I'd really love to see someone do a RC on this thing. It would be even more awesome if they can sync all the 3 extension movements of all 4 outriggers together.

1 minute ago, Jockos said:

Is it just me, or are the tracks leaning inward?

More like the track is popped up from outside.

6 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

It's a bit disapointing that the B model look too much like the A model. 

It's got some differences. The tracks are triangular, it uses twin linear jacks as opposed to four spread out and, well, it can't help being yellow. :laugh: I like that both models fold up for transport. Quite cool. :thumbup:

11 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I'd really love to see someone do a RC on this thing. It would be even more awesome if they can sync all the 3 extension movements of all 4 outriggers together.

That's a lot of motors. You can't feed 2 axles through the small turntables so you'd have to think of a trick to drive both the 2nd and 3rd stage from an axle on the base. You might be able to feed an axle in from the side (since it only turns about 120°), but I don't think the CV joint allows the axle length to vary enough. Or you might be able to adjust the 2nd stage levering mechanism to be driven from the base.

Additionally, the front and rear outrigger turntables need to be folded in sequentially, so you need either two motors or something clever with some levers that makes the inner outriggers fold in faster than the outer ones.

You could put one or two motors on top of each outrigger but that would be cheating ;)

Pneumatics may offer more options, but In that case I suspect you might as well start from scratch. Doing all 3 stages pneumatically off a single master switch would be an interesting challenge as well though.

This is the first crane model whose image has the crane arm pointing away from the viewer instead of towards the viewer.

Maybe the designer wanted to emphasize the view of the operator. The control pad is in the back and is shown toward the viewer.

6 hours ago, pleegwat said:

That's a lot of motors.

The undercarriage is basically two planes held by 6 vertical dogbones. That gives us a 3-stud high gap in the middle, which can host several M or L motors.

Crane boom sticker says SC 95-18.

I don't think SC are name initials. There's only one Technic designer whose name starts with S, but he's Samuel Tacchi.

95-18 can be the year that designer has been working for at TLG. That's 23 years. 

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Crane boom sticker says SC 95-18.

I don't think SC are name initials. There's only one Technic designer whose name starts with S, but he's Samuel Tacchi.

95-18 can be the year that designer has been working for at TLG. That's 23 years. 

SC could be as simple as 'Spider Crane', or 'Small Crane' (or 'Sweet Candy' :laugh:). The numbers don't ring a bell to me...

Edited by Rudivdk

I think that's the year the designer has worked for TLG. 23 years. As far as I know there only 4 people in the Technic designer team who have worked for a llong time at TLG: Markus, Uwe, Olav, and LKJ. This year LKJ did the 42096, while Uwe did the 42098. I think the designer is Olav, the creator for 42082.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

I made one outrigger from my spare parts, and it turns out to be less than my expectation.

When the outrigger is folded in, it turns out to be very floppy. Because the outrirgger is secured at the back end (the end with the knob) only, it has quite a range of upward movement on the front end (the end that touches the ground). In other words, it doesn't sit down squarely on the 9L beam below, but only sit on the back end only. Imagine sitting on the ground, stretching two legs, but keeping it raised, like some Yoga pose...

When the outrigger is folded out, I expected the linkages to click like those in 42078's trailer, or at least has a strong, secure end moment like those in 42055's mine truck dump bed. It turns out there is none of those. The outrigger just stops because of the 1L liftarm block.

Rotating the 12z gear to extend the telescopic feels like a bore.

On the other note, I think the yellow rack holder blends in very well. I used the LBG holder, and it doesn't look as good.

I tried linking the back end linkages with the telescopic rack, so that I can have two movements linked in one, but I can't seem to find the solution. The telescopic rack moves by a distance of 9 studs, while the rotation of the back linkages has a smaller displacement.

Sorry to say this, but you have started a topic about a model that nobody has ever seen, how canpeople comment or join a discussion on a build that nobody has seen in detail. I find this a bit odd and frustrating especially when you start with mods. I guess you like to be the first to start the discussion, but I find the whole thing pointless if you don't share the pictures.

These topics should start when TLG releases officialy releases the sets or images of the sets, not earlier. It's too bad that TLG doesn't release these images sooner but so be it, we'll have enough time later to start with mods and discussions.

11 minutes ago, gvo25 said:

Sorry to say this, but you have started a topic about a model that nobody has ever seen, how canpeople comment or join a discussion on a build that nobody has seen in detail. I find this a bit odd and frustrating especially when you start with mods. I guess you like to be the first to start the discussion, but I find the whole thing pointless if you don't share the pictures.

These topics should start when TLG releases officialy releases the sets or images of the sets, not earlier. It's too bad that TLG doesn't release these images sooner but so be it, we'll have enough time later to start with mods and discussions.

Totally agree with your comments,every year it’s the same speculation long before anew model is officially released. Patience is a virtue.

I prefer to wait for the official reviews before deciding if to buy or not.

Edited by Doug72

25 minutes ago, gvo25 said:

how canpeople comment or join a discussion on a build that nobody has seen in detail. I find this a bit odd and frustrating especially when you start with mods. I guess you like to be the first to start the discussion, but I find the whole thing pointless if you don't share the pictures

Are you new here? Because what you said is not what usually happens here and not what actually happened here. :look:

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen