Just now, I_Igor said:

...or I have misunderstood your post...

Let's meet halfway :laugh:

1 minute ago, Jim said:

Let's meet halfway :laugh:

This is a compromise we could live with :thumbup:

1 hour ago, vectormatic said:

both pendular and independent suspension, is there any good reason for this? (in terms of off road capabilites), 

Pendular for slow extrem crossing, but it's too eavy for fast riding, it will not move. So independant for the fastness. This design is good for extrem crosser which can go fast. If it is actualy slow, then it is just for the look.

1PU vs PF.  

PU has a battery with built-in Bluetooth. 

PU has Smaller connections.

Wire grips also compatible with PF.

Range of Bluetooth 4 is 66m vs infra-red is 10m (bad problems with sunlight).

PU motors do seem better shaped.

PF needs separate controller and infra-red receiver. 

As a 51 year old PF user, I welcome the new system which I will keep separate until TLG introduces a cross over connector.  I was brought up using both imperial and metric systems, so I can easily adapt between migrating systems, so no complaints. 

STAY CALM AND BUILD LEGO.

9 hours ago, ctx1769 said:

Range of Bluetooth 4 is 66m vs infra-red is 10m (bad problems with sunlight).

Oh shit I can steal my neighbours' Lego. BLESS

According shop.lego.com (https://shop.lego.com/en-NL/product/4X4-X-treme-Off-Roader-42099) the smart hub includes 3-axis gyro and 3-axis accelerometer sensors. Of course, the gyro ability was known from the videos that TLG issued, though at least for me it wasn't clear this was 3-axis.

The added accelerometer sensors mean that in principle you could build an inertial guidance system for your models.

7 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

That's a good start, but for that to be complete you'd also need a compass.

There is no need for a compass because there is a 3-axis gyro. You can use integration to track both position and rotation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_measurement_unit

It probably wouldn't be very accurate but an interesting project at least.

11 hours ago, skppo said:

There is no need for a compass because there is a 3-axis gyro. You can use integration to track both position and rotation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_measurement_unit

It probably wouldn't be very accurate but an interesting project at least.

My thought exactly. With the 3-axis gyro it should also be possible to program self balancing systems such as gun stabilisation on tanks or battleships.

Or more challenging; a self balancing unicycle. Though in that case you might also need the output of the accelerometer sensors to keep such a meta-stable system balanced.

Available today for sale in NZ at Toyco for NZ$419 (no discount). So cheaper than 42082 was ($499). Lot of $ for the pieces. (42097 and 42098 also available, at 20% off). It'll likely be available with a 20 or 25% discount there before end of year.

umm so I just got this today in NZ.

I just learnt the app is not out yet?  wth, I was hoping to have it running this weekend.

gr9JVb4.jpg

Edited by jabz10

As was stated many times in many places already, the set was supposed to become available only on the 1st of August. The problem is that some stores wanted to jump the gun and start selling it ahead of time, regardless of everything being ready or not.

It's not really the fault of consumers, who see a product on the shelf and buy it as usual, but of the stores.

55 minutes ago, jabz10 said:

umm so I just got this today in NZ.

I just learnt the app is not out yet?  wth, I was hoping to have it running this weekend.

Can you please post some images of building front axle (of course if it is allowed before August)?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Can you please post some images of building front axle (of course if it is allowed before August)?

It is allowed for everyone who purchases the set, only not allowed for the ones who got the set for review from TLG.

4 minutes ago, kbalage said:

It is allowed for everyone who purchases the set, only not allowed for the ones who got the set for review from TLG.

Thanks for info :sweet:

Pretty much every store in NZ has it available. One for 15% off already. 20% off the other two sets. Usually we're usually behind the rest of the world e.g. we only got the Mustang about two months ago.

I'll wait for 25% off :)

13 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Thanks

Not sure what specific pages you want but I’ll post my progress

https://imgur.com/gallery/6a3VGdP

https://imgur.com/gallery/vftJzhg

edit:  Here’s some more.

https://imgur.com/gallery/KepaR9D

ok back to building the thing :D

Edited by jabz10

Well thats no good, putting the wheel hub onto the axel, I managed to pull the assembled part of the axel out a bit so one of the differential cogs dislodged. I put it back in ok, however once it was together,  I tested it..

and the differential cog fell out again, then the rest followed.  Differential design Seems a bit flimsy..

Pic of having to pull it apart again to get at the diff.

LLrPk1s.jpg

Edited by jabz10

Thanks @jabz10, I was wondering how it looks for first 25-30 steps; how was made that differential area is stiff enough to prevent what happens to you ...

3 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Thanks @jabz10, I was wondering how it looks for first 25-30 steps; how was made that differential area is stiff enough to prevent what happens to you ...

I've finished the front axel assembly and its much sturdier when everything is inplace.

Here are the first 30 steps

https://imgur.com/gallery/7xrCSmV

So are the red spring sturdier than the yellow ? Why are the hub driven by the right and the left side ?