Ngoc Nguyen

42099 - 4x4 X-treme Off-Roader

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Jim said:

I was just playing around with the gears, because I have exactly the same problem with the rear diff.

The new CV-joints make a rattling sound. You can hear that very well when you make one wheel turn with the wheel at the other end of the diff. Maybe that explains what you are hearing.

Edited by Didumos69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

The new CV-joints make a rattling sound. You can hear that very well when you make one wheel turn with the wheel at the other end of the diff. Maybe that explains what you are hearing.

Not sure the sound was made by the CV-joints. When I loosened the waffle, the sound was less obvious. I suspected the two bevel gears at the end. But I'm not 100% sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jim said:

Not sure the sound was made by the CV-joints. When I loosened the waffle, the sound was less obvious. I suspected the two bevel gears at the end. But I'm not 100% sure.

Maybe the teeth of the 20t gear are scratching the biscuit piece. It has small ridges outlining the 5 holes.

One more thing. From a strict perspective, the rear axles are an illegal build. The CV-joint pivots span 5l and the suspension arms only span 4l (center to center). This makes the suspension arms squeeze the CV-joints under the given angle.

This may have been done deliberately, to reduce the chances of the CV-joints popping out of the differential, but it's not proper.

Edited by Didumos69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jim said:

... the waffle...

 

55 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

... the biscuit piece ...

I don't know what you guys are talking about, but you make me hungry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

 

I don't know what you guys are talking about, but you make me hungry.

Here's some ABS snack for you:

39793.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Here's some ABS snack for you:

:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sound source is formed by a combination of gear wheels and of the will in the proceedings.

DSC_0045_1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Maybe the teeth of the 20t gear are scratching the biscuit piece. It has small ridges outlining the 5 holes.

Yup, I think that's the case!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jim said:

I am currently working on my review and I am thinking about swapping out some of the orange, blue, green and red parts with black or grey, to match the chassis. Do you think that's a good idea, or do you prefer to see the original "colored" version of the chassis?

A bit delayed, but hopefully not too late. I would like to see your color mods. Everyone knows how the stock colours look like. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Andman said:

A bit delayed, but hopefully not too late. I would like to see your color mods. Everyone knows how the stock colours look like. :-)

Well, I started with the MODs, but I changed back because I agree that I need to review the actual product. I do have some pictures of the modified front suspension. I will include them in the review and give you my opinion :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!

First of all I am a little bit newbie with "new" (I am lost in studded) generation technic and rebrickable. 

1. ni-zn batteries are recommended with this set? Could it do damage/disadvantage? 

2/A. I am thinking to do Effermann moc. Is it a good final upgrade? 

2/B Rebrickable calculated that with the 42099 set I have 71.9%, exactly: "685 out of 953 , ignoring 1 minifig/non-LEGO parts". Ideas whats that part?
2/C Did anybody bought the missing parts trough rebrickable database? 268 necessary parts is correct (if u have only 40299 set)?

Thanks for the reply!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would first build it without any mods and then decide how to continue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hercooles said:

Hello!

First of all I am a little bit newbie with "new" (I am lost in studded) generation technic and rebrickable. 

1. ni-zn batteries are recommended with this set? Could it do damage/disadvantage? 

2/A. I am thinking to do Effermann moc. Is it a good final upgrade? 

2/B Rebrickable calculated that with the 42099 set I have 71.9%, exactly: "685 out of 953 , ignoring 1 minifig/non-LEGO parts". Ideas whats that part?
2/C Did anybody bought the missing parts trough rebrickable database? 268 necessary parts is correct (if u have only 40299 set)?

Thanks for the reply!

1. I'd use Eneloops, myself.

2/A I'd build the set first and see what you like/dislike.

2/B The part in question is the sticker sheet.

2/C ?????? This question is really poorly worded.

Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2019 at 5:27 AM, Jim said:

Well, I started with the MODs, but I changed back because I agree that I need to review the actual product. I do have some pictures of the modified front suspension. I will include them in the review and give you my opinion :thumbup:

Hi Jim, how is your review going?  Looking forward to it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.