Perterz

MOC Medieval Windmill

It’s been a while since I’ve completed a MOC. I’ve been building on several MOCs but not 1 made it to the finish line, except for this one! 

I’ve always wanted to build a Mill before and this concept was incorporated in a previous WIP but now is completed as a stand-alone MOC.

As always, Thanks for looking and your thoughts!

Medieval WindmillMedieval WindmillMedieval Windmill

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46736604@N07/

Are those... are those... are those Black Capes? :pir-oh: That's ingenious!
Wow, really cool creation!

Nice build.  I like the way you've done the small windows, and the connection method for the capes on the windmill blades is interesting!

Nice MOC - the trees are great! I don't know how you've built that roof on the tower, but I LOVE it! :wub:

Love the stonework on the mill.  The windmill itself is really nice, like the use of the capes.  The dark red roofs look great.  I like the landscaping with the different flowers and grasses all around the base.  The tree is very nice too.  

The whole scene is composed very nicely, with great techniques, but your use of color is probably my favorite--the brights and darks make it lively without being too much, and the varied brick texture keeps the walls from being blandly gray. :thumbup:

11 hours ago, Aine said:

Yes those are black capes! Had them laying around unused and they were a perfect fit for this, Thank you!

10 hours ago, deraven said:

Nice build.  I like the way you've done the small windows, and the connection method for the capes on the windmill blades is interesting!

At first I was affraid they wouldn’t hold position but apparently the fabric is strong enough + the small overlap makes them even stronger.. The holes for the minifig head perfectly align with the clips of a 1x2 modified plate with clips aswell. I settled pretty fast with this setup. Thank you!

10 hours ago, TheL390Man said:

Nice MOC - the trees are great! I don't know how you've built that roof on the tower, but I LOVE it! :wub:

Thank you very much, glad you like it! The trick with the roof is actually pretty simple, it’s just tiles clipped on hoses ??

0756008B-65FC-429E-A596-73FE18522802.jpe

4 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Love the stonework on the mill.  The windmill itself is really nice, like the use of the capes.  The dark red roofs look great.  I like the landscaping with the different flowers and grasses all around the base.  The tree is very nice too.  

Thank you very much for your kind words! 

2 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

The whole scene is composed very nicely, with great techniques, but your use of color is probably my favorite--the brights and darks make it lively without being too much, and the varied brick texture keeps the walls from being blandly gray. :thumbup:

Thank you very much! Glad you like the colors as much as I do. I really like working with color, especially with the darker shades LEGO has, they feel more natural.

Again Thanks all for your input, really appreciated!

Edited by Perterz

Very nice! I really like the roof for the windmill. The technique is genius.

13 hours ago, Perterz said:

Thank you very much, glad you like it! The trick with the roof is actually pretty simple, it’s just tiles clipped on hoses ??

*oh2* So simple yet so effective :thumbup:

Hoses are so versatile but I have so few in my collection that I rarely get to use them to their full potential. Time to order some from BL!! :moar:

Great job, I really love the stonework with those minifig legs, all the textures, the roof shaping and the use of the capes!

On 5/30/2019 at 3:49 PM, Perterz said:

I’ve been building on several MOCs but not 1 made it to the finish line, except for this one! 

I would love to see your other WIPs! Too bad they get abandoned though... What about a topic only for you to post all you’re WIPs so the rest of us can get inspired? :classic:

On 5/30/2019 at 2:43 PM, Aine said:

My thought exactly!  And the white snake for chimney smoke!  Ingenious!  This is the type of MOC building I aspire to.  Well done!

On 5/30/2019 at 3:43 PM, Aine said:

oh my goodness. i was so distracted by the wall textures and the smokey-snake that I didn't even pay attention to the blades til i scrolled down and read this comment.

On 5/31/2019 at 4:33 PM, KotZ said:

Very nice! I really like the roof for the windmill. The technique is genius.

Thank you very much! 

On 5/31/2019 at 11:01 PM, TheL390Man said:

*oh2* So simple yet so effective :thumbup:

Hoses are so versatile but I have so few in my collection that I rarely get to use them to their full potential. Time to order some from BL!! :moar:

Sure do, I did the same some time ago. I find them very usefull, strong nu flexible & if needed you can cut them at specific lengths!

21 hours ago, Thedarkmaster2 said:

That's a complex way you did that tower

It’s very important to start on a strong stable base to add multiple layers easely. It became very tricky closer to the top of the cone, I had to switch to wedgeplates to finish it..

13 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Great job, I really love the stonework with those minifig legs, all the textures, the roof shaping and the use of the capes!

I would love to see your other WIPs! Too bad they get abandoned though... What about a topic only for you to post all you’re WIPs so the rest of us can get inspired? :classic:

When I decide to stop a WIP, I break it down to get the parts back. Tho I keep everything I build in my head to use in other projects. As an example, the Windows, the porch with stairs, the raised groundlevel you can see in this build all were ideas from previous wips.. 

The only WIP I released was this tavern..

Medieval Tavern

9 hours ago, Rockstaremcee said:

My thought exactly!  And the white snake for chimney smoke!  Ingenious!  This is the type of MOC building I aspire to.  Well done!

Thank you very much, glad my MOCs inspire people!

5 hours ago, corasaur said:

oh my goodness. i was so distracted by the wall textures and the smokey-snake that I didn't even pay attention to the blades til i scrolled down and read this comment.

It’s always fun to discover new things the more you look at something!

Thanks again for all your comments and kind words!

21 minutes ago, Perterz said:

if needed you can cut them at specific lengths!

*oh2* I’m too much of a purist for that! :wink:

Nevertheless I will be ordering a whole load of hoses in my next order :sweet:

13 hours ago, Perterz said:

t’s very important to start on a strong stable base to add multiple layers easely. It became very tricky closer to the top of the cone, I had to switch to wedgeplates to finish it.

AH yeah that makes sense

17 hours ago, TheL390Man said:

*oh2* I’m too much of a purist for that! :wink:

You can cut hose and still be purist; older LEGO instructions required you to cut your own hose to the proper length, so it counts as a legal move.

On 6/4/2019 at 4:32 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

You can cut hose and still be purist; older LEGO instructions required you to cut your own hose to the proper length, so it counts as a legal move.

I suppose, but it kind of seems wrong to me. Besides, I enjoy the challenge of trying to get things to fit how they are.

Either way, they are definitely versatile parts, as demonstrated in this wonderful MOC!

Edited by TheL390Man

On 6/4/2019 at 5:32 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

On 6/4/2019 at 11:07 PM, TheL390Man said:

I suppose, but it kind of seems wrong to me. Besides, I enjoy the challenge of trying to get things to fit how they are.

Either way, they are definitely versatile parts, as demonstrated in your wonderful MOC!

I’m a purist myself but sometimes it’s needed to cut a hose..

I also cut hoses if I need a 1L or 2L bar which LEGO doesn’t provide; it still is a LEGO hose tho ?

Thanks for your opinion! ?

On 6/10/2019 at 5:50 PM, Ben Pitchford said:

Absolutely love the design, color scheme, and especially the roof. Nice touch w the white snake! 

15 hours ago, leafan said:

Well done! I like the capes on the windmill.

Thank you very much!