Sign in to follow this  
AmperZand

[MOD] City Space 2019 into Classic Space Retro Mod

Pretty much as soon as pictures of the City Space 2019 sets appeared online, AFOLs were pointing out their conceptual similarities to Classic Space.

I have taken that a step further by recolouring one of the 2019 sets, 60224 Satellite Service Mission, making it consistent with the Classic Space sets of the early to mid-1980s. It is not a true retro mod as the parts and building techniques are those of today, not those of 35+ years ago. So it should really be called Neo Classic Space. I replaced the minifigure with one more in keeping with the earlier period.

The repositioning of the wingtips, if you're wondering, was not to make the ship more retro. I just think they look better attached underneath than on top.  

Here is the 2019 set:

60224-1.jpg?201905140825

And here is my mod:

neo_classic_spaceship_small.jpg   

I like to think that the satellite to be deployed by the ship will be communicating with the Classic Space mobile station (and ATV) I recreated a few years ago and still in my display collection:

atv_a_full.jpg 

I haven't yet decided whether I will retro mod any of the other 2019 City Space sets. If anyone wants to post below their own mod of 60224 or indeed any other of this summer's releases, please do. I would be most interested in seeing what is out there.

Questions, comments, classic colour confusion?

I don't think the color change and crew swap, on its own, does much to establish that 1979 feel, but I do agree that the Space offerings this year pretty much cover all the bases for the 1979-1982 CS waves. 

Small single-seat spaceship with a small cargo bay in back?  That's the 918 One Man Space Ship - or the 60224 Maintenance Mission Shuttle.

Medium-sized two-seat spaceship with a small cargo bay behind the back seat, and some design commonality with the single-seat spaceship?  That's the 924 Space Transporter - or the 60226 Mars Research Shuttle.

Large two-seat spaceship with a large cargo bay in back, some design commonality with the smaller spaceships, and a substantial base?  That's the 928 Galaxy Explorer - or the 75975 Watchpoint Gibraltar spaceship, with extra crew from the 60230 Space people pack.

Small open-cockpit spaceship with a decent build for its size and some design commonality with all the other spaceships?  That's the 75970 Tracer vs Widowmaker spaceship, with extra crew from the 60230 Space people pack.

Substantial forward base with auxiliary vehicles?  That's the 926 Command Center - or the 60227 Lunar Space Station.

Large base with a big launch control display, two-seat monorail that terminates at the launch base and a spaceship launch pad, and auxiliary rovers?  That's the 6970 Beta-1 Command Base - or the 60228 Deep Space Rocket and Launch Control.

Rocket base with auxiliary vehicles?  That's the 920 Alpha-1 Rocket Base - or also the 60228 Deep Space Rocket and Launch Control.

Rocket transport truck?  That's the 897 Mobile Rocket Launcher, or the 6950 Mobile Rocket Transport - or the 60229 Rocket Assembly and Transport.

Anyway, that's enough of that.  Back to work ....