22 minutes ago, Anio said:

Doubt it.

Behind the cabin, on the driver side there are two 12z gear knobs. One for HOG steering, one for lowering the flatbed overhead deck. The driver side is shown on the back of the box.

On the passenger side there are no knobs for these two functions. There is only one crank for tilting the cabin which is linked with lifting the cabin overhead deck. The passenger side is shown on the front side of the box.

And the HOG steering knob does not move with the cabin. In other words, when the cabin tilts, the HOG steering is still in the same location. It is fixed to the chassis.

And how do I know? The pictures are clear enough for the stickers on the panels to be legible. There is also a picture that shows the tilted cabin.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Behind the cabin, on the passenger side there are two 20z gear knobs. One for HOG steering, one for lowering the flatbed overhead deck.

I think you are dilusional and need to think again.

TLG produces models that are supposed to be played by kids. So, models have to have a good playing experience.

Just if you drive with the knob you are saying and steer to the left, the 12t will get off and remain in your hand...

Just now, Anio said:

I think you are dilusional ...

Is this really necessary? Please tone it down a bit.

Oh well, the images seem to be final already. He'll change his mind when the pics with no confidential mark come out. I will post them here. No worries.

Or maybe he'll call TLG delusional. That I tend to agree.

The fact that the HOG steering is placed horizontally and accessible on one side only is not really convenient, that I also agree. Steering the model won't be intuitive. 

But it's a necessary compromise. It can't be routed on top because if so it will go through the cabin overhead deck and interfere with a car there. Routing it like the HOG in the Mack will leads to overly complex solution because the cabin tilts. Even the Mercedes Benz 42043 keeps the HOG steering separate from the cabin.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

1 minute ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Oh well, the images seem to be final already. He'll change his mind when the pics with no confidential mark come out. I will post them here. No worries.

Quoted. redface.gif

8 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

So how should I interpret when there's a sticker with a driving wheel points to a 12z knob? :grin:

It's strange. It does show a steering wheel, but it also shows four arrows pointing in different directions. This doesn't coincide with a steering function. But you still could be right though.

@Jim

vbd7aaeik0911.jpg?width=750&auto=webp&s=

/dusted by Anio

On another note,

The three overhead decks have three elastic return-to-defaulr car locking switches that go through rubber 2-stud liftarms on the passenger side. 

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

@Jim I've just thought that, maybe they are not 4 arrows pointing away from the steering wheel. They can be two two-headed arrows along the steering wheel like those below to illustrate the movements of the hands gripping the wheel.

steering.jpg

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

That could very well be the case.

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The fact that the HOG steering is placed horizontally and accessible on one side only is not really convenient, that I also agree. Steering the model won't be intuitive. 

But it's a necessary compromise. It can't be routed on top because if so it will go through the cabin overhead deck and interfere with a car there. Routing it like the HOG in the Mack will leads to overly complex solution because the cabin tilts. Even the Mercedes Benz 42043 keeps the HOG steering separate from the cabin.

Now I'm building a truck, that has a tilting cabin and two steering knobs on the roof.

It was difficult to combine the mechanics inside and under the cabine (there are also v6 motor and two actuators to lift the cabin).

Edited by Yevhen

Seeing the pictures, I can't find any other confortable places for the HoG gear than the mentioned side. Because from above it is blocked by a potential car, and this is the same thing right behind the cab. Unless the transported vehicle is low enough for the gear to be accessed, but then it would be uncomfortable. But time will tell:shrug_oh_well:

One strange thing I notice is that there is no stair to climb to the deck. I wonder why this detail is omitted. :look: Adding another red beam next to the vertical 15L beam and add some sticker denoting steps would suffice already.

Or does the sticker on the tapered 5x11 red panels denote stairs?

I've been working on a skip truck with a very similar cab design. It has a tilting cab and working steering wheel. Although it has hoG and a tilting cabin it is possible to steer the vehicle just fine using the steering wheel in the cab. Maybe a similar solution is being used? Bear in mind that this truck is only a work in progress!

skip_truck_wip_1.jpg

skip_truck_wip_2.jpg

skip_truck_wip_3.jpg

The 24t gear goes to a drop link that controls the steering, due to the front axle being a suspended live axle so it is a little more complicated than the standard fare that'll likely appear in the set.

11 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

That engine looks like a bad idea for a cupholder... :grin:

:laugh::laugh_hard:

If not mentioned before, the truck cabin is 15 studs wide. Due the wheel arche the front is 17 studs wide. The upper deck is 19 studs wide. Without the rails there is a parking space of 17 studs in wide and the 15 studs wide car can fit proberly. Maybe there is a need to collapse the mirrors when parking in the lower deck. It seems that this model is in scale a little bit larger than other trucks with same wheels, like 42024 for example, but the truck should fit this sclale very well, 'cause they are also big and wide in real life.

On 6/3/2019 at 12:24 AM, allanp said:

Although it has hoG and a tilting cabin it is possible to steer the vehicle just fine using the steering wheel in the cab. Maybe a similar solution is being used?

There is no gear or drive axle under the cab.

There is a box shot on the web, search Google for 42098. Has a blue car. No idea if legit

On an image with another angle the truck looks really colored. The trailer is very bulky and 19 studs wide in total. Lifting of each deck is done by gear rack. A new worm gear (introduced 2017) drives the rack like the 42061 telehandler does. This slides the beams holding the decks. The mechanism is the same for truck and trailer.

It's not exclusive to Uwe Wabra: for example, the 8292 Cherry Picker, designed by Nathanaël Kuipers, uses the previous-gen equivalent of the same panel for the doors.

1 hour ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

It is interesting to see how a designer uses his handsign over and over again. The panel as door is used in 9397 as well in 42070

Moreover, the whole cab is very similar to 8041/42041 but with smaller wheels and new L-shape panes at the front.