Seaber

Updating Your Harry Potter Minifigures

This thread is a Harry Potter Version of the excellent thread on the Star Wars forum started by Kingslayer. 

It's a place to share ways of making the Harry Potter figures look even better, sharing custom items for sale you might find elsewhere and showing off characters created from your own parts. 

A lot of these get posted in the yearly discussion threads, but the posts get lost amongst price discussions and piece count debates :D

First up, I've tried out a few hairpieces for McGonagall. The braided piece is in Light Grey and Dark Tan, the bun piece is Light Grey, but Dark Grey is also available. I think the bun hairpiece looks better for her appearance the first few films, and the braided piece in the later films where she wears her hat less. The hairpieces also covers up her alternate expression better. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRj89CXBNVmSHfDxul7_xk

_20190531_102604

I think this piece is too light, but the shape is good. 

JlIEmMN.jpg

_20190531_102753_20190531_102617

Unfortunately this piece isn't available any darker at the moment. 

I thought Cho's skin tone was too dark in her CMS figure, so changed from Flesh to Light Flesh. I used Paige Tico's head from the Star Wars Resistance Bomber set, as both actors are of South East Asian heritage and the face suited the character. Rose Tico's face didn't suit her as well. 

intro-1542052562.jpg

_20190531_102631

I used the original Cho face for the Patil twins. I got four Cho minifigures so I used two for Padma and Pavati. I'm not sure which ponytail piece best suits them out of the three I have, so I've shown them all. 

WWAfv.jpg

_20190531_104303_20190531_104246

I used Boggart Snape, the bird piece from the lone ranger sets and General Leia's face to make Augusta Longbottom. If only the bird piece came in Tan/Dark Tan...

_20190531_102735

I swapped Malfoy's Bright Light Yellow hair for Tan. I think it makes him look a little less friendly! 

ccc180a660f4007081a50c36a36b56f56e01db27

_20190531_102651

Anyway, hope these are of some help or interest and I'd love to see what others have done too :) 

I too gave McGonagall the braided hairpiece, using the extra one from the Fountain GWP from a few years back. The second option for the Patil twins looks better I think. I’m not much for making my own minifigs...but I do have a case of HP CMF’s that are just sitting there, so it is tempting. 

Edited by Vindicare

A few more for your consideration. I gave Lockhart Newt's face from the CMS, I think it looks quite a bit like the old yellow dace with the big grin. The hair looks a bit silly now, I think the piece from either Andre Schurrle (Tan), Christopher Kramer (Medium Dark Flesh) or Max Kruse (Dark Tan) is the best.

latest?cb=20160905192348

_20190603_082511_20190603_082614

Just a simple change of hairpiece for these two, I gave Slughorn his hat from the CMS Graduate and Ollivander his old hair piece as I think it works better than the new one.

JAu1i.jpg

latest?cb=20100706114608

_20190531_102716

I know some people would have preferred Sirius to have Moody's hair, so this gives you an idea of what that would look like. I also have one with Dastan's hair. I think Old Luke's hair works best though. 

Sirius-Black-in-Azkaban-in-Harry-Potter.

_20190531_102543_20190531_102512

I haven't got the figure in person, but I've seen a lot of people suggesting the light tan/orange mullet for Peter Pettigrew. I think it would work a lot better than the bright orange in the graveyard duel.

Hello fellow Potterheads! Great ideas on minifigs, I definitely will use Your ideas to alter McGonagall.  I too used Newts head to create flesh skinned Lockhart.

Gryffindor students from left to right: Fred and George Weasley (CMF Ron robes), Percy Weasley (CMF Harry robes), Lavender Brown (CMF Dorothy head and hair, this not my idea), Parvati Patil (CMF Cho head), Colin Creevey (Dracos hair, Seamus head), Neville Longbottom (CMF head)

(will be continued..) 

Gryf.JPG

Edited by Robocrookshanks

On 6/3/2019 at 2:58 PM, Brick Cucumber said:

I haven't got the figure in person, but I've seen a lot of people suggesting the light tan/orange mullet for Peter Pettigrew. I think it would work a lot better than the bright orange in the graveyard duel.

Yeah, that's one of the things I'm most looking forward to changing, as well as Krum's hair and face, Fleur's hair, and changing Macnair's hood for the cowl piece. 

4 hours ago, Robocrookshanks said:

Hello fellow Potterheads! Great ideas on minifigs, I definitely will use Your ideas to alter McGonagall.  I too used Newts head to create flesh skinned Lockhart.

Gryffindor students from left to right: Fred and George Weasley (CMF Ron robes), Percy Weasley (CMF Harry robes), Lavender Brown (CMF Dorothy head and hair, this not my idea), Parvati Patil (CMF Cho head), Colin Creevey (Dracos hair, Seamus head), Neville Longbottom (CMF head)

(will be continued..) 

Your Gryffindors look great! If you get all the last wave of sets you get six Gryffindor torsos, not including the polybag or build your own adventure book. I've got to update my Gryffindors from the old style robes and include my CMF ones too. 

20 hours ago, Seaber said:

Your Gryffindors look great!  

Thanks!

Today I have a bit time to add some more :)

Here are Gryffindor quidditch players in addition to Harry and Oliver Wood.

Alicia Spinnet (Cho´s head), Angelina Johnson (I know her skin should be darker, but I only had Cho´s extra head), Katie Bell (who has young Hermoine´s hair and CMF Hermoines head), Ron Weasley (CMF Ron head) , G and F Weasley.

Rawenclaw students: Luna Lovegood (CMF head and hair), Padma Patil , marble statue in Ravenclaw common room, Roger Davies, Penelope clearwater

Slytherin students: Millicent Bulstrode (Tina Goldstein´s hair and head from Newts case), Blaise Zabini, Pansy Parninson (CMF Tina Goldstein head) and Goyle and Crabbe in new quidditch robes.

Hufflepuff students: Cedric Diggory, Hannah Abbott, Justin Finch-Fletchley, Ernie MacMillan

Quidd.JPG

Rawen.JPG

DSC_0221.JPG

Huff (1).jpg

Edited by Robocrookshanks

Here are my Hogwarts Students:

Gryffindor Part 1: Ginny, Hermione, Harry, Ron, Neville

48012047306_1c14885b66_b.jpgDSC_0012 by Decat, on Flickr

Gryffindor Part 2: Seamus Finnigan, Fred and George Weasley, Lavender Brown, Parvati Patil, Dean Thomas

48012135792_8c9a6ba795_b.jpgDSC_0015 by Decat, on Flickr

Sytherin: Marcus Flint, Lucian Bole, Terrence Higgs (Since I have two Flints, I'm re-naming them), Pansy Parkinson, Gregory Goyle, Draco Malfoy

48012135797_2d0309f1fa_b.jpgDSC_0019 by Decat, on Flickr

Hufflepuff: Susan Bones, Cedric Diggory, Zacharias Smith

Ravenclaw: Luna Lovegood, Cho Chang, Padma Patil (who is wearing has an old home-made sticker from before the CMF gave us a proper Ravenclaw torso)

48012059108_f638a89840_b.jpgDSC_0022 by Decat, on Flickr

My modified Lucius Malfoy minifig:

I also made a mod for the horns on the new hungarian horntail:

Edited by Metanoios91

45702254291_42a6c080d1.jpg

Gave Umbridge her old hairpiece. More coming soon.

Edited by Geertos13

10 hours ago, Metanoios91 said:

My modified Lucius Malfoy minifig:

If you cut the snake piece at roughly this position

Oof, that hurts to see.

I don't usually like to cut Lego as well and I am all for purist customization. But the diameter of the snake fits perfectly in the bar stud and I just don't see any other way to recreate the snake wand/staff of Lucius right now. If you have a better idea, please share. Maybe they will release his staff in the next Harry Potter Cmf series, but until then this is the solution I'm content with.

My purist versions of Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia:

Petunia uses the face of Edna Mode from the 2nd Disney CMF

Harry and Ginny before Quidditch tryouts (added the dual-moulded legs to the old torsos):

And finally Young Dumbledore and Grindelwald:

On 6/7/2019 at 9:11 PM, Metanoios91 said:

My modified Lucius Malfoy minifig... 

I also made a mod for the horns on the new hungarian horntail... 

The snake looks good, perhaps a little big but it is Lego after all :) I'd love to see his casual costume in the CMS with a molded wand/cane/snake part, with his Death Eater robes maybe coming in the sets to come.

Would you mind sharing how you did the Horntail's horns? It makes the head look much better. I'm also going to try out your Thestral wing technique :) 

A few new ones from me now. 

Gryffindors:

_20190612_105332

The trio, Ginny, Fred and George. 

_20190612_105309

Lee Jordan, Colin and Dennis Creevey. Lee needs a happy face, but the only one I had in brown was one of the old NBA ones which needs an update. I based Dennis on his sort of movie counterpart, Nigel. 

_20190612_105359

Dean Thomas, Seamus Finnigan, Neville Longbottom, Parvati Patil and Lavender Brown. I didn't really like the hair or face of Seamus from the Whomping Willow set, and I've given Neville a more unique hair piece. All my minifigs have unique faces/hairpieces unless they're twins. 

_20190612_105213

Using Bain's face from the Hobbit sets makes Seamus better IMO as the smiling side is virtually the same and the reverse shows him dirty, which I think is more appropriate for the character! 

_20190612_105251

Gryffindor Quidditch players. I need to update the old Torsos, but left to right there is Andrew Kirke, Jack Sloper, Katie Bell, Oliver Wood, Demelza Robins, Cormac McLaggen, Jimmy Peakes and Ritchie Coote. I just need to find good faces for Angelina Johnston and Alicia Spinnet. 

Slytherins:

_20190612_105233

I need to get a load of the new torsos, but I have the hair and faces sorted for (l-r) Goyle, Crabbe, Pansy Parkinson, Blaise Zabini, Millicent Bulstrode and Theodore Nott. 

Great topic.

@ Seaber. I love your army built of Slytherin student. In my opinion its the nicest Slytherin torso around. 
Is there anybody who has made an young Tom Riddle? Some tips would be more the welcome.

4 hours ago, LegoNetherlands said:

Is there anybody who has made an young Tom Riddle? Some tips would be more the welcome.

There's this one I found on Flickr some time ago:

Harry Potter Figs

I think it works well. Dark gray legs would probably be better and I would try the new Flitwick hair perhaps, even if this one is fine.

5 hours ago, LegoNetherlands said:

Great topic.

@ Seaber. I love your army built of Slytherin student. In my opinion its the nicest Slytherin torso around. 

Thanks! 

47 minutes ago, Elrond said:

There's this one I found on Flickr some time ago:

I think it works well. Dark gray legs would probably be better and I would try the new Flitwick hair perhaps, even if this one is fine.

Those pieces were my thinking, or maybe the new Lupin one in dark brown or black. 

A few more of mine. 

_20190612_105449

L-R Rufus Scrimgeour, Barry Crouch Sr, Mundungus Fletcher, Amos Diggory. 

_20190612_105449_20190612_105417

Hogwarts Denizens, a simple Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank, Bloody Baron and Madam Pince. 

_20190612_105523

Death Eaters (and a snatcher)! L-R Thorfinn Rowle, Alecto Carrow, Narcissa Malfoy with painted hair, Travers, Scabior, Amycus Carrow, Yaxley, Jugson and Antonin Dolohov, with two masked Death Eaters at the back. All have unique torsos, but it'll be good to have some more official robes some day. 

Edited by Seaber

These customs all look really great, too bad most of my figures have yellow skins instead of fleshies so my customization options are a bit limited. 

The Hogwarts Houses Professors. Gave McGonagall her signature bun. Slughorn needed a little less hair and a graduation hat. Gave Sprout medium short legs and a brown cloth skirt. Also tilted the hat the other way around. Flitwick remains untouched.

IMG_8197.JPG

Edited by Geertos13

On 6/19/2019 at 6:43 PM, Guyon2002 said:

These customs all look really great, too bad most of my figures have yellow skins instead of fleshies so my customization options are a bit limited. 

I only recently updated my Star Wars gigs to flesh tones from yellow, Harry Potter a few years before that, so yellow figs are fine! Torsos are the most difficult parts to match up IMO, but with themes like Lone Ranger and the Hobbits from LOTR, there are plenty of useful parts for Potter around :) 

On 6/23/2019 at 4:38 PM, Geertos13 said:

The Hogwarts Houses Professors. Gave McGonagall her signature bun. Slughorn needed a little less hair and a graduation hat. Gave Sprout medium short legs and a brown cloth skirt. Also tilted the hat the other way around. Flitwick remains untouched.

Brilliant! I wish Lego used that hairpiece and printed hair on à la Filch. Sprout looks good with short legs, she would look great with a unique hair/hat mold, but your version is great with the available pieces :) 

I have a few more customs to show. 

Little Whinging postman from Gof book and the King's Cross Guard from PS, Cos and DH. The postman is based on the Royal Mail uniform, the guard would look better with a dark blue hat, but I'm happy with it for now. 

harry-potter1-disneyscreencaps.com-4034.

_20190706_145514

Dedalus Diggle and Borgin. I'm not sure on Diggle's face, but Borgin's is a lucky find, Barret's from the Lone Ranger sets. One of the newer top hat styles would be better for Diggle though, and maybe Moody's hair in brown would work well for Borgin. 

latest?cb=20110703233114

230?cb=20180613191716

_20190706_145641

The Hogwarts Ghosts WIP. I recently gave them all white/ glow in the dark faces rather than light grey to match the official Nearly Headless Nick. 

_20190706_145704

L-R Sir Patrick Delaney-Podmore, Fat Friar, Moaning Myrtle, Nearly Headless Nick, Professor Cuthbert Binns, Bloody Baron, Grey Lady. 

Sir Patrick is the leader of the Headless Hunt in the books, his appearance isn't described, so I just put some parts together for him. Fat Friar looks too dark, but the torso print looks right, his smile is too big though. Myrtle is missing her glasses, and the hair is the wrong colour, ideally the CMS Babysitter hair piece in grey would work for her. Nick has been given a painted ruff which I think looks good but is obviously custom. Binns should have glasses, but I think looks quite simple and works okay. The Bloody Baron would ideally have the new Darth Vader face, or perhaps the sad Nearly Headless Nick one. The Grey Lady needs the Spooky Girl CMS face which I have, but can't find, and a good dress, perhaps from the Weeping Angel. Her hair is also painted, which I don't like doing, but it's better than Dumbledore's new or old style hair pieces. 

Edited by Seaber

On 6/23/2019 at 10:38 AM, Geertos13 said:

I love all of your small tweaks and changes - where did you get Sprout's cloth skirt? Did an extensive look through Bricklink to no avail... 

Using the Brickforge Centaur piece I've made the four named Centaurs in the Forbidden Forest colony.

Firstly, I based Firenze on his appearance in the Lego Years 1-4 video game. I used an older face without pupils to make the face look more distinct from the human faces, and more natural looking hair.

maxresdefault.jpg

A2dzIqL.jpg

I got a bit disappointed in this, and tried to make my centaurs look more like the horse-faced ones in OotP.

Firenze in the PS film looks quite different to the Centaurs seen in OotP, but one thing they have in common is the large pointed ears.

latest?cb=20111220140413latest?cb=20091021085559

I thought the Orc hairpiece in Medium Dark Flesh worked well for this, and I had a few heads in MDF that would work okay for a Centaur. The bodies are Tonto from the Lone Ranger turned back to front, with Firenze having the dusty torso from the mine set to show his appearance after he was attacked by the rest of the herd. The quivers are on the horse part of the body as they are too long to fit on the human part.

5msvFqY.jpg

To give a bit of variation, I gave them the body colours they had in the books - Firenze is palomino (creamy coloured) with the most youthful face, Ronan chestnut brown with the saddest face and Bane is black with the most angry face. Magorian is also chestnut coloured in the books, but I only had a grey body left. I gave him the proudest face of the lot as he's the leader of the colony.

I'd like to get a reddish brown and dark tan centaur body to add a few more to the herd, with the reddish brown body going to Magorian and the grey and dark tan bodies being two of the unnamed Centaurs in OotP, but I'm also out of Orc hair, MDF faces and Tonto bodies! I might add beard pieces to Firenze and Bane too.

Edited by Seaber

No picture, but Fudge’s legs paired with CMF Harry & Ron work well for later years them. The printing on Fudge lines up well. 

On 7/10/2019 at 10:17 PM, Vindicare said:

No picture, but Fudge’s legs paired with CMF Harry & Ron work well for later years them. The printing on Fudge lines up well. 

XdRu1ech.jpg

It doesn't look too bad, Fudge/Snape/Hux's legs are on Harry and Ron. It lines up better on Harry but doesn't look bad on Ron. Hermione has the legs from Kylo Ren, but the print is slightly too narrow. Still, they all look quite good :)