43 minutes ago, dimaks13 said:

It has same price as Mack.

In France, it's 10€ more expensive than the Mack.

13 hours ago, Akbalder said:

It's more expensive than the Mack truck but it has less pieces and no license!

That makes sense, the Mack truck could well have a subsidy from Mack.

Edited by andythenorth

13 hours ago, andythenorth said:

That makes sense, the Mack truck could well have a subsidy from Mack. 

extremely unlikely imho, in general licensed sets actually cost more, since lego will be paying the brand in order to be allowed to use the design for a set. Generally speaking a lego Mack truck will end up making lego more extra sales then Mack.

I think the pricing differences are most likely down to regional changes in policy. A few years back the VAT in my country was increased, then a few years later lego sets got more expensive then in germany, old sets retained their original price.

And of course currency rates are probably the biggest factor if you are outside the EU and you compare this to a 2 year old set.

7 hours ago, vectormatic said:

extremely unlikely imho, in general licensed sets actually cost more, since lego will be paying the brand in order to be allowed to use the design for a set.

Lego have one of the most valuable brands in the world.  Mack trucks....don't. 

Automotive companies spend £$€millions buying the kind of coverage that partnering with TLG gives them.

But we'll probably never know how licensed Technic works because it will be commercially confidential.  And this speculation derails threads, so I should stop eh :classic:

Edited by andythenorth

2 hours ago, andythenorth said:

Lego have one of the most valuable brands in the world.  Mack trucks....don't. 

Automotive companies spend £$€millions buying the kind of coverage that partnering with TLG gives them.

But we'll probably never know how licensed Technic works because it will be commercially confidential.  And this speculation derails threads, so I should stop eh :classic:

I also believe this is WIN-WIN partnership. Yes, it help TLG to sell more authentical machine toys, but again: so many small banners with your brand around the world - priceless. Just imagine how many offline LEGO shops and online sites will be filled with your brand: Volvo, Mack, BMW, Porsche, Claas, Liebherr, Harley-Davidson and even Bugatti. In my mind LEGO should not pay for that for sure.

27 minutes ago, rm8 said:

I also believe this is WIN-WIN partnership. Yes, it help TLG to sell more authentical machine toys, but again: so many small banners with your brand around the world - priceless. Just imagine how many offline LEGO shops and online sites will be filled with your brand: Volvo, Mack, BMW, Porsche, Claas, Liebherr, Harley-Davidson and even Bugatti. In my mind LEGO should not pay for that for sure.

Given the common geography, I’m sure the Maersk-TLG relationship is a mutual one.

1 minute ago, Anio said:

Review if you are brave enough to read some French

Many times I disagree with the opinions you express in your reviews, but I like reading them anyway (after autotranslating to English). :wink:

Just now, AVCampos said:

Many times I disagree with the opinions you express in your reviews

Thanks.
I take this as a compliment. :laugh:

And Sariel's video is up as well

On 7/12/2019 at 8:40 PM, rm8 said:

For BMW, Porsche and Harley, i can see some win for the companies in having their product in lego form inspiring kids to later buy a sportscar/bike, for Bugatti/Claas? Not even remotely, Bugatti sells exactly as many Chirons as they decide, which is less then there is demand for, and even if they were to produce enough to fullfil demand, the status associated with a Bugatti is a function of totally other factors then toys. For stuff like Volvo/Claas, any business making purchase decisions based on what toy the owner/his son has and enjoyed playing with has some serious decision problems, choices there should be made on how fit for purpose the machine is, not the brand or whether someone has a toy version of it.

Most of the big machinery things sell in lego form because of the awesome real life thing (if Lego made a scale-less non-licensed version of the liebherr, it would somehow be less impressive and cool), so it is definitely lego riding on the coat tails of established brands with broad fanbases (see 42056 selling a LOT to car guys/porsche fans who arent AFOLs)

EDIT:

@kbalage, looks like the RC hotrod has ground clearance issues running up the front ramp, not traction issues.

After seeing the two videos so far, im not really blown away by the set, it is rather fresh and has a lot of interesting features, but looks wise it is all a bit meh, would've been a lot better if they gave the truck some brick built extras (like a proper grill) and the blue car a proper rear. At first i was wondering if i would convert my 42093 to the blue car model, right now i think i might just do the front, as the rear is pretty ugly.

Edited by vectormatic

1 hour ago, vectormatic said:

@kbalage, looks like the RC hotrod has ground clearance issues running up the front ramp, not traction issues.

Since it has problems with ground clearance it looses traction ;) 

You can check autotranslated titles - sometimes it work!:wink:

busy modding this set:

aR3iBvX.png

I added steering drive (with a differential) and pendular suspention to this axle and will do the same for all axles.

Better wheels and more panels around the wheels and sides.

To add differentials to each axle I must raise the trailers lower deck to the same height as the main cabs lower platform. I did this using the same wheels as above for every axle and just moving some beams up.

Current part count of above: 196

Edited by SNIPE

I have built this set lately and I am very pleased with result.
I've made a comparison photo with my tow plow, and 42098 is even bigger that I expected:

80.jpg

Why is the B-model divided in 4 books and the main in only one... 
It would have been more logic to have one digital model to download :sceptic:

Probably, it was done to make the resulting files smaller (better for mobile devices) and have easier navigation as it not a very good UI/UX practice to scroll a very long list (of pages).

I felt kinda bumped to learn that the Hot Rod doesn't use a differential. According to the instruction there is enough space for it and a 20z gear.

The vehicles look really cool, but it's quite unfortunate that the car and van don't load on the decks properly. It feels poorly designed. Not sure if UW designed the B model, because he's so senior he can't possibly design the vehicles like that.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

@kbalage excellent video, thanks for your work!

On topic of the b-model, i think it is pretty disappointing. None of the vehicles in the set looks particularly well designed or even finished. The trucks mid section is too low, and it lacks an engine. The hot-rod lacking a Diff and having a V6 is just odd, and the front looks entirely unfinished, like someone forgot a radiator back in the garage. The van has no obvious problems or faults, but it looks very hodgepodge in terms of parts and colours, a true "b model" vibe.

That said, for 11-16 year old kids, those concerns probably dont really matter as much, and the play value is strong in this set, as long as you arent some overly critical petrolhead who NEEDS his details to match *whistles innocently*

9 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

The van has no obvious problems or faults, but it looks very hodgepodge in terms of parts and colours, a true "b model" vibe.

That's what you get when you have like 10 DBG 3x11 panels left...

It's also disappointing that there's a spare differential when the hot rod and the truck dont have one. I think at the very least the truck should have it, a V6 or V8, and an openable bonnet.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen