Ngoc Nguyen

42099 - 4x4 X-treme Off-Roader

Recommended Posts

Looking on this it looks more interesting to me that Rock crawler we had in 2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It has an orange color, just the stickers make it some other I think. But yeah, it's better than 9398, and looks a bit like Dakar vehicles - speaking of the upper part

Edited by Jockos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks better than the prelim. Appears to have pendular axles that are also suspended to have increased travel which is...... interesting! But I'm here for the new hubs, which I don't see yet, but I can't imagine they would put all that power through our current tiny CV joints so that tells me the rumours are true, however the steering pivot appears to be just inside the wheel, which is great, but how is there room left for a planetary gear reduction? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, allanp said:

Looks better than the prelim. Appears to have pendular axles that are also suspended to have increased travel which is...... interesting! But I'm here for the new hubs, which I don't see yet, but I can't imagine they would put all that power through our current tiny CV joints so that tells me the rumours are true, however the steering pivot appears to be just inside the wheel, which is great, but how is there room left for a planetary gear reduction? 

I'm afraid "new hub" term is for this 

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-technic-control-vorgestellt-erste-bilder-neuen-motor-hub/81012

I also do not see how to put planetary gear reduction inside wheel - specially because it looks like ordinary wheel racing medium, only in black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, I_Igor said:

I'm afraid "new hub" term is for this 

No, it's not. Check the lbg part at the front right wheel. There is a link attached to it. That's a new hub. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Attika said:

No, it's not. Check the lbg part at the front right wheel. There is a link attached to it. That's a new hub. 

I understand what you mean, but I was writing about planetary reduction system inside hub, but let's hope you know better than me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Attika said:

No, it's not. Check the lbg part at the front right wheel. There is a link attached to it. That's a new hub. 

Hmm it looks like one part - the hub, so it has to be the new one. But the news about new tires is debunked, so metal hubs/planetary gears also are big question mark :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, keymaker said:

Hmm it looks like one part - the hub, so it has to be the new one. But the news about new tires is debunked, so metal hubs/planetary gears also are big question mark :(

Put it this way: there's no portal, normal hub never gonna move this monster, so must be something that reducts there. I'm not giving up... :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Attika said:

Put it this way: there's no portal, normal hub never gonna move this monster, so must be something that reducts there. I'm not giving up... :laugh:

at least there is some kind of hub based on 3 pins that "hold" a wheel :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks really good. Too bad we didn't get a view of the planetary hub, but for the first time since 2016 we're gonna have a good summer wave!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, allanp said:

Appears to have pendular axles that are also suspended to have increased travel which is...... interesting!

Well, I can't say I see something that may prove or debunk the rear axles pendular suspension.

But... as there are only three motors, the following combinations are possible:

Number #1. The most possible (as the most logical) scheme.

  • Front axle: pendular + spring-loaded independent wishbones. Driven by an on-axle mounted motor.
  • Rear axle: spring-loaded independent wishbones. Driven by an on-axle mounted motor.
  • "Servo" is in the middle.

This combination has a good power to drive (2 motors) and can oscillate moderate obstacles, however having some side instability when the rear axle is inclined.

Number #2. A better obstacles oscillation.

  • Front axle: pendular + spring-loaded independent wishbones. Driven by an on-axle mounted motor.
  • Rear axle: pendular + spring-loaded independent wishbones. Driven by an on-axle mounted motor.
  • Both axle's turntables are linked like in offroadcreations's monster truck.
  • "Servo" is in the middle.

This combination has a good power to drive (2 motors) and can oscillate moderate obstacles, plus more stable than #1 option because of self-controllable pendular axles.
However, I can't see the traces of the same turntables embracing at the rear end, so it seems to be just a private opinion.

Number #3. A better (and more interesting!) obstacles oscillation.

  • Front axle: pendular + spring-loaded independent wishbones. The pendular rotating table angle is driven by an on-axle mounted motor.
  • Rear axle: spring-loaded independent wishbones.
  • Both axles are driven by a single motor.
  • "Servo" is in the middle.

This combination does not provide a great driving power (by 1:4 planetary hubs may save situation) as there is only one motor drives the model. But it can rotate (incline) the front axle that provides great controllable oscillation and kind of a controllable weight distribution side-by-side (that was 9398's great weakness).
I wouldn't bet on that as it's a really hard task to drive this monster using the only a single motor.

 

 

Edited by Void_S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that L motor will act as a servo one. Hope it will have enough power to steer the wheels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

After some deliberation, that front axle seems quite unusual, since it's a pendular double wishbone combo. It's still a huge shame that both axles aren't live/four-bar, I was really hoping they would be.

Edited by Bartybum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A pendular axle is actually better for slow-moving vehicles and where driver comfort isn't that important; besides, isn't there also spring-based suspension in this set?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

A pendular axle is actually better for slow-moving vehicles and where driver comfort isn't that important; besides, isn't there also spring-based suspension in this set?

I'm just really sad that yet again we don't get the ball frame and socket :cry_sad:. It's honestly the only thing missing in my Technic life, along with the long springs. I just really wish they'd give them some love. Current Technic springs are hopeless for travel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a thought:

If there are turntables for both axles, could they be mechanically linked so that they always rotate in opposite directions? This would allow for distribution of deflection across both axles, while preventing the car from tipping on its side when having two pendular axles.

The turntable's teeth facing inwards may be a hint?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, hjxbf said:

Here's a thought:

If there are turntables for both axles, could they be mechanically linked so that they always rotate in opposite directions? This would allow for distribution of deflection across both axles, while preventing the car from tipping on its side when having two pendular axles.

The turntable's teeth facing inwards may be a hint?

I think only the front axle has a turntable, otherwise it would roll/fall to one side, and I highly doubt TLG would give us extra springs to prevent that. Plus, both shots in that leak above show the rear axle in a straight position.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your comment, so ignore the first half sentence

Edited by Bartybum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ground clearance is poor (around 3 studs). If there are 2 driving motors (each per axle) then we can't dream about using train remote to play with this set (each driving motor is connected to separate point -A and B so we need application support to run them together). And I don't like how it looks...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CLAAS tyres look great with black hubs! Great to have that combo in an official set. :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

I think only the front axle has a turntable, otherwise it would roll/fall to one side, and I highly doubt TLG would give us extra springs to prevent that. Plus, both shots in that leak above show the rear axle in a straight position.

hjxbf means the assembly that I have mentioned in the "Number #2" in my post above. This thing really works but here is hard so to see if the rear axle has this feature. Moreover, at the image the only front axle is inclined (rear is parallel to the whole body), so the most realistic thing is the only front axle is pendular. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a truth welll told that TLG doesn't make anything with pendular suspensions for all axles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Just now, TechnicRCRacer said:

I have a feeling that there is no servo... Maybe the hub can control any motor like a servo?

yes, it depends on the motor itself. XL and L are servo motors as well, for example PU-M in batmobil is not. With the release we have the full lineup of motors, but the XL and L are designed for Technic use, where the M is used for regular sets

Edited by Timorzelorzworz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.