.) Which means rear half of axle in center diff is (nearly) locked. That means front half of axle in center diff is locked as well.

800x450.jpg

Maximum suspension travel is not as long as older Dacoma truck. But new one articulates better thanks to softer front suspension.

800x450.jpg

Years ago I happened to get some rare blue parts from old sets. So I could build it in blue. With a few tweaks, it can be built in white, orange or black.

800x450.jpg

Building instructions: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-25520/Madoca1977/dacoma-4x4-redux/#comments

I hope you will like it. And I will work hard not to take a long time for sharing next model. :classic:

Welcome back Jedi. Great truck and unique chassis as base for all of us!

Red letter day Technic people! 

I am so happy to see You back, and what a superb MOC, packed full with features... I see myself spending this evening with wan.... studying the BI. :wub_drool: :grin:

The only thing what I think could be nicer, is the sides of the hood, the connectors just don't work visually for me.

Welcome back Madoca!

Nice work. Glad to see you back. I can almost build this one but I'm still missing a few (rare) parts.

Yay! Look who's here again! :sweet:

How I love these compact models that are just full of all possible and impossible (but still appears as possible) functions. I still can't believe how such size may fit seems to everything from the real car, all but the last zip lock at the driver's armchair.

1 hour ago, Madoca 1977 said:

In high gear, two L motors are coupled and rotate center differential together. Front and rear axles are driven via open center diff.

In low gear, only one L motor rotates center diff. Another motor is connected only to rear axle. (In other words, it just supports rear half of drivetrain.) Which means rear half of axle in center diff is (nearly) locked. That means front half of axle in center diff is locked as well.

That's a very elegant way to bypass the center-diff-torque issue. Great to see you back!

It is always a pleasure to see your compact MOCs even using Sbrick :laugh: .

Edited by jorgeopesi

How do you make the tilted pillars of the cabin?

I don't see them fit any of existing Lego technic triangles! 

And what prevents the roof from shifting?

Edited by Yevhen

3 minutes ago, Yevhen said:

How do you make the tilted pillars of the cabin? I don't see them fit any of existing Lego technic triangles! 

It's just something that he does... Some deep secret, only masters can achieve this level of building... :wink:

@Madoca 1977 This is an excellent build, with some amazing functions. You never cease to amaze me. Welcome back! And thanks for the instructions! I was already planning to spend my evening pouring over the photos, hoping to reverse-engineer it, then I saw the link to the instructions... :wub:

Wow, this is AWESOME! I would really like to have one at home, so thank you for the instructions!

10 hours ago, Yevhen said:

How do you make the tilted pillars of the cabin?

I don't see them fit any of existing Lego technic triangles! 

And what prevents the roof from shifting?

It doesn't fit perfectly, but it doesn't have to since the sideways position is fixed by the two black rodes/poles at the back of the cabin (I can't express it in a way that doesn't call for yourmum jokes)

Welcome back!

Great truck again. such clean lines paired with great performance, it is always a joy to see your creations.:wub:

5 hours ago, Lipko said:

It doesn't fit perfectly, but it doesn't have to since the sideways position is fixed by the two black rodes/poles at the back of the cabin (I can't express it in a way that doesn't call for yourmum jokes)

That's what I thought. And there must be a backlash between the roof and black axles...

Edited by Yevhen

It's great to see you at work again, Madoca :) Don't mind the roof conspiracy theorist, he's just funny that way.

Edited by Sariel

Thank you for your kind words!

Actually this gearbox was inspired by rm8’s idea of assisting rear axle by another motor. It is always interesting to make it simple, effective and reliable.

Some models without instructions are still in my to-do list. I will fix or improve them like I did for Dacoma truck.

Good to see you back with another great creation. What a compact and dense build! Thank you very much for the building instructions. Much appreciated!

Welcome back, sensei!
As much as I liked the previous version of 2016 - I like all the changes in the new pickup!
He reminded me of a 2014 Off Road Pickup, but much more compact and much more difficult in terms of features. Great progress over the years!
Glad to see you back in business! :thumbup:

Welcome back! There is a huge difference between you are in your dark age and you are here in the technic world!