52 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Because destroying Lego sets is an effective marketing tool

No it isn't... its perceived to be by marketeers. Effective marketing is showing the features of your product in a way that makes people want it. Thats not what this is doing... its the orange rimmed spectacle wearing, blue shoe laced mob's idea of 'cool'. "How shall be best show off the features of this 100 piece technical Jigsaw with new blue tooth connectivity and 3 axis giro's?"... "Why not throw it off a building!!" "YEA, Hi fives dude"..... It was a poor idea, and shocking that someone who should know better signed off on it.

That will NOT make anyone want to buy. Simple as that, therefore its very ineffective marketing.

It is 'only' Lego, I don't take it personally, and i have it in perspective - and my conclusion is its dumb. Not as dumb as most of the stuff on the 10pm news (perspective) but that doesn't mean its not mindless. And they do deserve smacking with a wet fish.. not for the cost, as thats not relevant here, but just for being dumb enough to think this is good marketing.

31 minutes ago, aol000xw said:

I can still use the old 4.5v motors after 40 years.

And that's because there were no proprietary rechargeable batteries back then, and that's why I'm I'm not a fan of them (the batteries, not the motors).

Lol some AFOLs.  "I am so rational and logical, yet I make up my mind decisively about things I haven't seen or experienced." 

The teaser is 6 seconds.

Smashing up Lego is pretty awesome. 

Aside from the environmental concern about pointless waste.

Otherwise, awesome. 

Edited by andythenorth

A bit different detail; here in Croatia 42099 set is available but 250€ is just to much for my wallet :sad:

Just ordered it from lekekassen.no (norwegian online toy store), NOK 1794 (around €180), including shipping. 

I've just founds Fords new marketing campaign for the 1974 pinto wagon!

I mean, I've never smashed a single Lego model in a YouTube video coughHYPNODISKcough!

8 hours ago, agrof said:

thus setting standards for kids...

Kids aren’t gonna suddenly be driving their Lego sets off great heights...

7 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

No it isn't... its perceived to be by marketeers. Effective marketing is showing the features of your product in a way that makes people want it. Thats not what this is doing... its the orange rimmed spectacle wearing, blue shoe laced mob's idea of 'cool'. "How shall be best show off the features of this 100 piece technical Jigsaw with new blue tooth connectivity and 3 axis giro's?"... "Why not throw it off a building!!" "YEA, Hi fives dude"..... It was a poor idea, and shocking that someone who should know better signed off on it.

That will NOT make anyone want to buy. Simple as that, therefore its very ineffective marketing.

It is 'only' Lego, I don't take it personally, and i have it in perspective - and my conclusion is its dumb. Not as dumb as most of the stuff on the 10pm news (perspective) but that doesn't mean its not mindless. And they do deserve smacking with a wet fish.. not for the cost, as thats not relevant here, but just for being dumb enough to think this is good marketing.

It’s effective marketing because it spreads the Lego name and reinforces brand recognition.

Effective marketing is also showing your Lego doing something cool and different... like exploding in an extreme impact test.

These are basic marketing principles.

Edited by Bartybum

10 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Pump the brakes my man - you're taking a marketing video about a kids' toy personally. I'm in the same position as you, but you don't see me getting upset that I can't afford it.

I get the vibe that much of the sentiment against this video is people just getting insecure and perceiving it as someone not valuing their hobby as much as they do.

It might be worth for some of you to step back and put things into perspective my dudes.

- Yes, I take it personally, otherwise I wouldn't be here to comment... I thought commercials are ment to be taken personal, otherwise they are pointless, as they don't serve their purpose.

- I never said I can't afford it, I said it cost a lot of manhours to afford it. And by doing what they did, they got me not teased, but offended personaly alright, along with all my so-called insecurities, spot on. But sadly, the main problem, that I have, are not tears in my eyes, or that my belly hurts after seing this horrid teaser, but that I am hipocritical to myself and I am still going to buy one, no matter how offended I may feel.

-After pumping my brakes hard, taking a loooong step back and putting matters into perspective, I came to a relieaving conclusion: You can smack a lot more than just one man with only one fish. If it's fresh, of course.

Enjoy the whole video, when it's out,... dude!

Edited by MajklSpajkl

34 minutes ago, MajklSpajkl said:

- Yes, I take it personally, otherwise I wouldn't be here to comment... I thought commercials are ment to be taken personal, otherwise they are pointless, as they don't serve their purpose.

- I never said I can't afford it, I said it cost a lot of manhours to afford it. And by doing what they did, they got me not teased, but offended personaly alright, along with all my so-called insecurities, spot on. But sadly, ehe main problem that I have, are not tears in my eyes, or that my belly hurts after seing this horrid teaser, but that I am hipocritical to myself and I am still going to buy one, no matter how offended I may feel.

-After pumping my brakes hard, taking a loooong step back and putting matters into perspective, I came to a relieaving conclusion: You can smack a lot more than just one man with only one fish. If it's fresh, of course.

Enjoy the whole video, when it's out,... dude!

Oof :look:

- Depends on the commercial. Some are meant to be analysed and thought about, while others are meant to just be watched and taken at face value. I’d argue that an ad about a toy dubbed the “X-TREME OFF-ROADER” (can practically taste the testosterone in the air) exploding into bits falls squarely in the latter, and that anyone looking deeper into it might have better things to direct their energy at.

- I’m assuming this is sarcasm, so there really isn’t much to say other than yeah, you sounded offended.

Edited by Bartybum

8 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Kids aren’t gonna suddenly be driving their Lego sets off great heights...

Actually, yes, it can be an immediate effect (kids climb on house roof to drop toys to reproduce the video), but implementation for sure.

We are adults, and we can already distinguish things a bit (not all of us), but kids (not all of them luckily) are more vulnerable due to lack of knowledge, social inputs, etc. To get the attention they need to raise confidence and personality, the message is here: there is nothing wrong to destroy things, making facebook live while driving, hurt somebody, and whats next to trigger the audience? This is the negative effect which can escalate when spreading such messages, and sad to see that TLG stepped on this questionable road of being hero - even if this might be a single step.

I think we can agree, that the teaser / commercial did generate feelings for each of us, for some it is acceptable, for many it is controversial  or even counterproductive.

To me: luckily there is still a lot of inspirational channels and products with real value out there, I will keep my focus on those.

Edited by agrof

Okay guys, do you want to continue discussing the video? If so, I can split the topic into a different one.

If not, let's get back to the actual set.

9 minutes ago, Jim said:

Okay guys, do you want to continue discussing the video? If so, I can split the topic into a different one.

42099! I've noticed that a couple of orange parts from 42088 appear in the chassis, including this.

2 hours ago, Jim said:

We can move on now... I feel better :wink:

Just now, MajklSpajkl said:

We can move on now... I feel better :wink:

Hehe

If you all like to continue the discussion, I am cool with it too btw :tongue:

Just picked this set up yesterday, some of the new parts are neat (hubs, wire clips, etc).

Just not sold on the Control+ unit, if it's ok to mention in this thread. On a more technical/programmable front, it seems... closed. Like, if I want to use those motors or hub in a MOC, not sure if that's possible? The hub seems to be controllable with only the app. Would be interesting to see if anyone has got a PC connected to it, like the EV3.

So I'll ever only be able to drive those motors with the app, which seems to be specific to this set and the Liebherr when it's released. Sure, you could build something of your own, but will still show as the 4x4 in the app.

I've been having a play with trying to connect the new motors to power functions (which means sbrick/pfx/buwizz) had a little luck, but you'll lose the tacho sensing stuff (my guess the extra two wires), which I think these motors have.

Anyways, that's a bit off topic, liking the set so far though!

Edited by MT09
Spelling correction.

10 minutes ago, MT09 said:

Just picked this set up yesterday, some of the new parts are neat (hubs, wire clips, etc).

Just not sold on the Control+ unit, if it's ok to mention in this thread. On a more technical/programmable front, it seems... closed. Like, if I want to use those motors or hub in a MOC, not sure if that's possible? The hub seems to be controllable with only the app. Would be interesting to see if anyone has got a PC connected to it, like the EV3.

It operates using Bluetooth, so that's a starting point.

@MT09 Control+ is only the name for the app created for the Technic sets. Not sure why TLG choose to introduce another name, but in reality it shares the same protocol with the previously released Powered Up components, the Boost parts and also Spike Prime which is an educational line coming next year. The aim of the dev team is to have the Powered Up app as the central "hub" that will be able to control all components. The app is constantly evolving so it's not quite there yet, as a first step hopefully it'll be updated soon with support to the new 4 port hub and the motors.

Since the protocol is open there are already multiple applications that can control the Powered Up components, like the great BrickController 2 app (can control PU/PF/SBrick/BuWizz) that supports already the new hub or for desktop there's the Brick Automation Project (aimed mostly for train layouts). As far as I know the SBrick app will be also able to control the PU components soon and I'm sure more will follow, so there's an expanding 3rd party support.

Wow, it looks like it was NOT just a stupid DROP DOWN! It was a drivers mistake))))

Thanks @kbalage my knowledge of powered up is weak, so i need to investigate that if that will be the central hub for everything. Would it be correct to say that Control + is the set-specific flavour app and PU is none set specific and will hopefully be able to control moc's at some point?

@TeamThrifty yes that pretty much sums it up, although the PU app also has set-specific controls for the trains and the Batmobile but that'll be the one containing the custom(isable) interface as well.

Oops driver accident, it was high up much taller version of the b model 42042 ?

Sorry Jim could not help myself

Edited by ctx1769

Why was the track downhill and not uphill?????

Edited by syclone

Just now, syclone said:

Why was the track downhill and not uphill?????

because  not a crawler

27 minutes ago, rm8 said:

because  not a crawler

Well, then your teaser photos were much more suitable anyways :snicker: 

In regards of the first teaser video, LDD has a feature that allows you to "explode" a model...

Edited by syclone

40 minutes ago, rm8 said:

Wow, it looks like it was NOT just a stupid DROP DOWN! It was a drivers mistake))))

Well, now I'm blushing, just a little. :blush: They just might make it up to me...

(Teaser was still a pisser :hmpf_bad:)