Sign in to follow this  
kelceycoe

Lego World Show 1993 & 1994 Videos

Thanks to Youtube, we have videos of what these shows displayed. Appears they also had boxes and the 1993 had a display of the Pirates line, including sets from 1989!

1993:

1994:

What a blast from the past!  I wish they had spend more time in the 1993 video on the castle area, but that Model Team display was cool, and that little train layout at the end was cute!

Wow, I've been hoping for years that videos like these were out there somewhere! I can't wait to sit down and watch. I LOVe the rocking boat effect with the SES. I wonder if it was an older display that was re-purposed for the '93 sets; it's pretty rare to see the '89 bluecoats sets with the '93 SES.

TC 

3 hours ago, TalonCard said:

Wow, I've been hoping for years that videos like these were out there somewhere! I can't wait to sit down and watch. I LOVe the rocking boat effect with the SES. I wonder if it was an older display that was re-purposed for the '93 sets; it's pretty rare to see the '89 bluecoats sets with the '93 SES.

TC 

In the 1993 Holiday Shop at Home Catalog the sets are listed side by side: http://www.wskel.com/sb/pirates/media/catalogs/1993-us-h.pdf

You can even, hilariously find them in the same model display in the 1993 115585 ?medium booklet (also called catalog). Not only does this appear in the one-sheet 114517-US BUT both blues and reds are listed as Imperial Guards lol. Again in medium booklet/catalog 109183-EU

But in terms of the marketing displays, I imagine it was just something cool LEGO wanted to do, even though historically speaking the French and English were actually enemies for the longest time.

Oh hey, that's cool--I didn't know the Eldorado Fortress was still available in 1993! I remember getting the 1994 US Shop at Home catalog and hoping for a picture of the giant Skull's Eye Schooner, only to be surprised that the Black Seas Barracuda and Forbidden Island were included instead! (I wish I had begged my parents to order them, lol.) Dunno why that ship didn't seem to make it to mail order.

The Imperial forces were always bundled together in catalogs, even when the Armada sets came around. The Imperial Guards have been consistently portrayed as part of the same faction as the earlier Soldiers, so that's understandable from a story perspective at least.

TC