The two motors debuting with Control+ have encoders, which means they can act as servos.

I’m liking the look of this. And a good way to get the new hub and motors. Still hoping for a pack of conversion cables too for the existing motors and lights

1 minute ago, Seasider said:

Still hoping for a pack of conversion cables too for the existing motors and lights

It was stated in interviews that TLG is considering this, but they still don't know how exactly to do it, because of the wide range of (often conflicting) functionalities fans would expect from it.

Do we know if there are at least extension cables for the new motors other wise your hub is going to have to be in the middle?

At least publicly revealed, no.

The only component not yet present in announced products is the "dumb" battery box, which has the same shape as the Control+ hub, but no Bluetooth connectivity. I suspect it'll fill the same niche as the previous PF AA box, in a successor to the 8293 and in some motorised Technic sets.

10 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

That's not really yellow or orange is it? Another new set, another new color.

I know we live in the age of sensations but come on, judging the colour based on one photo of a catalogue?

This set looks like something I will buy. Black wheels, red shock absorbers and the orange + black colour scheme is a win in my book.

A question to anyone who "keeps track" of which panel was released in which colour.

Looking at the picture, would it be possible to recreate orange part of the truck in dark blue? 

I do have 41999 and I am wondering if I could recreate it with whatever was released after 41999.

I think I figured out how the hubs are designed!!!

800x424.jpg

The ball joints are FIXED to the hub in order to accommodate the new larger CV/Cardan joint.

In order to use the hub for rear suspension you simply rotate it 90 degrees so what were the steering arms before hold the weight.

Also, I'm working on a replica :wink:

1280x678.jpg

Edited by Zerobricks

16 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

I think @Zerobricks you solved mystery :thumbup:

That makes sense; new hubs but without gear reduction.

They DO have gear reduction inside, they are planatery hubs, and they are 1 stud wider than normal ones to accomodate the additional gears.

4 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

They DO have gear reduction inside, they are planatery hubs, and they are 1 stud wider than normal ones to accomodate the additional gears.

I very much hope you are right. Again, not getting hopes too high but it will be the deciding factor for me. I don't see any gearing before the half shafts, as there was with the old crawler. I wouldn't really trust regular plastic axles and universal joints to drive those big wheels with no reduction afterwards and the current differentials can handle as much torque as a wet tissue. There surely must be some gear reduction in the hub unless everything else has been massively upgraded.

1 hour ago, Zerobricks said:

I hope you are right my friend

I am very interested in this small Control+ box and the big motors. How will they perform? I hope they have enough speed (1500rpm?) or power to build a fast buggy.
To be honest i'm a bit disappointed about the shock absorbers. Could be bigger (9L) imao. But I can see that there has to be space for movement of the axle as well so the choice of the small ones is realistic.
What do we know about the tire and the rims? (I'm not so much in technic.)

Just now, Akbalder said:

Will it be usable without a phone too

I dont think so. At least not on the official way. A customary remote control is analog (i think this is what you mean with other than an smartphone). It sends the signal and the receiver just get it and interpret the commands. It does not check if the signal was complete or not. Bluetooth is a digital data transfer. The reciever checks if the data package is complete and then convert it into control commands. The problem is that the Control+ receiver just accept this digital way. It has no atenna for analog signals. Also Bluetooth has a dedicatet frequency range. What you need is a converter. Maybe someone knows more.

Sorry. My english lacks of elegance. :(

3 hours ago, allanp said:

I very much hope you are right. Again, not getting hopes too high but it will be the deciding factor for me. I don't see any gearing before the half shafts, as there was with the old crawler. I wouldn't really trust regular plastic axles and universal joints to drive those big wheels with no reduction afterwards and the current differentials can handle as much torque as a wet tissue. There surely must be some gear reduction in the hub unless everything else has been massively upgraded.

Are we sure where will be diffs?  No pro here, but what are the purpose of diffs in extremely slow rock crawlers?  wouldn't that be a bad thing?

Just now, nerdsforprez said:

Are we sure where will be diffs?  No pro here, but what are the purpose of diffs in extremely slow rock crawlers?  wouldn't that be a bad thing?

Protecting the drivetrain in case the crawler hits something, I'm thinking. That would impact its offroad performance though, as we saw in 42070's case.

I get the idea with this crawler, I'm just wondering if they could have made the front end a little prettier, like in the 9398...

17 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Protecting the drivetrain in case the crawler hits something, I'm thinking. That would impact its offroad performance though, as we saw in 42070's case.

I guess i am missing something.  Though there is housing around the diff, in terms of Lego the diff is actually weaker than a non-diff. connection (like a 12 and 20 bevel gear connection). So, this can't be the reason.  The diff can't protect anything if it is actually weaker than non-diff connections of the same type. 

1 hour ago, Akbalder said:

Will it be usable without a phone too? In 10 years, I'm not sure that the app will still work.

What I suspect is that in the near future it won't, but support for the physical control that comes with the trains will one day be possible via firmware update.

18 minutes ago, Magical Duck said:

I get the idea with this crawler, I'm just wondering if they could have made the front end a little prettier, like in the 9398...

I guess it is all a matter of taste. I like this front end LOTS more than 9398.  Much more realistic as well.  High wheel wells, minimalist, etc.  If I remember 9398 well, there was quite a bit of bulk in the body.  One of the reasons why it performed so poorly. 

8 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

I guess it is all a matter of taste. I like this front end LOTS more than 9398.  Much more realistic as well.  High wheel wells, minimalist, etc.  If I remember 9398 well, there was quite a bit of bulk in the body.  One of the reasons why it performed so poorly. 

Agree, simpler design is at the same time lighter and more agile. Honestly new crawler is very appealing IMHO, and id there is new hub with reduction as @Zerobricks said it is even more desirable... and I hope that performance is more smooth that 9398

11 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

I guess i am missing something.  Though there is housing around the diff, in terms of Lego the diff is actually weaker than a non-diff. connection (like a 12 and 20 bevel gear connection). So, this can't be the reason.  The diff can't protect anything if it is actually weaker than non-diff connections of the same type. 

The diff spins even if the axles are immobilized.

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

The diff spins even if the axles are immobilized.

Right, event when two wheels on the same axle are locked, one of them is always less locked (it's a physic of our world) so the diff will spin the one that it easier to move. It's a common pain for "offroad" models that poorly performs, but TLG cannot afford using a locked transmission. As I remember it was discussed many times here, at least once per year when another offroad/crawler-like model comes :sceptic:

6 minutes ago, Frequenzberater said:

I hope there will be other functions besides driving and the mandantory winch. 

I think the only functions are driving, steering, suspension and ability to remove the bodywork to acces battery box.