Any ideas on the pricing of the model ? I am really digging this and the off-roader for my new years purchases :classic:

On 6/18/2019 at 8:37 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I've added official pictures to the first post.

Here are some additional images if this could help

Alfred Pedersen is the designer of this set. The numbers on the boom read 98-18; according to his 2008 Technic bio, Alfred began working at TLG in 1998, and the 18 stands for 2018, which is when this set would have been designed.

10 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Alfred Pedersen is the designer of this set. The numbers on the boom read 98-18; according to his 2008 Technic bio, Alfred began working at TLG in 1998, and the 18 stands for 2018, which is when this set would have been designed.

Or just celebrating his 20th anniversary when he got idea for this set ?

On 6/19/2019 at 11:36 AM, Srdjan5033 said:

Any ideas on the pricing of the model ? I am really digging this and the off-roader for my new years purchases :classic:

Available for preorder on the US S@H website with delivery on 1-Aug.  Price is $99.99

Thanks to @Sariel for the awesome review! (im digging the "if this set was a magic item" bit!)

As for the set, i though it might be possible to link the sway of the outriggers together, but that would mean the angle on all sides is always the same, which isnt what one would want. So the tiresome operation in that respect is logical, although given that the outriggers arent very sturdy, sacrificing ease of use for lifting capacity that is otherwise already compromised is a questionable decision. I think beefing up the mounting points for the outriggers should be easily doable though, which should enhance the lifting capacity of the crane.

I might end up buying one, as i still regret missing out on 42042, even if this is a much less impressive machine, fixing it to permanently lift up some heavier load on display might be cool.

I quite like this set, anyone know what scale this is because if its roughly 1:16, I may have to get this to put on the back of my lorry when it's done. I think this would look sweet chained on a drop-deck trailer.

59 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

As for the set, i though it might be possible to link the sway of the outriggers together, but that would mean the angle on all sides is always the same, which isnt what one would want

Given that the model will sit on a plane most of the time, having four outriggers at the same angle wouldnt be a problem.

Besides, the outriggers are so flimsy that the need to be fully extended to firmly press to the ground. I finished my replica yesterday and experienced this.

In the 42097 mod thread that I started, i suggested a linkage design that extend the outriggers fully together when they are lowered. I put that on my replica and it worked marvellously.

In his review, at 14:24, @Sariel said the function that lifts the upper superstructure seems needless. Now that I have a 42097 replica with me, I can say I disagree with that, as I realize what that function is for.

If you don't pop the superstructure up, when you fully raise the boom and fully extend the outriggers, you can't really rotate the superstructure, as the rear of the boom will be stuck between the two outriggers.

The following picture has the boom when the superstructure is NOT popped up. The boom in the picture already has my MOD for the ratchet and the dual knobs, but if you go with the original setup in the instruction you will still encounter this problem

20190718_025133

This one has the superstructure popped up. Notice the position of the crank.

20190718_025207

47 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

In his review, at 14:24, @Sariel said the function that lifts the upper superstructure seems needless. Now that I have a 42097 replica with me, I can say I disagree with that, as I realize what that function is for.

If you don't pop the superstructure up, when you fully raise the boom and fully extend the outriggers, you can't really rotate the superstructure, as the rear of the boom will be stuck between the two outriggers.

Sure. But if they put the superstructure 1 or 2 studs higher by default, this function wouldn't be needed in the first place. I understand that the idea is to make the folded crane lower even by just 2 studs, I'm just not really impressed by having this entire functionality only producing 2 studs of movement. Personally, I wish they skipped it and reinforced the outriggers' bases instead.

Edited by Sariel

I have to say @Ngoc Nguyen, i like the shots of it in red, could you perhaps post some pics of the entire model? Given the small size of these things in real life, i feel like red might be a more fitting colour then yellow.

Just now, vectormatic said:

I have to say @Ngoc Nguyen, i like the shots of it in red, could you perhaps post some pics of the entire model? Given the small size of these things in real life, i feel like red might be a more fitting colour then yellow.

I posted full pictures in the thread 42097 mod.

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I posted full pictures in the thread 42097 mod.

I was just browsing that thread while you replied, great work!

This is my slight modification, using only parts in the set to make the outriggers stable, strong, AND better looking, how the designer didn't think of this is beyond me.

The L just flips down into the gap in the turntable

B2P5jRutb6BcqnJ0PsHUW4y2spyFgaEhJocj0QaE

Edited by Metagross555

Your image is not visible.

Edited by Doug72

Strange, because I saw it in the morning - @Jim might be a forum motor issue or is it the picture source?

@Metagross555 It looks nice, I would be interested in video comparison with the original solution, how much improvement does it make. Any chance for it?

Edited by agrof

22 minutes ago, agrof said:

Strange, because I saw it in the morning - @Jim might be a forum motor issue?

All I can see is a long file name in the top left corner. Which when clicked takes me to a google log in, enter my Google log in details but all that can seen Is a small No Entry sign !

Edited by Doug72

The image url is not correct. It should end with .jpg, .png or another image extensions.

Not like this :tongue:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/B2P5jRutb6BcqnJ0PsHUW4y2spyFgaEhJocj0QaEsK5H_Bh7WmryOis8pJyCk4_HesBhlMCuMYgHHYj0fw4PwJ-yk2pufIz57yyvV44LaTQU1Gl-PapaGRMaRxieHEcvvtKszH3uFj7tnR1fP_Duj4phCrtdpnmuSBHWPR6PN-ENOfpJqht5yFH3nS9U_g5VimfBItKa9aoKWjEL-oJUNGAG2EooAVXSlHyhQ963Yc1iBnoUHJFlp1xal4dgKXnjO5h4z4711Xpt4WEe4ZXcgX_CYHODhARqKc4KI6M5C4I960j2apPOS4RwqrWTrMwgcJppp45ATi5NlkZGgHScGgUvpzeGrKn2TlaXj23dtigdJdit2qh8gqHWP4uEV0nh79DmWqym8d2h8xyV2zHpSlmGDjU_iRw1qMCpao4jhH4-pIdIOYDztEHLAMPYDTRKhstx-oJMDh8BSeBlqcXlTLqbF7kOXi8tWI-Tu8GP9IpCLvNyqL8V2mbUJPCcw4V11WtABFQOwQlZV8scy8gVzyTOTr0FI5eVvrQyJFr63nKE_gUD0V-Bh4RmPRICDv8hIB-ozMQAUUnrOQv2ZEB2LNANuV24M0giZ7sbBoV2_4pVhSPSD97px3Y6Uycit3ffjrKgIqeTp-MWrdGHcU5mpBEzMbKqiAM=w1124-h843-no