Zilmrud

CHALLENGE III: Category A: Story of the traveler

It had been a good day the market. Many new exotic fruits and clothing were for sale and other new goods from the faraway Varlyrio . Angus and Lilly were going home from the market, happy now when Avalonia was in peace and flourishing as never before. It was good times. The streets of Zamorah were almost empty when everyone was at the market. 

47971158758_d8b5b6c307.jpg

Outside the family house they met Lilly's older brother Lars, he worked as a cartographer in Albion and were always out on missions in far away lands, making maps of unknown territories. 

47971153287_e0935c6bfb_z.jpg

Lilly: "Hi, Lars! How are you?"

Lars was in a hurry but turned around to greet his sister and brother in-law: "Hi, Lilly and Angus."

Lilly: "How are you? It's been awhile!"

Lars: "It's fine, it's fine."

Angus: "Well, we know you better than that Lars. You look stressed out and worried. Has anything happened?"

Lars: "I'm in a hurry. I have to go to Albion before dark. I just made a quick stop to say hi to mother."

Lilly: "Where have you been? What interesting things have you seen at your travels? You know I love your stories!" Lilly tried another tactic.

Lars lowered his shoulders and sighed deeply: "Well, something troubling has been told to me by a traveler in the mountains in eastern Mitgardia. News that have to be forwarded to the Guild leader in Albion. If I tell you this, you have to keep it to yourself!"

Lilly: "Ofcourse Lars, you know we can keep a secret"

Lars: "Well, this traveler came storming in to the Tavern were I was sitting eating dinner. He looked totally freaked out and were mumbling about demons, evil creatures and the death himself walking among us. I invited him to the table and asked what was worrying him."

Traveler: "They are back! The demons of Nocturnus. They are here among us already. I've seen them myself!"

Lars: "Take it easy friend, here you got some mead. Now tell me what you have seen."

The traveler took a deep sip of mead, then said: "I was walking in the Castaway pass north of here when I heard a loud crack to the right of me. I was afraid and hide behind a big rock. When I looked up I saw a bright light and a ring of fire appeared out of nothing in the rock wall. The ring expanded to about 14 feets wide, burning and a great heat radiated out from it and melted the show around it. Then out from the fire black figures stepped out into the snow instantly melting under there feets. First came some demon-like creatures walked out and after it came some winged beast with a even more terrifying demon riding it…. After that I can't remember anything. I think I maybe passed out  or something. When I waked up they were gone. And there were not any trace of them. I know I saw it! I'm not crazy!" 

47971203086_832b588ceb.jpg

The traveler drank all of the mead in the cup. Then his eyes widened: "We all have to flee, they are coming! Noctornus is rising!!"
The he stood up and ran out from the tavern with fear in his eyes.

Lars: "Then I ate up and decided that I have to inform the Guild about this. So I took of directly and came here"

Angus: "Well, that's… that's not good news!"

47971208016_83a108c029.jpg

Lars said in a not so convincing words: "I don't think you should be worried. It can be a crazy man's fantasies, but it's my duty to inform the Guild."

Lilly' s eyes widened: "Can this be the reason The Aurum Order has ordered the city walls to be reinforced?"

Angus: "We shall not draw any fast conclusions right now, we haven't heard anything of that."

Lars: "Well, you should not go around walking about this. And take care of eachother. I really have to go. Have a good time and I hope we will soon see eachother again."

Lars kissed his sister cheek and hurried away down the street.

Spoiler

Behind the build:
I weren't going to build this from the start but when I finished my first build a realised that I had some time left.
The build is long and narrow to get the whole scenery within the restrictions 1296 studs (36×36 studs). So as I did with my last build I have counted the studs on this builds footprint. And it's about 1152 studs +/- 2 studs (rounded edge of the street).

Pic of build from above:

47971209581_3cdbfe9894_n.jpg

Pic of the street:

47971205216_88bb867ed9.jpg

WIP-Pics of buildings in the streets:

47971211471_0e755dda7a.jpg

47971213801_503cb0a366.jpg

Edited by Zilmrud

Oooh, great story! 

I like how desperate Lars look (awesome Minifig, by the way). The city streets look fabulous! The cobblestone, the weary stone walls, the bits of foliage growing vertically.. feels like a trip to the medieval towns of Firenze.

Well, I can only hope Lars reaches the Guild in time to inform of his encounter. 

And that Angus and Lily get to their homes safely.

Great work!

Well done, great figs and very convincing street view!  Also the Noctornian's in the vision are very well made! 

Great work man! Love the street-view with the depth, made for a really good shot. Very nice work with the story as well :wink:

7 hours ago, Louis of Nutwood said:

Oooh, great story! 

I like how desperate Lars look (awesome Minifig, by the way). The city streets look fabulous! The cobblestone, the weary stone walls, the bits of foliage growing vertically.. feels like a trip to the medieval towns of Firenze.

Well, I can only hope Lars reaches the Guild in time to inform of his encounter. 

And that Angus and Lily get to their homes safely.

Great work!

Thanks alot! I tend to get into the story more then I originaly intend to. I look forward to the free builds ahead when I'm going to tell the story of my sigfig.

I would really want to see Florence some day :classic:  

7 hours ago, W Navarre said:

Well done, great figs and very convincing street view!  Also the Noctornian's in the vision are very well made! 

5 hours ago, adde51 said:

Great work man! Love the street-view with the depth, made for a really good shot. Very nice work with the story as well :wink:

Thanks guys! I was thinking of building the houses more simple in structure. But even if you don't see the facade it maybe gives som extra reflections or such that give it a more realistic look. ...or maybe it's just the tought of cheating that made med do actual facades, even if you don't see them :grin:

Really good job on the narrow lane here, those vines and pink flowers add just the right touch of color and the camera angles are very effective!

Gorgeous!  There's a ton of great things going on here.  First, I must compliment you on the all-Lego shots.  I get more and more into those every time I see them.  They're so intimate and make the shots so personal.  I love seeing the street from the mini's perspective.  You did a phenomenal job with the curved wall.  The texture is awesome, and then adding the bits of green leaf with flowers is perfection.  I appreciate, too, how the buildings have fully detailed facades despite not being able to see them fully until the extra shots (thanks for those, by the way!).  Mini posing and expressions are great, and the story is awesome.  I love the use of the superhero headpiece on the demon, and the lighting on the demon shot is great.  This whole thing is top notch, from beginning to end.  I don't know that could suggest much; perhaps in the first shot, the cobblestone sticks out as a bit too regular on a grid, but you did a great job breaking it up with color and piece variation.  Outstanding work!

4 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Really good job on the narrow lane here, those vines and pink flowers add just the right touch of color and the camera angles are very effective!

Thanks. The vines is a good way to making the wall more detailed without working with depth in the wall. And it's a piece of advice my wife always gives me... add more vegetation. And this time she was right :tongue:

Excellent job here.  The camera angles and photography are great.  The narrow street and the buildings look great, I love the texturing of the buildings.  The cobblestone streets look nice.    The portal with the demons is really cool looking in the background.  All your figs look fantastic.  The story is developing nicely.  

19 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Excellent job here.  The camera angles and photography are great.  The narrow street and the buildings look great, I love the texturing of the buildings.  The cobblestone streets look nice.    The portal with the demons is really cool looking in the background.  All your figs look fantastic.  The story is developing nicely.  

Thanks man! 

Super cool perspective looking down the street :thumbup: The curved wall makes a great backdrop, and each of the buildings has some very cool designs.

Lovely ring of fire effects too :classic:

On 6/16/2019 at 10:15 PM, mrcp6d said:

Beautiful all LEGO ally scene!

Thanks alot!

On 6/18/2019 at 7:00 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Super cool perspective looking down the street :thumbup: The curved wall makes a great backdrop, and each of the buildings has some very cool designs.

Lovely ring of fire effects too :classic:

Thanks. I had a vision of the build early with the story telling bit, but it came out different. 

It wasn't untill the photo I realized that you wouldn't see the buildings facades ??

Lego scene for the win! The first shot is just epic with some great details and colourscheme! Nice to see some behind shots as well!

1 hour ago, de Gothia said:

Lego scene for the win! The first shot is just epic with some great details and colourscheme! Nice to see some behind shots as well!

Thanks. Yeah, it was that kind of build that had more behind the camera than what showed at the pics.

12 hours ago, Eoin Wallace said:

Very nice build and story:classic:

Thanks!