Robert8

LEGO Minions 2020

I bet this will be like Angry Birds, with molded characters. I just cant imagine the Minions being minifigures. 

Interesting… wouldn't have necessarily expected LEGO to get a second animated movie license in addition to the already-confirmed Trolls 2 license. But this certainly helps them to diversify their risks, and there's no doubt this is a highly marketable brand (at least in the United States). It also fits with LEGO's established pattern of acquiring licenses for sequels and spin-offs to well-known and successful IPs rather than taking risks on brand-new and unproven ones.

I don't have much excitement for this personally, since I've only seen the first Despicable Me movie and none of the Minions movies. But I suspect there's a decent audience for this license, especially among kids who haven't been around long enough or become jaded enough to get tired of seeing the same characters so pervasively marketed the way many adults do.

Edited by Aanchir

I genuinely hate minions. The films are derivative and the lowest form of comedy. They're cheap, rely on crass humor and have almost no comedy. I'd even argue that they're negative influences on kids. Point being: I think that they're gonna loose more PR for this than they did with the 16+ Stranger Things set. Not looking forward to it.

1 minute ago, Robert8 said:

I bet this will be like Angry Birds, with molded characters. I just cant imagine the Minions being minifigures. 

I have higher hopes with the Minions because they look okay in Mega Bloks / Mega Construx ... I hope the builds are great though, and that they won't butcher the Minions in minifig form.

People have already raised points about the noses being a big part of the character models. In fact, none of them would translate well to Lego form. It'd have to be new moulds for basically all of the characters or it'd look off. I personally think it will flop.

My favorite quote from the Instagram reveal:

"Ask Mega Bloks how well they sold"

I wonder if it'll be a mould like the Sponge-bob, A brick built like Ice-Cream Cone or an ugly block like the angry birds figs. Either way, this is a terrible choice both for compatibility and content. I can only hope Illumination pressured them into doing this for the license deals on other properties rather than Lego actively choosing it.

25 minutes ago, Brick Cucumber said:

I wonder if it'll be a mould like the Sponge-bob, A brick built like Ice-Cream Cone or an ugly block like the angry birds figs. Either way, this is a terrible choice both for compatibility and content. I can only hope Illumination pressured them into doing this for the license deals on other properties rather than Lego actively choosing it.

What other license Illumination holds? I can remember none. 

And it is actually strange that LEGO went for both Trolls and Minions license at the same year, since both targets the same demographics.

Edited by Chiaroscuro

Just now, Chiaroscuro said:

What other license Illumination holds? I can remember none. 

Dreamworks and Illumination are basically on the brink of merging at this point right? They've got the same parent company and there are rumors of Illumination taking the Shrek franchise and rebooting it. I'm pretty sure those two licenses being acquired so close are connected.

Just now, Brick Cucumber said:

Dreamworks and Illumination are basically on the brink of merging at this point right? They've got the same parent company and there are rumors of Illumination taking the Shrek franchise and rebooting it. I'm pretty sure those two licenses being acquired so close are connected.

Didn’t realise they were that close. I don’t recall illumination making a movie that is generally good (not just fart jokes). But dreamworks has some real solid stuff (Shrek, how to train your dragon, Kung fu panda)

Just now, Whovastron said:

But dreamworks has some real solid stuff (Shrek, how to train your dragon, Kung fu panda)

Just now, Whovastron said:

I don’t recall illumination making a movie that is generally good (not just fart jokes)

A small price to pay for Salvation

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

It happening... confirmed on TLG social media

I will have to buy a set just for the minions. :laugh:

Then we need a Lego Minion emoji here on Eurobricks!

I am a little surprised though, considering that Mega Bloks previously held the license...

The thing is that I actually liked the Megabloks minions design (but never bought any) but their builds were meh. Since this will probably a LEGO 4+ wave, the builds will be meh too. 

53 minutes ago, Brick Cucumber said:

My favorite quote from the Instagram reveal:

"Ask Mega Bloks how well they sold"

In fairness, the sets they produced were incredibly awful. The characters were scaled so large that they couldn't do proper builds of anything. The only good thing they did was the figure series and unfortunately the quality of the plastic and prints was poor to the point that there was like a 50% chance you'd get a messed up one.

I actually think this license could succeed. If they scale the Minions down and actually create playsets based on the better designed elements from the franchise like Gru's house and lab then it might sell decently. The Minions should be scaled like a child sized minifigure.

48 minutes ago, Brick Cucumber said:

Either way, this is a terrible choice both for compatibility and content.

I don’t really see what people have against minions, but with any license, there will always be people who like it and people who don’t.

TLG will have done their market research and found financial reasons for the theme.

Still, I do agree that it’s just another one of those ‘middle themes’ like Toy Story which probably does alright but is by no means a bestseller.

Edited by TheL390Man

11 minutes ago, Chiaroscuro said:

The thing is that I actually liked the Megabloks minions design (but never bought any) but their builds were meh. Since this will probably a LEGO 4+ wave, the builds will be meh too. 

I cannot imagine that the minifig version would be any better than the Megabloks version because the articulations of those Megabloks minions are superb and the eye googles are great.

The minions are elongated rounded blobs and the minifigure design is anything but that... so I really hope it won't be a Sponge Bob minifig scenario once again. 

7 minutes ago, makoy said:

The minions are elongated rounded blobs and the minifigure design is anything but that... so I really hope it won't be a Sponge Bob minifig scenario once again. 

I suspect that they’ll use normal legs with a custom torso/ head piece. Seems a very TLG thing to do (so basically just Spongebob again.) But I hope I’m wrong...

Does anyone have any idea when the sets will be revealed?

Edited by TheL390Man

Look LEGO I know i said I liked spooky things but some things are just too horrifying to be sold to children. this is irresponsible.

1 hour ago, TheL390Man said:

I am a little surprised though, considering that Mega Bloks previously held the license...

There are quite a few licenses that both LEGO and MB have done, sometimes with MB doing them first - Pirates of the Caribbean, SpongeBob SquarePants, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Cars, Marvel / Spider-Man, and perhaps others I’m overlooking. If we expand it beyond just a Mega Bloks to all competing makers of construction toys, there are even more licenses that LEGO has done for which they’re not the only company that has. Heck, even LEGO mainstay Star Wars has had construction toys from other companies before (though more of the nuts-and-bolts steel girder Meccano / Erector style than interlocking plastic bricks). If it were a requirement for a LEGO license that no competing toymaker had previously held the construction toy license for that property, there’d be a lot fewer LEGO licenses.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! TLG, WHY! THIS IS BELOW YOUR DIGNITY! YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE! YOU WERE THE LAST BASTION AGAINST THE UBIQUITOUS, YELLOW, GOGGLE WEARING BLIGHT THAT PLAGUE OUR POPCULTURE! WWWWWWWHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

I thought the original Despicable Me was a really good film within its genre. Sweet, funny and quirky, and the Minions were a part of that. They've really overdone them since then though. The Minion Movie was atrocious. Hard to see what the market for this would be.