Costas

19482c01 Pneumatic Pump Fractures

I note that LEGO have released a reinforced version (bb875) of their small 6L pump where they have beefed up the material around the base of the pump.

I suspect that the following problem is why they released a reinforced version in 2018.

I have a number of 18482c01 pumps which were sitting around in my spares currently unused. I needed one today for a small compressor project and when I put it to use I noted that I had an air leak in my system.

Upon closer examination of my pressurised components I tracked the issue to a leaking pump. I placed it in some water (under pressure) and found air escaping through the body of the pump.

Under some magnification I noted what appeared to be stress fractures in the main body of the pump - These run 360 deg around the whole base.

Note that this pump was new/unused - I also went through my spares inventory (6 new pumps in total) and found another one with the same problem, so 2 out of 6 seemed to be affected - although the second pump exhibited fractures around its base it was still airtight.

Just wondering whether others have experienced the same...?

Below is closeup where you can see the fractures running lengthwise along the base.

19482c01 Pneumatic Pump Fractures_b.JPG

There is a thread a while back discussing a similar issue on an earlier pump variant that exhibited a similar problem but that may have just been a one-off:

Edited by Costas

I had the same problem with the pumps of my 42043 and 42053 sets after 2 of 3 years. Both where replaced without any problem by Lego. 

have the same problem. My leak hole is near LEGO sign, around the base also:laugh:

Just to follow-up, LEGO Service replaced my spare pumps with the reinforced version bb875.

All good...!

9SYWHK.jpg

Edited by Costas

On 6/21/2019 at 12:52 PM, trinitechnic said:

@Costas, Good day, can you please explain the process of getting lego to replace these? I myself have at least ten of these and stress fractures in four of them...

As Timoonn has stated - Contact LEGO service in your country.

Go to the LEGO website specific to your country and look for the 'support' link. In there you will find steps to replace broken and missing bricks etc - I just used that link and then entered my details etc...

I bought a Merceds Arocs set off BrickLink awhile back, as I bought it used, I decided to fix it myself, just put some super glue over the affected area, just a tip to any future thread readers who can't get a replacement for whatever reason.

On 6/22/2019 at 11:32 PM, MisteryMan said:

I bought a Merceds Arocs set off BrickLink awhile back, as I bought it used, I decided to fix it myself, just put some super glue over the affected area, just a tip to any future thread readers who can't get a replacement for whatever reason.

I did this on some of my old pumps, it didn't actually help. You can check by putting the bottom of the pump in a container of water, the air inlet is through the top.

Might have helped if I prepped the surface a bit better though.

On 3/13/2021 at 1:45 PM, i really dont know said:

I did this on some of my old pumps, it didn't actually help. You can check by putting the bottom of the pump in a container of water, the air inlet is through the top.

Might have helped if I prepped the surface a bit better though.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:03 PM, pleegwat said:

Pumps can also leak internally, which is not as easily fixed.

I ended up getting a replacement. As my fix did stop working. Found that out while building my Arocs, and was almost finished :hmpf_bad:...