Takanuinuva

What part do you have way to much of but refuse to get rid of any of it?

For me it would be the standard technic pins. I have more that I might ever need but I don't want to get rid of any.

Olive Green cheese slopes. I loaded up on them at the Pick-a-Brick wall back when they were still super rare, without any thought as to how I would actually use them.

34 minutes ago, tafkatb said:

Olive Green cheese slopes. I loaded up on them at the Pick-a-Brick wall back when they were still super rare, without any thought as to how I would actually use them.

How about making a model of moldy cheese? haha

I have no qualms with getting rid of stuff up to the point of simply throwing "useless" LEGO pieces in the trash, but technically I'm not at that point where I think I have too much of anything. I may hate having to find storage space, but once one actually starts to build, even seemingly large piles of Technic pins dwindle relatively fast.

Mylenium

Do minifig parts in general count? My storage boxes are getting hard to close and I don't have room to expand without another major rearrangement.

I have too many black 2xn slopes. When I got back in after my dark age, I bought the multiple copies of the MMV, which has a ton of them.

Honestly, the only reason I have too many is that when I am rummaging I pull one out thinking it is a 2xn block, only to find it's a slope! Since they have the same underside and they tend to rest upside-down due to the slope, they get me every time. I tried to sort them all away, sequestering them to their own bin, but they still turn up with far too much regularity.

The opposite also exists somewhat.

Maybe not a specific part, but I find Classic sets just had a whole load of colors and only a few of each part at most. 

Edited by TeriXeri

38 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Maybe not a specific part, but I find Classic sets just had a whole load of colors and only a few of each part at most.

Same here - as do the "bulk" brick boxes - so many colors, but so few bricks of the same "size"

Best
Thorsten 

My challenge is coming up with clever imaginative ways to use of those way too many parts that I refuse to get rid of in MOCs.  :pir-classic:

Everything can be filler. 

I guess I have more of the constraction parts than I would use, but even those parts work their way in.

16 hours ago, Toastie said:

Same here - as do the "bulk" brick boxes - so many colors, but so few bricks of the same "size"

Best
Thorsten 

Wouldn't it be great if you could get single-color bulk boxes? Say 100-200 basic parts (bricks, slopes, plates) of the same color?

1 hour ago, Karalora said:

Wouldn't it be great if you could get single-color bulk boxes? Say 100-200 basic parts (bricks, slopes, plates) of the same color?

They used to have bulk assortments (I think polybags rather than boxes, but the same idea) like that back in the early 2000s, when I was coming out of my dark ages. IIRC, for a brief period one could get Sand Red bulk parts packs; I dearly wish I’d ordered a bunch of those.

5 hours ago, Karalora said:

Oh that would be really nice. I bought them in even smaller sizes back then … but all had one color. The good'ol days

19 hours ago, Karalora said:

When I was a kid, they had exactly that (early 90ies). As I remember, they were small cube-shaped boxes full of basic bricks in just one color. That was the time when Lego was pretty much only using the basic colors, and yopu could get them in white, yellow, red and blue (I think). There also was a similar box full of all kinds of slopes, which I also got a couple of for the ever growing city I had as a kid.

Good times...

I really don't understand why Lego doesn't do something like that nowadays. Even the most basic boxes you can get now have lots of specialized parts and often way too many different colors, too.

5 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

I really don't understand why Lego doesn't do something like that nowadays. Even the most basic boxes you can get now have lots of specialized parts and often way too many different colors, too.

I agree, I know they offer things like Pick a Brick for basic parts, but that simply doesn't work so well for everyone, and the website Pick a Brick is nowhere as cheap as something like a mass produced Classic box.

I have no experience with Pick a Brick walls either as not all countries/areas have LEGO stores anywhere close.

Right now, the biggest LEGO boxes in the Classic theme are 900 parts for €40 and 1500 parts for €65, great price/part ratios, but many different part types and colors.

Example , one of the most common parts in the 1500 parts set are 1x2 bricks, 176 total, but there are 20 different colors (not counting transparent colors)

And on pick a brick they are €0.11 each, which is one of the cheaper part type, when other basic brick parts go well over €0,15+. (standard 2x4 are €0.22), overall an expensive method for basic parts even if directly from LEGO itself.

If they had something with less colors and more of the same part type in Classic that'd be amazing, but with the existence of Pick a Brick I don't see that happening.

Edited by TeriXeri

For me it's the old colours (light/dark grey and brown). I find it hard to tell them apart when building under artificial light so I've just spent an afternoon separating them out - and I've realised just how much I have!! Now to decide what to do with them!! (I'll probably keep them as filler/landscaping)

Originally, in the 80s and 90s, you could order a bricks or plates assortment pack:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=10009-1#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

I used to order tons like this.  You would only get one color.  Then they started making certain bricks within there (not all of them) available in bulk packs of like 100 or something.  I bought a lot of the 1x2 bricks like that, but they didn't release the odd numbered bricks, so that sucked.  Then they allowed you to buy boxes of the larger bricks in bulk at the Lego stores.  They quit doing that, although it wasn't as good a deal as packing your own bricks anyway.  Now we're left with pick a brick or getting lucky that it's on a wall.

You really want to kick yourself?  I was lucky enough to be around and recognize this for what it was at the time... awesome.  For a limited time, they sold the cypress trees in bulk.  I ordered several packs, everything I could afford at the time.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=10113-1#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

As for bricks I have too many of... none.  Seriously, who has too many bricks, even if they're weird?  I find a use for them.  If I hit a Lego store and the pick a brick wall has something interesting, my minimum of one type of brick is one large cup.  If it's a good one, I may get 3 cups of one element (that's about a gallon ziploc bag full).  I find that I use a ton of them in MOCs and since I rarely get to Lego stores and am not in a LUG, I have to get bricks where I can.  Most bricks I have if I need a couple, but it's when I make a MOC that need a thousand or more, so I don't mess around. :-)

Edited by Grover

Separators. I have too many, but I always buy them on BL to add to an order if they are cheap.