Bob De Quatre

[MOC] Ice Explorer

The Ice Explorer is a one-manned spaceship designed to convey planet survey from low orbit. It's powerful radar is able to map large areas of a planet in a single flight. Two containers allow the Ice Explorer to deploy on orbit up to two surveillance satellites or to recover damaged ones.

My first entry for Brickpirate's spaceship challenge. It was great building an Ice Planet MOC, and I used this as an opportunity to use parts I don"t use often like old parts from back then, Technic panels, Bionicle, Duplo and... a rubber eraser.

47960972277_1eebd76821_c.jpgIce Explorer by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr
47960988043_a4693a958c_c.jpgIce Explorer by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr
47960972667_122b4f4c9a_c.jpgIce Explorer by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr
47960972837_dd845841ba_c.jpgIce Explorer by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr
47960972157_800ef1bfd8_c.jpgIce Explorer by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr
47960987713_f4ed5dbbea_c.jpgIce Explorer by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr
47961011751_1c036fd348_c.jpgIce Explorer by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr
47960986408_2f0ed64db6_c.jpgIce Explorer by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr
47961011551_da92f0be29_c.jpgIce Explorer by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr
47960986218_bb34a17687_c.jpgIce Explorer by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

Nice one Bob. I really miss the Ice Planet sets and this spaceship makes me wish I was able to get more of those when I was a kid.

Anyway, I see familiar parts from Nexo Knights. I was just looking at those sets to part out and make classic space MOCs. I think I should unbox some now. :wink:

That is another great spaceship from you @Bob De Quatre. *oh2*

You used some nice parts in this build (Bionicle part in the middle) and I really like the stripes in the wings.

The satellite in the cylinder parts is really nice feature. 

5 hours ago, makoy said:

Anyway, I see familiar parts from Nexo Knights. I was just looking at those sets to part out and make classic space MOCs. I think I should unbox some now. :wink:

It's always a joy seeing that theme's signature parts show up in Classic Space creations! :thumbup: :grin:

2 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:

Nice work Bob, those Nexo Knights sets were a gift for Ice Planet!

Indeed nice build, the neon orange was a big thing what drew me out of a 15 year dark age into LEGO again with Nexo Knights.

:wub_drool:

I was too late into the world for Classic Space, but Ice Planet is something I can get behind. This is sooo good. The theme fits like a glove, and your design is wonderful. My favorite unique detail is that feathering effect with the gaps at the edge of the wings.

Another incredible ship from you, Bob, thanks for sharing!

Nice fun swooshy ship, with particularly fine lines for the canopy and nose transition.  The engines and cockpit are nicely detailed but not so detailed that they distract from the overall shape.  The satellite launchers are a nice touch, but the landing gear is extremely spindly, especially for an ice planet.  Overall, this ship reminds me of a Colonial Viper.  Was that intentional?

That neon orange really pops out against the white. I never grew up in the age of Ice Planet sets but based on seeing some images, this looks like a good representation.

Congratulations @Bob De Quatre on having this latest creation of yours frontpaged! :thumbup: :sweet:

19 hours ago, TeriXeri said:
22 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:

Nice work Bob, those Nexo Knights sets were a gift for Ice Planet!

Indeed nice build, the neon orange was a big thing what drew me out of a 15 year dark age into LEGO again with Nexo Knights.

I still wonder if Nexo Knights was intended to be a Space theme at some point during its development. :shrug_oh_well:

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I still wonder if Nexo Knights was intended to be a Space theme at some point during its development. :shrug_oh_well:

Well, from some of the concept art (Source: Character Encyclopedia), there's a picture of a more metal looking Fortrex (no orange), fighting some orcs in another metal Fortress on a cliff. Orcs with red grey/red armor and sawblade arms and such. (Name : "CybOrcs") which are said to predate the concept of Fire/Stone monsters.

I don't think it was meant to be a Space theme, but a lot more Fantasy with technology on both sides, with more sinister monsters then we got now.

Instead of the Cyberbyters/Vampires using the Black/Green Colorscheme, the artwork shows a would-be Skeleton faction with transparent ghosts , clockwork globlins and a skeleton foundry.

Edited by TeriXeri

44 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Congratulations @Bob De Quatre on having this latest creation of yours frontpaged! :thumbup: :sweet:

Thanks... but you're aware that I have the power frontpage anything I want :innocent:

19 hours ago, icm said:

Nice fun swooshy ship, with particularly fine lines for the canopy and nose transition.  The engines and cockpit are nicely detailed but not so detailed that they distract from the overall shape.  The satellite launchers are a nice touch, but the landing gear is extremely spindly, especially for an ice planet.  Overall, this ship reminds me of a Colonial Viper.  Was that intentional?

You're the second person to tell me this, so I guess it's true :classic:

On 6/1/2019 at 11:13 AM, Bob De Quatre said:

Thanks... but you're aware that I have the power frontpage anything I want

But is that cheating or would it have become front page anyway due to the quality of the MOC?

I love the MOC it's very sleek

The colours are great, this theme must have been dark ages for me I must admit. Ships were just going white as I moved on? Certainly not orange!

Looks pretty sweet!:thumbup: It's always nice to see Ice Planet MOCs. I especially like how you put together the wings, very interesting.

Every time I view it, I see something that I missed.  I especially like the shape of the ventral hull, and that (sensor array?).. real nice!