Sign in to follow this  
Giacinto Consiglio

[MOC] Modular Modern District

I'm proud to reveal a brand new modular building in a brand new style! This is my first attempt at contemporary architecture, and the buildings feature a luxury apartment and an office tower with a working elevator. Hope you like it!

47959567783_cbc3587321_c.jpg

47959560092_48a98ce86a_c.jpg

47959597121_87fbca251a_c.jpg

47959596786_d23ef419ee_c.jpg

47959597416_67a006d8c2_c.jpg

Edited by Giacinto Consiglio

They both look awesome!  Love the curves in the office building and the use of the windscreens for the balconies.

I love it! I particularly like the combination of angled roof and the curved sections.

Some great subtle details, too - I like the ladder pieces up the right hand side of the tan building. :sweet:

Amazing. Super unique style, and I like the asymmetry on the left building and the curved shape of the building on the right. The foliage is well done too! Its nice to see that the back is highly detailed as well. I like how it hinges open. The interior is very clean and nice. 

What software did you use to render this? It looks even better than stud.io's renders. Its extremely convincing, the only thing that gives it away is looking at some curved surfaces and seeing polygons (like on the brick at the right in the kitchen image). 

Edited by chezzymann

That's a nice style. I especially like the greenery growing up the office tower and the ground floor front wall detailing with the plates. And I really dig the  kitchen. Very sleek.

How does the elevator function? And those long narrow windows in the apartment, I don't recognize the element you used?

It just slides through the walls and it can be stopped with a lever on each floor. They're 1x2x5 clear pillars:wink:

13 hours ago, chezzymann said:

Amazing. Super unique style, and I like the asymmetry on the left building and the curved shape of the building on the right. The foliage is well done too! Its nice to see that the back is highly detailed as well. I like how it hinges open. The interior is very clean and nice. 

What software did you use to render this? It looks even better than stud.io's renders. Its extremely convincing, the only thing that gives it away is looking at some curved surfaces and seeing polygons (like on the brick at the right in the kitchen image). 

Thank you very much. I used Mecabricks!

Superb modular @Giacinto Consiglio ! I had seen this in your Instagram some weeks ago but hadn not commented, so here we go! At first glance, it looks amazing. I has it all, a nice colour scheme, good shaping and (what looks like) good height (ground floor + 3 storeys is tall!). As for the style, I'm just not as keen of it, but it's hardly deniable that you've done a great job capturing it. I see what you did for the blue building. I'm guessing the curved façade didn't allow for proper modularability and you had to make it more like a dollhouse. It's a nice solution. I had the same issue with my modulars "Klee Corner" and "Disco 2000 Vinyl Store" and opted for modular floors that adapted to the shape of the façade outside (using wedge plates). I think your solution works almost better, but the only thing that bugs me is that the back façades look as if they would just swing open freely. I can't see it, but is there any sort of clip and handle to hold that back façade in place?

As for the building itself, I think you've achieved a very good mix of curves, straight lines and vegetation to create contrast. I really like the colour coding you've put in practice on the left building especially, the protruding bits in tan and the non-protruding walls in white. Plus, the angled roof is awesome! I'm very interested in seeing how this comes together. Would you consider uploading this into Mecabricks so we could see a nice 3D view? I would love that. All in all, a modular you should be very proud of, it's very good :classic:

Oh, just one thing, how tall is it? I mean, I can see you've shortened some floors and have crushed the ground level of the tan and white building quite a bit to fit the four floor, but how tall is it in comparison to your other buildings?

58 minutes ago, Giacinto Consiglio said:

It just slides through the walls and it can be stopped with a lever on each floor. They're 1x2x5 clear pillars:wink:

Thank you very much. I used Mecabricks!

Great stuff.

If you use the Mecabricks render mode, there are a few things you can do to get even better results. First one is to check the “subdivide” checkbox for rounded parts that are close to the camera. It will smooth them pretty well. Second one would be to switch the denoiser from Cycles to Intel denoiser with fast quality. It will work well for interior renders with low samples. Last one would be to set the dispersion to 0.01 in the compositor tab. Hope it helps.

Edited by Scrubs

On 5/30/2019 at 2:18 PM, paupadros said:

Superb modular @Giacinto Consiglio ! I had seen this in your Instagram some weeks ago but hadn not commented, so here we go! At first glance, it looks amazing. I has it all, a nice colour scheme, good shaping and (what looks like) good height (ground floor + 3 storeys is tall!). As for the style, I'm just not as keen of it, but it's hardly deniable that you've done a great job capturing it. I see what you did for the blue building. I'm guessing the curved façade didn't allow for proper modularability and you had to make it more like a dollhouse. It's a nice solution. I had the same issue with my modulars "Klee Corner" and "Disco 2000 Vinyl Store" and opted for modular floors that adapted to the shape of the façade outside (using wedge plates). I think your solution works almost better, but the only thing that bugs me is that the back façades look as if they would just swing open freely. I can't see it, but is there any sort of clip and handle to hold that back façade in place?

As for the building itself, I think you've achieved a very good mix of curves, straight lines and vegetation to create contrast. I really like the colour coding you've put in practice on the left building especially, the protruding bits in tan and the non-protruding walls in white. Plus, the angled roof is awesome! I'm very interested in seeing how this comes together. Would you consider uploading this into Mecabricks so we could see a nice 3D view? I would love that. All in all, a modular you should be very proud of, it's very good :classic:

Oh, just one thing, how tall is it? I mean, I can see you've shortened some floors and have crushed the ground level of the tan and white building quite a bit to fit the four floor, but how tall is it in comparison to your other buildings?

Thank you. Let's answer some questions:

1)The back facade is held in place with a cheese slope on the baseplate and 3 curved 2x2 slopes on a 1x6 plate on the roof. These can be easily removed to open the facade.

2)It's 35 cm tall, so 2.5 cm shorter than the Cheese Shop. I'll upload a 3D view from Stud.io I think!!

On 5/30/2019 at 2:28 PM, Scrubs said:

Great stuff.

If you use the Mecabricks render mode, there are a few things you can do to get even better results. First one is to check the “subdivide” checkbox for rounded parts that are close to the camera. It will smooth them pretty well. Second one would be to switch the denoiser from Cycles to Intel denoiser with fast quality. It will work well for interior renders with low samples. Last one would be to set the dispersion to 0.01 in the compositor tab. Hope it helps.

Thanks for your precious suggestions!!

Indeed it looks very modern. I really like those crawling vines on the building exterior. Great job!

On 5/30/2019 at 1:28 PM, Giacinto Consiglio said:

Oh, oops… :blush:

Very nice! Very, very nice! I really like it.

Great facades. Great colours. Nice details, like the climbing plant on the office tower.

What a great modular, probably one of the best modern looking modulars I’ve ever seen! I love your experiments with the shapes, especially the curves, the crawling plant and the backside opening feature. :classic: Keep it up! :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Giacinto Consiglio said:

I'm really happy you liked my new style!

New style? Do you plan to keep building contemporary architecture? I expect them to turn out great as you’re a very skilled and a talented MOCer (as @paupadros also mentioned in his comment) but I’m not a huge fan of contemporary architecture personally unless it’s truly unique and original... If you plan to keep building modern, I would love to see you experimenting with more textures and shapes a bit like in this MOC but in higher quality:

architect-01

Oh by saying this, I obviously don’t want to discourage you, just give my opinion. Guess I’m really a 20th century guy... :laugh:

Edited by LegoModularFan

My next modular is actually inspired by Venetian traditional architecture, but I'd also like to include more modern designs in my modular collection. Thanks for the inspiration!

2 hours ago, Giacinto Consiglio said:

My next modular is actually inspired by Venetian traditional architecture, but I'd also like to include more modern designs in my modular collection. Thanks for the inspiration!

Pharmacy 2? Looking forward to it! :wink:

Edited by paupadros

The right-hand building reminds me of some sketches I saw in a museum exhibit a while ago. I can't remember the architect's name. I'll have to look through my photo collection later. I've been wanting to try to render such a building in bricks ever since. I love how this one turned out.

here's the only close image i seem to have taken on my phone. although it isn't a perfect stylistic match, it left me wanting to make a modern modular covered in plants:

buildingwithtreesamktf.jpg

i feel like there were other drawings in the exhibit of different buildings, but this is the only photo of a building sketch i can find.

this was the exhibit:

https://www.harvardartmuseums.org/visit/exhibitions/5830/displaying-latin-america

of course, if i build any of it, i'm gonna have to shave a couple stories off, and would probably throw some vines in there.

Edited by corasaur