On 8/4/2019 at 11:12 AM, sirslayer said:

Blame Mr. Trump with his tariffs!!!!! 

Does China make any Legos? Only fake ones right? Besides that tariff is on steel not ABS plastic. Let's stop with the political crap OK?.

So with the understanding that the app will be updated to include a way to make your own custom setups in future I bought it Sunday and I have to say I think 42099 is great! Control+ works so much better than PF and I found myself not having to look at the screen very much at all to control, though a physical control is still very desirable. The drive train remains very unrealistic with all the motors being mounted to the axles. Would much prefer them mounted under the hood and linked to live axles using drive shafts. But on the plus side the new gear reduction hubs are brilliant. There's no jerky movement AT ALL. I built it using 16t gears all round in the drive and as a crawler it outperforms the old crawler easily, with power and precision. Great job :thumbup:

2 hours ago, allanp said:

I built it using 16t gears all round in the drive and as a crawler it outperforms the old crawler easily, with power and precision.

I was about to make this.... Thanks for the confirmation it's the way to go!

3 minutes ago, Philo said:

I was about to make this.... Thanks for the confirmation it's the way to go!

There are a couple of gearing solutions between the original and the super-slow version. For a balance between speed and power I suggest a simple swap of one pair of gears so you'll have 1:1 gearing between the motor and the differential, to max out the crawling capabilities (taking into consideration the limits of the diffs and the ground clearance) the best is to swap one pair and replace the other pair with 2 16t gears:

21 hours ago, allanp said:

I was hoping that you could attach a servo directly to a new style pneumatic valve and when to do the calibration, it would know that the mechanical limit is roughly 45 degrees either way, and you would then have 10 smaller steps or something for finer control.

@kbalage I also thought, that it is doing exactly this, also checking limits :(

It takes up more space than a direct connection, but you can use linkages to reduce the motor's +-90º to the valve's +-45º, like was done in the 42030. It also has the advantage of increasing torque.

@Philo, are you going to make power and torque measurements of the new motors?

The good news are that there isn’t same current protection like in Batmobile M-motor. I did measure stalled current and it is roughly the same as the PF motors.

Just now, Limga said:

are you going to make power and torque measurements of the new motors?

Yes... But may take some time ?

41 minutes ago, M_longer said:
2 hours ago, Philo said:

Yes... But may take some time ?

And Ldraw parts maybe? :)

Sure! That's the main reason for buying the 42099 ?

20 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

Does China make any Legos? Only fake ones right? Besides that tariff is on steel not ABS plastic. Let's stop with the political crap OK?.

1) Yes China does make actual Lego. Lego opened a factory in PRC in November, 2016, see this press release:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news-room/2016/november/jiaxing-factory-grand-opening/

It wouldn't surprise me if Lego did this strategically so that the Chinese government would start defending Lego's intellectual property. i.e. Lego could threaten to shut down the factory which will cost a lot of Chinese jobs both in the factory and in various logistics / transportation companies. The tactic seems to be working, e.g.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/china-police-smash-30m-fake-lego-ring

2) The tariffs announced last week include all products previously not subjected to tariffs including toys:

"US President Donald Trump says he will impose a 10 per cent tariff next month on the remaining $US300 billion in Chinese imports he has not already taxed, which include a vast range of consumer products like phones and toys. "

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-02/donald-trump-to-impose-more-tariffs-on-chinese-goods/11376766

Lego is a toy, the material it is made from doesn't change this classification.

This means that, as  sirslayer suggested, any Lego sets exported from China to the U.S. will eventually be subject to this tariff. Of course Lego could try to work around this by sending the Chinese manufactured parts to a different country (probably Mexico?) before the sets are assembled and imported into the U.S.

Edited by ShowsOn
Wrong attribution

Guys, sorry for double posting.

:classic: I am testing ENG channel. By the way, translated one of my latest videos about 42099. What do you think of my english? Could you understand me?

you can leave you feedback right in the YT

Anybody trying to redesign the body to make something different of it? Its much like rc cars with the body 'cover' so its a blank canvas. I was thinking somehow a unimog of course.

52 minutes ago, ShowsOn said:

1) Yes China does make actual Lego. Lego opened a factory in PRC in November, 2016, see this press release:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news-room/2016/november/jiaxing-factory-grand-opening/

It wouldn't surprise me if Lego did this strategically so that the Chinese government would start defending Lego's intellectual property. i.e. Lego could threaten to shut down the factory which will cost a lot of Chinese jobs both in the factory and in various logistics / transportation companies. The tactic seems to be working, e.g.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/china-police-smash-30m-fake-lego-ring

2) The tariffs announced last week include all products previously not subjected to tariffs including toys:

"US President Donald Trump says he will impose a 10 per cent tariff next month on the remaining $US300 billion in Chinese imports he has not already taxed, which include a vast range of consumer products like phones and toys. "

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-02/donald-trump-to-impose-more-tariffs-on-chinese-goods/11376766

Lego is a toy, the material it is made from doesn't change this classification.

This means that, as  sirslayer suggested, any Lego sets exported from China to the U.S. will eventually be subject to this tariff. Of course Lego could try to work around this by sending the Chinese manufactured parts to a different country (probably Mexico?) before the sets are assembled and imported into the U.S.

China just manipulated their currency so we all pay more for everything Chinese. The tariff is not put into effect yet, but what China did insures it!!

@rm8 English is my 3rd language, but the entirety of the video was easily comprehensible :classic:

@erikhortsch having in mind that 9398 also featured a removable body, there will be a significant number of bodywork MODs/ alternative bodies available for 42099 as well, in some time of course.

After seeing a few of 9398/Modded 42099 comparisons I only seen one where 9398 was upgraded as well. Why so?

Edited by syclone

4 minutes ago, syclone said:

After seeing a few of 9398/Modded 42099 comparisons I only seen one where 9398 was upgraded as well. Why so?

Probably because despite the look 9398 and 42099 are in a very different league out of the box so most people (like myself) modded 42099 to match the speed of 9398 so the comparison would be more realistic. I showed briefly my BuWizz-powered 41999 replica in the latest video for comparison. The other reason might be the lack of time so far, not everyone has a modded 9398 on the shelf :) I had an XL motor powered 9398 previously with BuWizz, might rebuild for another comparison.

Just now, kbalage said:

Probably because despite the look 9398 and 42099 are in a very different league out of the box so most people (like myself) modded 42099 to match the speed of 9398 so the comparison would be more realistic. I showed briefly my BuWizz-powered 41999 replica in the latest video for comparison. The other reason might be the lack of time so far, not everyone has a modded 9398 on the shelf :) I had an XL motor powered 9398 previously with BuWizz, might rebuild for another comparison.

Oh, that makes sense))) The performance of 42099 was surprising after the "slow" gearswap, but the suspension leaves a lot to desire... 

Ideally, rather than setting a much different gear ratio you'd add a gearbox.Between the chiron gear ring and using the new motors as stepper motors, how much room would this take?

10 hours ago, kbalage said:

For a balance between speed and power I suggest a simple swap of one pair of gears so you'll have 1:1 gearing between the motor and the differential, to max out the crawling capabilitie

Thanks for the video. Works perfect indeed!

I know, you already saw all brilliant reviews of 42099, but...my 60 minutes are not just empty words:) If you want to know more about 42099 with all design decisions taken by TLG, as I see it, you are welcome. Crawler with my own eyes, as designer of 4x4 cars with small experience including working with 41999 set.

My assistant Rishat just translated this review! That's really  high quality tranaslation of my every word, 60 minutes review, FULL Version. Well, hope this was not useless work and lost resources:) Because usually I don't  see many foreign viewers in my channel analytics, but, sure, those 45K susbscribers are not only my native language viewers. Let me know in the YT comments that you've watched it with all subtitiles. I wish, one day I can share in english, free as in native. Thank you!

The fun new parts, with the exception of the electronics, are now on Pick a Brick through Lego Shop at Home. Just ordered the hubs, CV joints, and others. The prices was a little steep, but less so than 42099 as a whole. Also got some of the new panels from 42098. If you are interested in the new parts, but not the full set, check it out.

59 minutes ago, rm8 said:

Well, hope this was not useless work and lost resources:) 

I always watch your videos, even if i can't understand any word... So translation is very appreciate. Your experience is very useful for me. 

Thank you! 

(Sorry if i repost the video quoting this post, i'm new here, i tried to eliminate it  but i was not able to do it..) 

10 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

The fun new parts, with the exception of the electronics, are now on Pick a Brick through Lego Shop at Home. Just ordered the hubs, CV joints, and others. The prices was a little steep, but less so than 42099 as a whole. Also got some of the new panels from 42098. If you are interested in the new parts, but not the full set, check it out.

Those prices look not too bad, was expecting much worse, mind you time they get the NZ site back up and inflate the prices to NZ$ they will be twice that.