Murdoch17

coal and water towers for steam engines - real life MOCs with LDD file

These are typical "concrete" steam locomotive coaling and water towers of the mid-1900's for North America.

47994597872_a68f4e0320_z.jpg

Both models feature lowering chutes / spouts, for the imaginary fuel to flow down into the waiting engine below. (Which in this case is a 0-6-0ST switcher locomotive that has been built for some time. You can see it in it's own thread here.)

47994597782_54aacc2921_z.jpg

For the coal tower, I was inspired by the website LGauge. However, unlike my more recent smaller versions of said tower, I have gone back to the larger 2014 version with it's odd-stud dimensions. This means it's a lot taller, wider and has a ton more pieces than before. It also has two chains to hold the new chute at the optimum height to clear the roof-top's of locomotives, while not being to high to look silly.

47994637446_6e7e0bedc5_z.jpg

The rear of the coal tower. The girders in the rear are supposed to "hold" a conveyor bucket system to get coal to the top of the tower to replenish the supply inside the structure. Of course, since it's Lego, this system is imaginary.

47994597827_a91ebbec29_z.jpg

With the brand-new water tower design, however, I was inspired by my Father's work with a smaller version of the same basic idea. I enlarged the basic dimensions dramatically and used castle wall-top pieces to boost the structural integrity of the now 14 stud-wide model.

47994591663_2dae0672ce_z.jpg

The rear of the water tower.

46883628305_a7aaf4665b_z.jpg

What you see above is what you will get in the ldd file, which is available here at Bricksafe. It's a slightly older model, but all it's missing is the two 16-L chains and the two 32 x 16 base plates.

Enjoy the file, and as usual: comments, questions or complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17