I just realized the new Wheel Hubs could also be used to extremely effectively gear down other functions, a (was it 1:5?) gear down in such a small package is pretty sweet.

2 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I just realized the new Wheel Hubs could also be used to extremely effectively gear down other functions, a (was it 1:5?) gear down in such a small package is pretty sweet.

Exactly - just add a couple of pulleys from one side as an adapter from wheel hub to axle and a new CV joint from another side.

30 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Exactly - just add a couple of pulleys from one side as an adapter from wheel hub to axle and a new CV joint from another side.

I wonder if there is any other way to couple axle and hub from CV-joint side. CV-joint is quite long to use as axle adapter.

I wonder if the new female CV joint also accepts a technic ball joint. Maybe by design or just co-incidentally. Only @Zerobricks can tell us

Edited by SNIPE

2 hours ago, SNIPE said:

I wonder if the new female CV joint also accepts a technic ball joint. Maybe by design or just co-incidentally. Only @Zerobricks can tell us

The answer is a simple no. The ball is much bigger and also has a groove. 

Edited by merman

6 hours ago, merman said:

Have you tried actually connecting the real parts together...

On 7/5/2019 at 9:14 PM, merman said:

I am talking about the female part of the new CV joint. which is not a ball, it is a socket.  Therefore maybe a technic ball may fit into it eq5agUo.png

49 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

I am talking about the female part of the new CV joint. which is not a ball, it is a socket.  Therefore maybe a technic ball may fit into it eq5agUo.png

No, it does not, trust me.

3 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

No, it does not, trust me.

trust done!

Edited by SNIPE

Being myself a Technic newbie and also only for a few years now back as AFOL I am quite very happy about the overall condition of the 4x4 Offroader. I have neither many PF (less then ever PU or boost motors) nor a Buwizz. I invested in the Supersonic RC with RC Module and two Buggy motors (which I am so proud of) for 180€ like new. Also I am not able to pay for many sets over one year. (1000€ for all lego stuff in 1 year)

Looking back the years where Technic was not that attractive for new members I am very very happy of the release of this Crawler. Its a chance for me to get 'cheap' on a RC system. (in fact everything I would buy atm would be a starter set for me). I wanted to buy 9398 but it has horrendous prices I will not pay. The qualities of 42099 are IMAO:

• It look's fantastic!
  • It's a good starter set for the new gen Motors. 
  • The colors are very nice and put in a good accent. Very many black pieces.
  • It look's fantastic!
  • The planetary gear.
  • Its expensive BUT: 9398 with 1327 pieces for 200$ was not that cheaper... (15ct vs. 23ct). And there was no complex hub. Its anyway too expensive. And the 9398 is understood as a good set as far as i got it and is today even more expensive. 

Also pieces are a big problem for me. Not the normal pieces. They are not expensive. I talk about springs, wheels and tires, gearbloks. Everything you need  to built a car but not everyone has! When I want to buy a moc I have to pay dozens of euros for each piece. It is so annoying for me. In this set i pay 23 cents for each part. This is so much more cheaper for me than anything else.

I think Lego did a very good job on this Set. It is needed. I am so happy that they released it. Now I am able to bring up my own powered Lego collection and can talk with the big guys. Which was not able for me for the last 6 years because there was literally no offroader. It looks very cool, it is slow but it works. This can also be a problem of the Batteries used and the hub. I think the motors can do more. Compared to the maximum climb angle for real cars according to its simplified structure its enough for me. 

Take this part not that serious, i just don't want to let it unmentioned:
I am sad about the fact that people are know bringing a shadow over this set by complaining about it and say that this will come in reviews. I have nothing about everyone expressing its opinion which is important for improving the car at home. But for reviews it is important to be scientific and realistic for the size, power and purpose of this set.

I can't remember a lego set RC car which was so much better in performance in the past except of 9398. (Buggy motors not included). I see this problem with the hub which does not give enough power and stalls to fast. The power cutoff is not to fast. It is appropriate to save the motors. Even if I look at the Buggy motors slow output I can say today: "Hey, it could be stronger."

But what is realistic and what are just unjustified whishes. This is the question I ask myself about the 42099 4x4 Extreme Off-Roader.

And I think it is important that we see this car as a start of a new era of cool cars and offrad vehicles in Technic and not as an reason to rant on Lego. We have to say them that this is what we want. (At least I want it :P)

I would like to ask anyone who reviews this set to try out different gearing between the motor and the differential to see how much (if at all) this improves it's crawling capabilities, as those 2 stages of 20:12 upgearing is going to be very inefficient, and I'm guessing this was done because kids would complain that it's too slow. But an RC crawler is supposed to be slow and the fact that it looks so easy to swap those gears for different gearing looks as though it's at least worth trying in a review. Of course, test it as it says in the instructions first, but try different gearing afterwards. I think this set has more potential than what the current gearing allows to be seen.

Someone commented that it is better to gear up at this stage to prevent damage to the differential and CV joints. That is a fair point but the PU XL motors are much closer to the PF L motors in terms of speed and torque characteristics. And while a PF XL motor really is geared too slow and has a bit too much torque for the diff and current (old) CV joints to safely handle, I don't think this will be the case when using the new PU XL motor which is more like an L motor with built in encoder than an XL motor. Plus we also have new stronger CV joints and a 5.5:1 reduction in the hubs. So I think a 1:1 gearing from the motor to the differential will probably be fine. Besides we've had at least 2 heavier flagships that were driven by the slower and torqueier....torquier....(it has more torque!) PF XL motor with a 1:1 gearing between the XL and a differential already so TLG doesn't seem to think it's a problem. 

Edited by allanp

1 hour ago, allanp said:

torqueier....torquier....(it has more torque!)

Even if a fellow UK master has problems with spelling such words I am finally not ashamed for my english! :D 

18 minutes ago, Robin_IV said:

Even if a fellow UK master has problems with spelling such words I am finally not ashamed for my english! :D 

Apparently torquier is correct but my spell check thingy says it isn't :laugh: . And don't worry, my German is würstchen im schlafrock !

Kein kommentar...:hmpf_bad:

...and now BTE (Back To English)...

Edited by I_Igor

Do we know how are the planetary gears build in side of this model? Somebody was mentioning metal parts as one suggestion.

3 hours ago, Gzynek2323 said:

Do we know how are the planetary gears build in side of this model? Somebody was mentioning metal parts as one suggestion.

In wheels hub is planetary reduction with lubricated gears. Best answer could give you @Zerobricks

14 hours ago, Robin_IV said:

I am sad about the fact that people are know bringing a shadow over this set

Very very well said. Sometimes the amount of negativity on the forum is terrible. If it wasn't an Afol community, you'd swear some were 7 yr olds have a tantrum...! 

Constructive objective opinions should be (and are) welcomed, its not about agreeing, and debate is healthy.... but sometimes, some people?! Wow. Unrealistic expectations of having perfection served up to them.

2 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

Unrealistic expectations of having perfection served up to them

Such as?

5 hours ago, I_Igor said:

In wheels hub is planetary reduction with lubricated gears. Best answer could give you @Zerobricks

Appreciate the guidance.  This is exactly what makes this forum so useful, it's the users that take their time. Thanks