kelceycoe

Lego Pirate Comic: The Unpublished Sequel to The Golden Medallion

You may remember that unusual set with the comic book and two Pirates from long ago, but did you know there were 2 more sequels planned? One is Island of Mist and the unpublished, black and white version has surfaced. TalonCard mentioned this originally in 2016 but it went unnoticed. Nothing is known about the third one.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=546459

I was not aware you had a LEGO pirates fansite - this is great! :thumbup:

I've only had a quick look but it seems "The Golden Sovereign" is not among the names on the list.

Hmm, you're right. I didn't include name. LEGO.COM actually recognizes that name but says it's from another country and didn't specify:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/lego-history/articles/lego-pirates-a81ba1cc2d424808b7c937dd4563f5a7

UPDATE: I realized I had seen that exact same layout in a booklet and after a quick look, this comic is promoted by this name in the medium or so book with Captain Roger / Red Beard overlooking a buried Flashfork. The number for this catalog is 921165-UK. In this catalog the pages appear black and white so I am inferring maybe this was the original name and for whatever reason they changed it. The cover also had a parrot who appears to be talking in a bubble dialogue. It was available in July 1989 at 2.50 (I believe euros). It also appeared in Bricks N Kicks Magazine (UK) Summer 1989. The book on Lego's history site isn't finished as you can tell by the lack of colors. In fact, in the 1989 catalog, it appeared to have a white cover and you can see this weird, unfinished white cover on the box art of the set itself, on the bottom flap where there is a photo of a boy reading the comic book.

By the way, is the female pirate that came in the 1989-1991 Pirates line supposed to be Anne? She looks like the Anne in the LadyBird activity books and story books and Bessie doesn't seem to appear in any sets. But I think people get confused because 1) I swear I seen a catalog somewhere that lists her as Bessie ; 2) Bessie, in the comics, has the same amount of clevage as the minifigure, whereas Anne (presumably very young) was covered; 3) There were two different colored bandanas on the female pirate (she had red in the 1991 Rock Island Refuge) and 4) She was either meant to be just "Lady Pirate" or "a female pirate" in the sets but LadyBird took liberties and gave her the name of Anne and made Bessie her mother (that's an inference).

Edited by kelceycoe

13 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

By the way, is the female pirate that came in the 1989-1991 Pirates line supposed to be Anne? She looks like the Anne in the LadyBird activity books and story books

I'm not aware of any official confirmation regarding the identity of this minifigure however I assumed it was meant to be Anne, or rather the author of the books based the Anne character on the original pirate wench minifigure.

And for those who aren't familiar with what we're referring to, here are some photos/scans.

Lego-PIRATE-FEMALE-Minifigure-With-Blue-Bandana-Vintage-_1.jpg

Anne_Illustration.jpg

Ladybird_Books_Pirates_Bios.jpg

LEGO 6251.jpg

I went ahead and listed her as Anne with a reference to this footnote:

One historical and likely reason for the confusion is because back in 1989 all LEGO minifigures were yellow, therefore, like the Barricuda's figurehead, yellow clothing (or even gold as was used throughout both Castle and Pirate themes; aka gold nuggets in Castle and the gold chalice in the Barricuda) signifies nudity and obviously LEGO wasn't going to do that.

This is why you almost never have seen yellow clothes on a minifigure and 1994's Islanders helped to show that yellow "clothing" is actually their skin.

22 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

This is why you almost never have seen yellow clothes on a minifigure and 1994's Islanders helped to show that yellow "clothing" is actually their skin.

Indeed, and full Yellow legs have been almost never been seen outside of Classic Space :laugh:

Only 1 set in 1998 that came with the LEGO Loco game had a yellow "superhero" suit train guy with yellow legs. (set 2585)

So basicly the recent Benny's Space Squad is the first set with yellow legs in more then 20 years.

Edited by TeriXeri

Not to veer off-topic but if you look at the new Disney Minifigures 2 "Jasmine" figurine, notice the use of her skin tone there, for anyone who is confused as to what we are talking about.

Also, recall "Where's My Pants" Guy from TLM, notice the color of his legs when he is pantless?

Edited by kelceycoe

3 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

Not to veer off-topic but if you look at the new Disney Minifigures 2 "Jasmine" figurine

Errrr... this one..

.LEGO Jasmin #2.jpg

Or this one?

LEGO Jasmin #1.jpg

I'm guessing its the latter...

I was referring to the minifigure and not the doll but both exemplify the skin tone on the torso representing their skin and not the color of their clothes.

3 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

Also, recall "Where's My Pants" Guy from TLM, notice the color of his legs when he is pantless?

Yeah, just like the Paradisa minifigures from the early 90s.

LEGO - Where's My Pants Guy.jpg

17 minutes ago, kelceycoe said:

I was referring to the minifigure and not the doll

"Doll" - that's a great way of describing whatever this is supposed to be :pir_laugh2:

LEGO Jasmin #2.jpg

7 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

"Doll" - that's a great way of describing whatever this is supposed to be :pir_laugh2:

LEGO Jasmin #2.jpg

They're actually called " mini-doll figures " here in the United States lol... what are they called in your country?

Oh and I guess I should have used Flashfork as an example to stay on topic lol...

flashfork.jpg

1 hour ago, kelceycoe said:

They're actually called " mini-doll figures " here in the United States lol... what are they called in your country?

I don't have a clue...  I've mentally filtered them out until this point.

On 5/31/2019 at 9:24 PM, kelceycoe said:

You may remember that unusual set with the comic book and two Pirates from long ago, but did you know there were 2 more sequels planned? One is Island of Mist and the unpublished, black and white version has surfaced. TalonCard mentioned this originally in 2016 but it went unnoticed. Nothing is known about the third one.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=546459

You need to do a better job of attributing your discoveries. I'll admit that 2-6 years is a long time when it comes to the internet and this forum, but please give credit to the fans who did a lot of the legwork in discovering this material a few years back. @Sadie Meowsalot was the one who went to all the trouble of contacting the original author of the comic, Per Sanderhage, and it was through her discussions with him that Island of Mist was discovered--if not for her, no one might have even known it existed, never mind it making its way online for us all to enjoy. That's her Brickshelf album you're linking to, and you've posted a quote from her discussion with Sanderhage from the Rock Raiders United forum on the Books/Comics section of your site without a link or attribution.

You've included @Runamuck's translations as a text file in the Island of Mist download with no direct mention of him either, as far as I can tell, and I see bits of my own posts included in the download file with no attribution or even context. I appreciate the fact that you mentioned me in your post here, but I wasn't involved in this discovery at all. It most certainly did not go "unnoticed", a number of folks who frequent this forum were excited and an entire English translation was made by Runamuck. There was some concern at the time about widely distributing the scans because technically they still belong to LEGO, which is probably why the discussion didn't spill over into Eurobricks as much.

I did notice that you've included an archive of the Rock Raiders United discussion in the download file, so the context for these things is in there somewhere, but this isn't really sufficient attribution. Since the discussion isn't mentioned on the website or directly in the download file, no one would know to go looking for it. I'm hoping that it's just an understandable enthusiasm to share LEGO Pirates material and get it saved in a central location for people on your site that's causing these things to be overlooked. But it doesn't take a lot of work to say something like "According to X user on this forum discussion (insert link here), there was a second comic. The scans originally posted on (link to original site here) can now be downloaded from LEGO Pirates: A Fan's Mania" or "This translation was made by this user and originally posted on this forum."

TC