13 minutes ago, Jim said:

I was just playing around with the gears, because I have exactly the same problem with the rear diff.

The new CV-joints make a rattling sound. You can hear that very well when you make one wheel turn with the wheel at the other end of the diff. Maybe that explains what you are hearing.

Edited by Didumos69

13 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

The new CV-joints make a rattling sound. You can hear that very well when you make one wheel turn with the wheel at the other end of the diff. Maybe that explains what you are hearing.

Not sure the sound was made by the CV-joints. When I loosened the waffle, the sound was less obvious. I suspected the two bevel gears at the end. But I'm not 100% sure.

9 hours ago, Jim said:

Not sure the sound was made by the CV-joints. When I loosened the waffle, the sound was less obvious. I suspected the two bevel gears at the end. But I'm not 100% sure.

Maybe the teeth of the 20t gear are scratching the biscuit piece. It has small ridges outlining the 5 holes.

One more thing. From a strict perspective, the rear axles are an illegal build. The CV-joint pivots span 5l and the suspension arms only span 4l (center to center). This makes the suspension arms squeeze the CV-joints under the given angle.

This may have been done deliberately, to reduce the chances of the CV-joints popping out of the differential, but it's not proper.

Edited by Didumos69

10 hours ago, Jim said:

... the waffle...

55 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

... the biscuit piece ...

I don't know what you guys are talking about, but you make me hungry.

2 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I don't know what you guys are talking about, but you make me hungry.

Here's some ABS snack for you:

39793.png

11 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Here's some ABS snack for you:

:laugh:

The sound source is formed by a combination of gear wheels and of the will in the proceedings.

DSC_0045_1.jpg

3 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Maybe the teeth of the 20t gear are scratching the biscuit piece. It has small ridges outlining the 5 holes.

Yup, I think that's the case!

19 hours ago, Jim said:

I am currently working on my review and I am thinking about swapping out some of the orange, blue, green and red parts with black or grey, to match the chassis. Do you think that's a good idea, or do you prefer to see the original "colored" version of the chassis?

A bit delayed, but hopefully not too late. I would like to see your color mods. Everyone knows how the stock colours look like. :-)

12 minutes ago, Andman said:

A bit delayed, but hopefully not too late. I would like to see your color mods. Everyone knows how the stock colours look like. :-)

Well, I started with the MODs, but I changed back because I agree that I need to review the actual product. I do have some pictures of the modified front suspension. I will include them in the review and give you my opinion :thumbup:

Hello!

First of all I am a little bit newbie with "new" (I am lost in studded) generation technic and rebrickable. 

1. ni-zn batteries are recommended with this set? Could it do damage/disadvantage? 

2/A. I am thinking to do Effermann moc. Is it a good final upgrade? 

2/B Rebrickable calculated that with the 42099 set I have 71.9%, exactly: "685 out of 953 , ignoring 1 minifig/non-LEGO parts". Ideas whats that part?
2/C Did anybody bought the missing parts trough rebrickable database? 268 necessary parts is correct (if u have only 40299 set)?

Thanks for the reply!

I would first build it without any mods and then decide how to continue.

11 hours ago, hercooles said:

Hello!

First of all I am a little bit newbie with "new" (I am lost in studded) generation technic and rebrickable. 

1. ni-zn batteries are recommended with this set? Could it do damage/disadvantage? 

2/A. I am thinking to do Effermann moc. Is it a good final upgrade? 

2/B Rebrickable calculated that with the 42099 set I have 71.9%, exactly: "685 out of 953 , ignoring 1 minifig/non-LEGO parts". Ideas whats that part?
2/C Did anybody bought the missing parts trough rebrickable database? 268 necessary parts is correct (if u have only 40299 set)?

Thanks for the reply!

1. I'd use Eneloops, myself.

2/A I'd build the set first and see what you like/dislike.

2/B The part in question is the sticker sheet.

2/C ?????? This question is really poorly worded.

Hope this helps.

On 10/28/2019 at 5:27 AM, Jim said:

Well, I started with the MODs, but I changed back because I agree that I need to review the actual product. I do have some pictures of the modified front suspension. I will include them in the review and give you my opinion :thumbup:

Hi Jim, how is your review going?  Looking forward to it