Has anyone else noticed that the new cv joints, female joint specifically, is 4L total length rather than 3L total length? If this is the case it will make compact suspension as seen in the 42077 and 42093 difficult. I hope they release a 3L female joint down the line soon. 

If I were on the team I’d suggest high strength modular attachments to the motors, like a planetary reduction option (or two) and one with no reduction. That way you can use one motor in multiple models that serve very different purposes. This feels like a missed opportunity for sure. 

Edited by z3_2drive

18 minutes ago, z3_2drive said:

If I were on the team I’d suggest high strength modular attachments to the motors, like a planetary reduction option (or two) and one with no reduction. That way you can use one motor in multiple models that serve very different purposes. This feels like a missed opportunity for sure. 

That's what I'd like to see. Separate the motor and internal gearing into separate units giving us the option to use use it (or not use it) in a way that best suits the model.

As an off-road-focused builder, I am super excited about these new parts, especially the planetary hubs and possibility of a high speed motor output. LEGO U-joints and CV-joints are undoubtedly the weak link in any well-built off-road MOC. I spent months redesigning the front driven axle of my Rocket crawler simply because LEGO U-joints couldn’t handle moderate torque and custom planetary hubs were way too large. 

Something interesting I noticed in the video was when they put the 4x4 on the ground at first and the steering motor turned or calibrated the wheels - it moved so quick and with lots of power. It reminded me of an actual RC servo motor.

I think this set is a must for anyone who enjoys off-road building. 

51 minutes ago, z3_2drive said:

I’d suggest high strength modular attachments to the motors, like a planetary reduction option

Such as this?

x186.png

45 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Such as this?

Ha! i'd forgotten about that from my youth... the original planetary reduction!! There are no new ideas....

43 minutes ago, agrof said:

Am i just being optimistic, or is the available working angle on this new cv joint much better than the old one? 

If it is, we need new hubs to make use of it...

22 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

Am i just being optimistic, or is the available working angle on this new cv joint much better than the old one? 

If it is, we need new hubs to make use of it...

I managed to tried the CV joint angle. It can go up to some 40 degrees, but at such high angles there is quite some friction to overcome due to the sliding surfaces. It works reasonably smooth up to 30 degrees. But the plastic of the male part is quite soft and I noticed some scratches on the inner guides after playing with the joint by my hand...

I'm sad now...

I'll probably mainly use the planetary's inboard rather than in the hubs... though in a new Xerion 30 degrees would be enough to use them as hubs. Mmmm Maybe not all is lost!! Thanks for the info!

Also, gear ratio of the hub is not 1:5 but more close to 1:5,5. It feels very well lubricated and very well fixed.

32 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

I managed to tried the CV joint angle. It can go up to some 40 degrees, but at such high angles there is quite some friction to overcome due to the sliding surfaces. It works reasonably smooth up to 30 degrees. But the plastic of the male part is quite soft and I noticed some scratches on the inner guides after playing with the joint by my hand...

I tested the hubs with an RC motor and after a few minutes the CV joints seems to have "break in" and there is now much less friction, even at high angle of around 40 degrees :thumbup:

25 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Do you think some silicone grease on the cv might improve on the perfomance? By the way how strong is the cv connection? It clicks in I suppose...

2 minutes ago, Attika said:

Do you think some silicone grease on the cv might improve on the perfomance? By the way how strong is the cv connection? It clicks in I suppose...

I think the tolerances are a bit tight, but after first use they run smooth. Connection is very strong, I'd compare it to a ball joint.

Just now, Zerobricks said:

I think the tolerances are a bit tight, but after first use they run smooth. Connection is very strong, I'd compare it to a ball joint.

That is promising. Thank you. 

That is great news. Do you think these new hubs/joints could be used in a trailing  arm style suspension? Also I’m curious if the hub is just another bushing design or if there is a bearing involved.

54 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

I tested the hubs with an RC motor and after a few minutes the CV joints seems to have "break in" and there is now much less friction, even at high angle of around 40 degrees

That sounds great news, 40 degrees is respectable.. just need to see some pricing and hope for a decent retailer discount to offset the cost a bit. Exciting times!

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

4 hours ago, AVCampos said:

Such as this?

x186.png

Yes exactly like that, perhaps with a few pin holes (or even pins moulded directly into the housing) so it can be easily pinned to the front of an ungeared motor, so a studless version if you will. Combined with a motor that has very little to no internal gearing (>2000 rpm) and this will allow for more options, like easy and simplistic for younger builders, or more advanced totally custom gearing for more advanced sets. But I don't mean to sound so negative. I really am very exited for the new planetary gear hubs, they are a very nice and unexpected surprise and TLG deserves and huge THANK YOU for such a nice new element :thumbup:.

Edited by allanp

4 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Also, gear ratio of the hub is not 1:5 but more close to 1:5,5. It feels very well lubricated and very well fixed.

Do you already have 42099 or the parts only?

I am very curious, thank you for information. Can you confirm that an axle can be insert through the new hub?

I am also interested if an axle will slide in LBG-part of the new CV-joint without friction or not.

Edited by Limga

1 hour ago, Limga said:

I am very curious, thank you for information. Can you confirm that an axle can be insert through the new hub?

I am also interested if an axle will slide in LBG-part of the new CV-joint without friction or not.

Axle can't be inserted through hub, you can only drive it with the new CV joint which has friction and axle can be inserted only 1 stud deep.

Axle can't be inserted through hub, you can only drive it with the new CV joint which has friction and axle can be inserted only 1 stud deep. 

So we won't be able to used it in the same way as current CV joints? I mean the axle has no possibility to move inside the connector?

14 hours ago, PunkTacoNYC said:

As an off-road-focused builder, I am super excited about these new parts, especially the planetary hubs and possibility of a high speed motor output. LEGO U-joints and CV-joints are undoubtedly the weak link in any well-built off-road MOC. I spent months redesigning the front driven axle of my Rocket crawler simply because LEGO U-joints couldn’t handle moderate torque and custom planetary hubs were way too large. 

Actually, I don’t think that customary planetary hubs are too large at all.  In fact, they kinda bring me to my thinking on this set should I chose to purchase it.  The portal wheel hubs however do make applying custom planetary gear hubs difficult. 

I know I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but I will likely almost always advocate for third-party tires – and it is the same for this set.  Though the Claas tires are in improvement over the old, large balloon tires, they are still Lego tires.  They are not soft, not sticky.  They do not compress at all.  Tread is only one part of the goal of good off-road tires.  Other complimentary pieces are stickiness and ability to bend and mold to rocks, surface, etc. 

With that in mind, I wonder with the ground clearance if 2.2 tires cannot be used.  If the portal hubs are not needed then a  custom planetary gear system in the hubs is easy.  This is what I did with a crawler of mine years ago and it worked great.  I actually think the speed for 42099 shown in the videos is still too fast.  I would avoid the gearing up in the drive train if I purchase it.  Or gear it down further with custom P. gears in the hubs and use 2.2 tires. 

So for this set I believe were getting the following can anyone confirm?

4 Hubs
8 CV joints with axel socket
4 CV joints with axels
2 inline clutches
2 maybe more "biscuits"

also if some one knows if there will be any 28z Gears?

Maybe some 7x11 frames? Those are present in SPIKE Prime and the Liebherr, so they could also be here. The 11x15 frame might be too big for this set, though.