1 hour ago, syclone said:

:roflmao: You can get a MISB 9398 AND still have at least 30$ left for this price. Or get a used 9398 and upgrade it w/ BuWizz lmao.

9398's RRP was 200$ in 2012, that's around 225$ today, IMHO the added functionality of Powered Up is worth 25$. 

5 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Here's what you gain with Powered Up versus Power Functions:

1. Bluetooth range and resistance to sunlight.

And here are the downsides of Powered Up

1. No ability to stack motors.
  2. No backwards compatability
  3. More expensive parts
  4. Larger, bulkier motors, especially considering the fact that they also apparently have lower power.
  5. No physical controller.
  6. Bulkier receiver/control module
  7. Unneeded/unwanted extra features.

Let's imagine Lego would release a Bluetooth RC unit in the size of SBrick to replace the IR receiver, everything else stays the same. I'm 100% sure we'd see the following complaints:

- TLG is only running behind the competition, total lack of innovation!
- SBrick supports sensors, why don't you support them?
- SBrick has programmable sequences, where are they?
- This unit is more expensive than the IR receiver!
- Why can't you put the receiver together with the battery box? In case if it is integrated, why can't we have the separate receiver?
- BT phone control is rubbish! (But SBrick and BuWizz are still better!)

Right now I think my sole desire for 42099 lies entirely in those new hubs :wub:. Can I justify the price of the set just for those when I can wait a while and get them off bricklink? I could buy 8 hubs and build my first tatra truck! With the state Control+ appears to be in right now I think bricklink is the best option. I like the potential that Control+ has to offer, but right now there's no sign that I can make my own custom control layouts. So I may wait to see how much customisation the control app has to offer and also the actual performance of the new motors and hubs (which I still think is being heavily hindered by the models gearing). Can the hubs output more power per port than other options? What is the overall mechanical output power of the new motors? RPM alone doesn't tell you this. I hope reviewers can answer these. Perhaps the Control+ elements should have their own in depth review. 

Anyone noticed that the sets which feature these tyres are getting progressively smaller in terms of part count? 42054: 1977 parts, 42070: 1862, 42081: 1167 and now 42099 with 958. I wonder what's next...

I'm really digging the creative marketing that went into the set's description, on the LEGO product page: "...truck comes with high-rise independent suspension, large wheels with chunky tires and a fresh color scheme with intricate sticker detailing" In other words, "we mess up your use of these parts in your MOCs with not only a new technic color scheme, but you can't use the parts anyway because they have stickers all over them" :laugh:

I'll end up buying the set anyway.

On 7/1/2019 at 12:13 PM, Jim said:

Mark my words :wink:

Unmark my words. Apparently TLG has provided reviewers with a demo version of the app. So we will get proper reviews after all.

Well if they get late to the party, don't bring anything new to the table and provide way less power that the competition while using the same kind of weak motors.... what are we getting besides the cost to get into a new ecosystem?

32 minutes ago, JGW3000 said:

"we mess up your use of these parts in your MOCs with not only a new technic color scheme, but you can't use the parts anyway because they have stickers all over them" :laugh:

Yeah, yet another Technic colour is bah, especially when not all moulds exist in the "regular" colours. I'll buy one, won't put any stickers on it, and the bright orange parts will probably sit in the bins together with the very light bluish grey ones I have from my NXT set.

9 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Yeah, yet another Technic colour is bah, especially when not all moulds exist in the "regular" colours. I'll buy one, won't put any stickers on it, and the bright orange parts will probably sit in the bins together with the very light bluish grey ones I have from my NXT set.

I reckon the new color will be used more in the future. It's more appealing than the regular orange, so I assume TLG has plans with it. 
(It's the orange/yellow dark azure counter part)

I agree with the VLBG parts though :laugh:

8 hours ago, Jim said:

I reckon the new color will be used more in the future. It's more appealing than the regular orange, so I assume TLG has plans with it.

Oh absolutely. They’d be mad not to.

8 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Oh absolutely. They’d be mad not to.

They could do some pretty awesome things with it. It'd be a great upgrade from regular yellow for heavy machinery.

6 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

They could do some pretty awesome things with it. It'd be a great upgrade from regular yellow for heavy machinery.

That makes me reminded of possible a backhoe in future 

1 hour ago, Technicallism said:

That makes me reminded of possible a backhoe in future 

That'd be good. Haven't seen one in a while.

Anyway, 42099! It's neither orange nor yellow and connects to your mini-fridge. Discuss.

I see its now listed as coming soon on the Lego Website hopefully review copies will be seen soon :excited:

1 hour ago, Cardboy said:

I see its now listed as coming soon on the Lego Website hopefully review copies will be seen soon :excited:

Well, @Sariel is doing his review on the 1st of August.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Well, @Sariel is doing his review on the 1st of August.

Yup. All reviews will be posted the 1st of August.

10 minutes ago, kbalage said:

No problems, 42097 and 42098 had a different date. 42099 will come later.

I was hoping...you know :wink:

Might have been mentioned here already, but after looking at the pics on S@H, i found the front has some weird cross-over form of both pendular and independent suspension, is there any good reason for this? (in terms of off road capabilites), or is this simply lego designing something weird to be more impressive?

As for new orange, and it getting used in future sets, might i mention 42039's bright green? Also, with 42093 using regular orange....

20 minutes ago, Jim said:

What I meant to say was "all reviews for the 42099 will be posted the 1st of Aug". My bad.

...or I have misunderstood your post...